X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caulking toilet base

I have been told yes I should and no I should not caulk the base of the toilet. I would like to know that you plumbers do.

Thanks
    Charles

Caulk everywherexcepthe back of the base.

Originally posted by NW Diver View Post
    I have been told yes I should and no I should not caulk the base of the toilet. I would like to know that you plumbers do. Thanks
    I caulk all of our toilets except for the very back. That leaves an air space to hopefully allow any moisture to evaporate.
    The bead all the way around looks good and seals anything from getting under the toilet and makes cleaning the floor much easier.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Re: Caulking toilet base

In My town, job doesn't get signed off with out a sanatary seal on the pot! Keeps unhealthy critters out. Hospitals seal them.
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Guys I wanted to add a question to this thread please. I think I might have read on this Forum, that caulking the entire base might be bad if the wax bowl ring started to leak. If I remember right the Pro said water trapped against a wood floor could lead to the toilet falling into the floor? Any truth to that, could the caulking hide such a leak?

Comment

It's code it caulk toilets to the floor, but I only do it on tile floors. I would never ever think about caulking toilets to vinyl or wood floors, as common sense has to prevail somewhere. (my opinion)

Frank...I would never caulk all the way around a toilet either, as I leave the back open for any water to escape. A toilet would have to be leaking for a very long time for your scenario to play out, and by that time, signs of leakage will show down on the next floor before that all happens.

Comment

it makes no difference what the surface is. every plumbing fixture in contact with the floor or wall requires a caulked connection.

the purpose of the caulking is to make a sanitary seal and prevent any dirt, water or waste from getting into the that area that would make it impossible to clean and thus form mold or create an unsanitary condition. same reason why the tub is caulked at the floor and walls.

it's code and there is no interpretation between a wood floor, tile floor, vinyl, or carpeted floor.

this has been discussed dozens of times on the forum and i still can't understand why some people get it and some refuse to get it.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Rick I understand that if it's code, you follow the code and accept the reasons you gave. I still wonder if the caulking would hide a leak of the wax bowl ring and cause serious damage to a wood floor? Flux may be bending the code but unless the floor is being washed down with a fire hose wouldn't his method alert the owner of a active leak? Thanks, Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                Rick I understand that if it's code, you follow the code and accept the reasons you gave. I still wonder if the caulking would hide a leak of the wax bowl ring and cause serious damage to a wood floor? Flux may be bending the code but unless the floor is being washed down with a fire hose wouldn't his method alert the owner of a active leak? Thanks, Frank
                "Typically speaking", a properly set water closet will not leak unless there is movement. Bees wax does not degrade or break down. The water closet is required to have a sanitary seal, end of story. However, some repair plumbers opt to not caulk or leave a break in the back for those times where the user of the water closet is sloppy in their maintenance and does not reset a bad seal. It is still against Code but they are trying to protect their customers. I caulk all water closets.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                  Frank, If you spent $15,000 on hardwood floors throughout your down stairs, and under your toilet, would you want a Plumber putting white caulk underneath your toilet? Ever seen hardwood buckle because of toilet leaks hidden by caulk? I'm a firm believer in seeing the leak and not hiding the leak for months because of so called sanitary reasons. Rick can do whatever he wishes for his customers, but he certainly doesn't speak for mine.

A well fasten toilet flange is way more important than caulk under a toilet.

If that means I'm a "hack" then so be it!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                    "Typically speaking", a properly set water closet will not leak unless there is movement. Bees wax does not degrade or break down. The water closet is required to have a sanitary seal, end of story. However, some repair plumbers opt to not caulk or leave a break in the back for those times where the user of the water closet is sloppy in their maintenance and does not reset a bad seal. It is still against Code but they are trying to protect their customers. I caulk all water closets.

Mark
                    It's against the law for people to drive 1 mile an hour over the speed limit, but yet you and everyone else does it..end of story. Each state determines a maximum safe driving speed, just like our Plumbing code determines minimal code standards which basically boils down to an opinion. You're absolutely correct with..a properly set toilet is more important.
                    Last edited by Flux; 01-31-2012, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Funny Mark, last week I read Terry love leaves the rear of toilets un caulked. He also only uses H.D. shims at rear only.
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

i've installed literally 10,000 plus toilets in new construction and several hundred in service. as we know what you do without an inspector looking over your shoulder is up to you. but when you actually have commercial inspectors who use to be plumbers and plumbing contractors, they know the reason for the code.

not to mention in a public setting subject to the health department, they even inspect more throughly for caulking. and i'm not just talking toilets.

caulking is also an adhesive that glues the fixture to the opposing surface. a toilet with only 2 bolts has a tendency to either rock or turn if bumped. caulking when properly forced under the edge, will seal and adhere it to the floor. same as an under mount sink to seal it from leaks and glue it in place from falling.

caulking comes in every color both sanded and smooth and even clear. there is no reason why a properly installed toilet or fixture will leak. especially after flushing it several times prior to caulking it.

remember that the code is the minimum acceptable standard.

caulking is the code.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Not code here. Don't like to do it on wood floors for the reasons already mentioned. I don't find it necessary imho, the wax seals it, the bolts hold it. My toilet in my house is not caulked. I replaced it the other day and guess what no footprint left over from the old one.
                          Ray

“Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think.”— Francisco d'Anconia
                          Atlas Shrugged (Part 2, Chapter 2, Page 411)

www.mauiplumbinginc.com

Comment

"i've installed literally 10,000 plus toilets in new construction and several hundred in service."

In 30 years that would be over 30 toilets installed a month, every month, for 30 years!

Comment

I appreciate all the replies. I have changed maybe ten or less wax rings over the years and none of those toilets were caulked t the floor. The homes were old and I remember several of the circumstances that I think lead to the wax ring failing but I could be mistaken. In my first house we ignorantly stepped on the toilet when painting which might have caused it to shift a bit (gets back to Marks comment about securing it properly). I know for sure my wife got into a habit of pouring hot liquids down the bowl to avoid which might have melted a ring or two, ( can that happen?). Lastly with my daughters growing up I had occassion to plunge quit a bit and maybe that caused a ring failure?
                              I have mentioned here about the time I saw a plumber mix plaster of paris to level and give a real nice finish look to the base. Recently when I had what I thought was a odor due to waste water or broken vent, I replaced a wax ring on a toilet that I had caulked to the floor and it was a real job to free up the bowl and remove all that caulking. I can see both perspectives given by Flux and Rick, you guys do what is necessary and what you also think is best in the given situation. I have a lot of respect for all of you, to do such physically demanding work day in and day out. My knees and back gave out years ago, I wish you all good health. Frank

Comment

Working...
                              X