a hypothetical question.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a hypothetical question.

a homeowner wants a furnace check-up. the owner schedules a cleaning/inspection from a heating and cooling company. after inspection they are told the furnace is unsafe and needs to be replaced NOW. the owner says that isn't possible due to funds. can they shut off your gas to the furnace and force you to be without a furnace? or does the owner have the final say?

we know there are scams run every day and one never knows if you may be getting a pile of bs. your thoughts appreciated. thanks, just curious.

Re: a hypothetical question.

The contractor would need to prove that its unsafe and why. It would have to be pretty unsafe for me to shut it down but every year i have to on 4 or 5 heating systems. I dont like doing it because most homeowners are skepticle. Most because of dangerous levels of carbon monoxide or pose a serious fire risk. Everyone is encouraged to have a second opinion. Usually just shutting the gas off isnt enough protection i sometime pluck a hidden wire if i think soneone might restart after i leave.

Comment

Seriously? If I pay you to do a job and you decide to go against my wishes, there is going to be a problem. It is none of your business what I decided to do with your advice, I pay you to give me advice not to enforce it. You are not the plumbing police.. or the gas police or anything else. Well.. from the homeowners point of view anyhow. That's how I would see it. I would leave my opinion in writing, you can even use a bright red pen and mark "DANGEROUS SITUATION" on the bill, have the "its dangerous" conversation, and call it a job well done. Don't attempt to enforce your opinion on someone. You have no authority to do so. How would you like it if you took your car in for repair and the mechanic said you needed new tires and decided he was going to "enforce" his opinion on you? And for the guy who said he would pull a hidden wire, I would probably end up suing you for sabotage and malicious destruction of property. With those tricks, you're not going to be in business very long. Just my 2 cent opinion.. take it for what it's worth. Note: While my language sounds strong, I mean no offense and am just trying to make a point from "the other side of the fence".

Comment

If your not sure get the gas company to come out for a second opinion. If they don't like what they see they will (at least here) lock out the service where it comes into the house.

If their tech think it's OK and something bad happens to the customer later, they have better insurance and lawyers than most contractors do.

Comment

It's been my experience that when I had something unsafe, the gas company will write up a report saying so. Electric wise, the power company yanks the meter. It's amazing how fast they show up to remove it, but how looooong it takes them to set them.

I would venture a guess that it would be smart money to put your findings on the invoice and have them sign acknowledging they are aware the unit is unsafe. At least this way you have proof you made an honest effort to protect the customer. This could backfire however, if they liked suing people, they might try Suing if they find somebody to say you are trying to rip them off by scamming them into a new system. I suppose that's where having a lawyer in your shirt pocket to tell you the right things to say.

Red tag it, shut the gas off to the appliance, get their acknowledgement in writing.
          We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
            The contractor would need to prove that its unsafe and why. It would have to be pretty unsafe for me to shut it down but every year i have to on 4 or 5 heating systems. I dont like doing it because most homeowners are skepticle. Most because of dangerous levels of carbon monoxide or pose a serious fire risk. Everyone is encouraged to have a second opinion. Usually just shutting the gas off isnt enough protection i sometime pluck a hidden wire if i think soneone might restart after i leave.
            Yeah you can never be too careful these days especially with a lawyer at every corner trying to sew you for looking at him the wrong way.

Comment

Working...
            X