X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hose Bib repair or replacement

My outdoor hose bib leaks from the base of the handle when in the open position. I am thinking about trying to repair it myself if the repair is as simple as removing the handle and replacing a washer or applying some teflon tape. The other option is to replace the bib.

I understand these hose bibs are connected in one of two ways: sweat or compression. I'm not up to soldering, so I'm not going to attempt to replace it myself if it is the sweat type. I am good with a wrench, so if it's just a matter of removing a compression fitting, I can do that.

I'm attaching a photo of my bib. Can anyone please confirm for me that this is a compression fitting? I see where I would use two wrenches to remove it, one to hold steady on the pipe going into the wall, and the other to turn and remove the bib.

If I replace it, do new bibs have a standard thread type so the new one will just screw on where I removed the old one?

And finally, I looked at some online photos of new hose bib hardware. Is the coupling on my hose bib a vacuum breaker? I never thought about it until I read up on this and learned how they prevent backflow contamination.

I know these are simple questions, but knowing more about this little project before I get started will make things go smoother. I would call a plumber, but it seems like a small job for the cost of a service call. Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files

Re: Hose Bib repair or replacement

After looking at it this it is not a DIY job call a plumber. You'll pay but, if the plumber is worth his weight in copper, or iron, or gold, he will get it done. Thanks for the pic.

Comment

Ten minute job tops. Take off the top screw then the handle then the nut. Get some, I think it's called graphite packing thread (I may be wrong on the name) and wrap a few turns around the base of the shaft. Put the nut back on then the handle. Don't even have to shut off the water supply.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul GA View Post
        Ten minute job tops. Take off the top screw then the handle then the nut. Get some, I think it's called graphite packing thread (I may be wrong on the name) and wrap a few turns around the base of the shaft. Put the nut back on then the handle. Don't even have to shut off the water supply.
        Paul, are you serious about not shutting the water supply? I'm pretty sure that underneath that nut is the washer. No offense but I think Reardon is offering a little better advice if the homeowner can't find the shut off. Sure looks harmless enough until you give the wrench a twist and that rotted base that looks to be fifty years old goes pop!
        http://www.ehow.com/how_6316073_repl...ucet-bibs.html
        Last edited by Frankiarmz; 02-28-2012, 11:47 PM.

Comment

You can not cut off water and fix it.. water is cheap.. Get it replaced!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Water makes canyons in the earth. The washer may not seat right. This is one of those 1/4 turns valves right? Danze?? Give me a break. I'm not as old as that; but try to find a new seat for it. It's old replace it!

Comment

I know how to shutoff the water. There's a ball valve shutoff just before the PRV. I've used it before to shutoff water when repairing my kitchen faucet. Easy stuff.

I'm OK with removing the handle to replace the washer and apply some new thread sealant tape. Maybe I should try that first to see if it stops the leak.

For the replacement option, I was trying to assess the level of difficulty. Would appreciate if someone could answer my questions about removing the bib ... is this a compression type, and if replacement bibs have standard threads. If this bib is a sweat connection, I would not even attempt it.

Thanks for your input.

Comment

what you have is a 1/2'' compression hose bibb with vacuum breaker.

if it's just leaking around the handle, it's the packing that needs tightening or replacing.

it's a simple job to replace the packing and yes it can be done with the water still on to the house. as long as the faucet is kept closed the packing nut can be removed and the stem will stay put. but honestly the cost of the new hose bibb $15.00 or less is better off being replaced with a new one.

arrowhead brass now makes a hose bibb with a built in vacuum breaker that flows better and doesn't sing when the hose is still live and nozzle shut off.

the hose bibb might have the same compression thread and that would make a simple swap out. otherwise you need to pull off the old ferrule and for me that's simple. for you it might not be.

purchase the new bibb and check to see if the nut is the same thread from the old to new.

if you do attempt to repair the packing, remember that the stem washer is old and the seat is non removable.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks, Rick!

I was looking at Arrowhead. As you know, they are made in the USA (hurray!).

We are both in CA. Do you know if the CA Plumbing Code requires a vacuum breaker (VB) on a residential hose bib? There is a backflow preventer where my unit connects to the municipal supply, so I wasn't sure if I am required to have a VB on the bib (probably good practice anyway). If required, and this is something a home inspector looks for if I ever sell my place, I wonder if the inspector would recognize a bib with an internal VB? Might be safer to use the external VB that would be obvious to anyone.

<Just realized that "bibb" is spelled with three b's!>
                  Last edited by AverageHomeowner; 02-29-2012, 02:06 AM.

Comment

the integral vac hose bibbs are newer and a much better design. the handles are yellow color to id them as a vacuum breaker bibb.

unless your hose bibbs are on a separate irrigation backflow preventer, you would still need one if it shares the potable water with the domestic potable house system.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                    X