X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Garage Heaters

Not sure if this question belongs in the HVAC section but since it involves gas plumbing I thought I would post it here.

I would like to install a heater in my garage while working on my cars, projects etc. I’m not sure whether to choose a radiant type heater or one that circulates air. What are the benefits of one over the other? For example one question I had was would a radiant heater be effective when you get under the car. Do you need direct line of sight to the heater for it to be effective.
    Another question I had is that I see both vented and unvented models of heaters. I assume unvented models are widely used but are they safe? Are they legal in CA?

If anyone one here has either installed one for themselves or customers I’d be interested in any suggestion regarding specific ones worth looking at.

Re: Gas Garage Heaters

I don't think you could go wrong with either application.

Me personally I would hang a unit in the garage, cause to be honest, how long are you going to be in there in the winter time?

Warm floors are nice but..it's a matter of opinion I guess.

I have no idea what California code is venting wise.

Check out this company, I've installed quite a few of these units with my buddy, and they are very versatile and easy to install. Lot's of information for you to read. Residential, Hot Dawg
    Last edited by Flux; 03-01-2012, 08:41 AM.

Comment

most adds for non vented heater say not for sale in CA. for example, ProCom Vent-Free Dual Fuel Infrared Radiant Wall Heater — 3-Plaque, 18,000 BTU, Model# MD3TPA | Dual-Fuel: Gas + Propane | Northern Tool + Equipment

I have non vented in fared heater in my shop, two similar to what the URL shows in back rooms, and two large 100.000 BTU units hanging from the ceiling, I tried one of the blue flame units and that a IMO was a disaster, I tried a old house furnace that was 150,000 BTU, not good, IMO,

the only air heater type unit I have found any good is the tube type that sounds like a jet engine, Mr. Heater Portable Propane Forced Air Heater — 170,000 BTU, Model# MH170FAVT | Propane Heaters | Northern Tool + Equipment mine is a diesel version. it heats and directs the heated air to you,

if things are very cold, (30 and below) the in fared units are not as good as they have to heat the objects up first before the air, but they do a nice job when the temps are warmer.

in the back room I use the heaters to keep the rooms at a workable temps, and there comfortable,
      the shop I only heat when needed, (it is 30x50 and part of the ceiling is 16' high).

I have never had a problem with propane units smelling them or other, the diesel is not as kind, as you will taste it in your mouth after using it for a few hrs. if you use true #1 kerosene in it it nearly goes away. I use #2 farm diesel.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks for the replies Flux and BHD. I will check out that Hot Dawg as an option. Here in Socal it does not get as cold as some parts in the winter but it can go into the high 30s/low 40s at night and it can get uncomfortable after a while.

Comment

In my wood shop, I have a old trailer house furnace, forced air, like it because it has no open flame so dust and vapors are not a problem, or as much of a problem. and open flame heater in that situation my not be as safe, the wood shop is smaller 24 x 30, and the 100,000 BTU unit heats it up fairly fast from below freezing if it is mild out, it is very nice and fast to heat the room.
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
          X