X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gator bites or shark fittings

I am assuming this type of fitting would not be safe for interior low pressure copper gas line Comments please!.

Re: Gator bites or shark fittings

the main reason is the composition of the o-ring.

plus i would think the non removable connection would be a safer bet to keep the untrained from removing them.

propress makes them for gas and they have a yellow o-ring inside.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

code (here) says flare fittings only (compression not permitted) on copper gas lines. The "bites" make it interesting.....

Comment

As far as I know...water only for the bite systems....for the reason Rick mention....
        Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
        You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          the main reason is the composition of the o-ring.

plus i would think the non removable connection would be a safer bet to keep the untrained from removing them.

propress makes them for gas and they have a yellow o-ring inside.

rick.
          Yeah that's really good advice there... Can you get both of these connections at any home repair place?

Comment

Originally posted by Socal John View Post
            Yeah that's really good advice there... Can you get both of these connections at any home repair place?

I have not seen the ones with a yellow o-ring inside...but in bigger cities....it might be available....
            Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
            You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

sharkbite for gas!!!!
              the inspector would love that, he is a big fan of this kind of innovation.
              OMG. I wont even use those pieces of crap on h2o.
              I know we gotta change with the times, and new materials are constantly coming onto the market and slowly making their way into code approvals, but where gas is concerned, if you even have to ask about using this kind of fitting for use, maybe you should rethink what you are trying to do and hire a gasfitter . There is more than a little flood of water at stake here, you are risking lives when you play with gas. Be careful.

Comment

The only John Guest style fittings I use are in water coolers. I have seen too many leaks from these fittings. Usually it is after the water is turned off and the pressure drops that the joint seems to leak. I know some people that love them as a way to get from CPVC to whatever.

I am a firm believer of steel pipe being the ONLY way to run gas. I can't believe that people without a contractors licence is even able to purchase the parts to run gas.
                AllurePlumbing.com
                • leak detection
                • drain cleaning
                • utility locating
                • conductor fault locating
                • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Shark bite. Please tell me it's a pex gasline. Seen one the other day, in the yard no less. Cheapskates used black to get underground, adapted to pex ran across the yard and came back up with black. I love finding stuff like that

Comment

Originally posted by stolen View Post
                    Shark bite. Please tell me it's a pex gasline. Seen one the other day, in the yard no less. Cheapskates used black to get underground, adapted to pex ran across the yard and came back up with black. I love finding stuff like that
                    hha yesterday i saw a gas line on the roof of someones house literally just laying there (tracpipe) on the finished roof NO strap in sight and the kicker was they came out of the roof with a 1'' isolator and no tar or aything to prevent rain water/draft/amd anything else from going back down into the home and to top it off on the other penetration into the home they used a 1 1/2 vent flashing and kinda just dropped it into the home i mean WHAT THE **** i literally was generally scared for the tenants/homeowners in that home...... i tried to take a picture but this was the neighbors home and i was clearing a nasty mainline stoppage from the roof with my helper running the snake from down below and me heaving and hoeing the cable down the vent stack trying to clear this mess, my customer was in full blown panic mode when i showed up so my sense of urgency was at a high.

Comment

Working...
                    X