X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plumbing the Drain for a Dual Sink Vanity

Is this a correct way to plumb the drains for a two sink vanity?

More specifically:

Would it have been better to use a San T rather than the Wye T?

Will I need to use internal vents for each sink, or can they share the original vent on the right side of the stack?

It was plumbed by a friend, but I want a second opinion before I close up the walls.

*I'm only concerned about the horizontal portions because I am in a condo high rise. We decided to bubble out into the cabinet rather than cut into the waste stack because there are at least 6 bathroom sinks above me that use that same waste line. There was not enough space in the wall to keep it all in the wall.
    Attached Files

Re: Plumbing the Drain for a Dual Sink Vanity

What did your Inspector think of the work?

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

The inspector didn't comment on it, but he spent most of his time looking at the rest of the project, which passed rough-in.

I'm also pursuing this question out of mere curiosity. Personally, I think it will work, but wouldn't a san T be smoother/recommended?

Comment

How did that pass inspection? You have 2 fixtures behind a vent there.

No offense byuanimal, but your friend should never attempt to do Plumbing again, and your inspector should be fired for being incompetent.

Comment

Wow! Thanks for the warning. Maybe my concerns were well founded. I will need to have someone else come fix it.

Any recommendations? Could it work if we add some internal vents? Maybe we're running into some space/technical limitations.

Comment

Up at the cieling it looks like a 3" duct comes across in fron of the waste and vent stack and is still inside the wall. That should be enough room to cross over with a 1-1/2" ABS pipe.

Comment

The duct had to be squashed a little around those pipes, but we probably have room for the ABS vent, assuming we can get around that waste pipe. I think my friend was thinking it was close enough to the right sink's vent that it would be okay, apparently not.

What else should I make sure the new plumber fixes? The responses received thus far are suggesting this guy had no idea what he was doing.

Comment

Your pictures make it hard to judge sizes or distances. If the sinks are really close you may want to consider a two part waste with end outlet. If they are further apart you may need to figure out a wet vent or a double san-tee. Either way two traps on a single sanitary tee will not fly.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                  Your pictures make it hard to judge sizes or distances. If the sinks are really close you may want to consider a two part waste with end outlet. If they are further apart you may need to figure out a wet vent or a double san-tee. Either way two traps on a single sanitary tee will not fly.

Mark
                  Mark, I.P.C. allows 2 traps (lav) on a single sanitary tee because the D.f.U. is 1 for 1 1/4" traps.

Even though the line is 1-1/2" (looks like 1-1/2" in the picture) with a maximum 2 dfu, he's connecting into what looks like 2" and that allows 4 D.F.U's if I'm correct.

This picture here just needs a back vent in between both fixture drain outlets.

Comment

This is interesting . The Guys over at the plumbing Zone, love a challenge like this!
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                      This picture here just needs a back vent in between both fixture drain outlets.
                      You're right. It is all 1.5" pipe except for the vent, waste, and crossover - which are 2".

If we can run 1.5" ABS from the crossover (just above the existing double san-tee) to the left sink, will that solve our problem?

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                        This is interesting . The Guys over at the plumbing Zone, love a challenge like this!
                        So those guys want to battle? Count me in for a good old fashion bench brawl j/k

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                          So those guys want to battle? Count me in for a good old fashion bench brawl j/k
                          This Irishman loves to stir the pot ! Glad You have My back Brothers !
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                          X