Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: is there a decent inexpensive toilet?

The A/S Champion does have impressive specs. I didn't consider it after researching it online. This toilet has an unusual flush tower that has been troublesome in the past. There have been several revisions, that's why it is the Champion 4. It's the 4th version. I am not a pro but firmly believe no matter what toilet you buy, it's going to need something replaced down the road. Most flappers can be changed very quickly and easily. It's another thing to disassemble a flush tower to change a seal. I could be wrong about this, I'm sure the pros here will correct me if this is the case.

Comment

I installed a Champion 4 one month ago, works fine, has an enormous flush valve that removes waste in a hurry. Was trouble-free to install, seems solidly built, no issues yet (knock on porcelain).

Plastic flush handle is junk though.

Bought two more to replace old Kohlers that swirl the waste round and round the bowl.

Comment

Me again...

I checked on the Gerber and it's on back order, I'd have to wait a week or two. I went to a local big box store just to look. I saw two that intrigued me, a Mansfield Summit 3 and an Eljer Diplomat. Both have 3" flush valves and are rated at 1000 grams. Are either of these worthwhile or should I wait for the Gerber?

Thanks again, your time and patience is much appreciated!

Comment

see post #11

Comment

Depends on what you mean by inexpensive. If you mean under $100, see post #11. If you mean under $250, there are a number of good choices. To me, an "expensive" toilet means $450 to $900+

Comment

I ended up buying the Eljer Diplomat, it says online it's a clone of the A/S Cadet. I installed a Cadet in my other bathroom about 2 years ago, it flushes great and I have had no problems. The Eljer is a kit that includes pretty much everything and says the install requires no tools. This is pretty much true although I used a screwdriver to snug down the tank to bowl bolts. The install was very easy, the bowl sat level on the floor and I had no leaks afterwards. One change I made is the supplied wax ring has a horn, I used a regular wax ring instead.

I know many pros are not A/S fans and I've read about problems in the past with quality control. Maybe they changed or I just got lucky but I'm very satisfied so far.

Thanks again for the replies!

Comment

Working...
              X