Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is there a decent inexpensive toilet?

Hi all,

I want to replace a "no name" toilet in a small half bath. It's old, doesn't flush well, and runs despite having pretty much everything replaced. It's not worth putting any more money into.

This half bath doesn't get used all that much. I can't see putting a high end toilet in it. Is there a worthwhile toilet for under $200?

Thanks!

Re: is there a decent inexpensive toilet?

GERBER VIPER....there I said it...
    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Gerber

Comment

Kohler Wellworth
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

99% of my toilets I install are Gerber. The Gerber Viper for around a hundred bucks will not let you down. It flushes great, uses basic parts, looks good, and is heavy quality.

Comment

Kohler Wellworth $479! at Home Depot

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
            Kohler Wellworth
            I did not realize that some toilets are 10" rough-in.
            (I always wondered why they did not make 1.6 GPF toilet tanks smaller so thathe toilet extends less into the room.)
            I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
            It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
            "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Re: Kohler Wellworth $479! at Home Depot

I'm not familiar with the gerber. No one around here stocks them. Do y'all prefer them to the proflow/briggs?
              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                I'm not familiar with the gerber. No one around here stocks them. Do y'all prefer them to the proflow/briggs?

Briggs is not available in my area....so I couldn't answer that fairly...
                Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Yep, we recently started using gerber maxwells for our builder grade toilets. I'll take them over the briggs in a hurry. On par with the vitras and the vortens
                  Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                  No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Re: Kohler Wellworth $148! at Home Depot

Kohler Wellworth
                    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

... i think the viper looks like a winner!

Comment

You get what you pay for in toilets. An under $100 model will simply have a regular flapper and regular barely 2" trapway. That will never flush as well as a "gulper" type flush, and a 2½" or so trapway. Most decent brands will glaze the trapway in all their models, but it is worth asking.
                        Now, the best thing you can do with the cheap toilets is buy the cheapest single ply paper. CHARMIN et al will NOT flush.

Comment

I don't like the tower style flush that's made by Kohler today, and imo they ruined a perfectly good toilet regarding the wells worth. We all know why they did it, and it wasn't because it's a better flush or the 2" trap way. They wanted to control the amount of water in the flush, and they were tired of us Plumbers taking off their flapper with the float, in favor of a traditional flapper to give the customer a better flush.

To be honest, most of my customers hate the new Kohler toilets.

Comment

I'm leaning towards the Viper. It has a straightforward design which is something I prefer. I am not a fan of oddball designs such as flush towers. Flappers are cheap and easy to change. I emailed a local supply house to check stock, I should know tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Comment

Question on how the American Standard Champion 4 compares? I can get for $199 at Lowes, not the cheapest but also not a bad price for its claim of being able to flush a bucket of golf balls.

Comment

Working...
                              X