Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wax ring won't seal, why? URGENT, I need my toilet fixed.

I changed my toilet today with help. I took out an older toilet and replaced with a newer toilet, although not brand new. My floor does not have a flange. The old toilet sat fine on the wax ring and was screwed into the floor with four screws with no flange. With the newer toilet. I have tried two wax rings (not stacked) and neither one sealed. What would cause them to not seal? The first one was just a regular wax ring with the black thing attached to it, like the old toilet had. When that didn't work, I bought a second wax ring that had more wax with the black thing. It worked a little better, but still leaked. And as far as I can tell the toilet lines up with the drain hole. The floor is totally flat, it has linoleum all the way up to the drain pipe.

I'm not talking a small leak, it is leaking enough to have to use a towel to soak up the water, and then the towel gets fairly soaked too. It is leaking enough that I can't use my toilet.

What is the difference between the wax ring with and without the black thing attached to them? Does either one make a difference as to which seals better for different situations as with or without a flange?

How can I get my toilet to stop leaking? What's the best way to fix it now?

I can't get my old toilet back, it's been taken to the dump. Putting the old one back in, is not an option.

Re: Wax ring won't seal, why? URGENT, I need my toilet fixed.

is your floor wood or concrete?
    discountdrainshi.com

Comment

Try stacking the a set of wax rings.....without pics....its gonna be my first guess......
      Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
      You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

what he said
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

You may even need three rings depending upon the design of the replacement toilet compared to the old one

Cactus Man

Comment

since your dealing with a used toilet why was it removed in the first place?
            NO cracks in the porcelain is there?
            years ago I had a toilet in the house that started to leak in the porcelain and was looking like a wax ring leak, finally replaced it and never had any more problem, in time the crack showed and was visible,
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

The first thing I would probably do is install a proper closet flange.Then shim the toilet to take out any wobble and then set the wax ring and set the toilet ..Done
              ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Those old toilets had longer horns and would be slightly recessed in the pipe.
                Putty was commonly used as a seal. Any toilet of recent vintage needs a flange
                to be properly mounted.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                  since your dealing with a used toilet why was it removed in the first place?
                  NO cracks in the porcelain is there?
                  years ago I had a toilet in the house that started to leak in the porcelain and was looking like a wax ring leak, finally replaced it and never had any more problem, in time the crack showed and was visible,
                  It was given to me by a family member who took a bathroom out of their new home purchase for remodeling purposes. Apparently the toilet sat in their garage with water in it that froze because I found out tonight it is cracked. Too bad I already threw my old toilet at the dump. Now, I have to buy a new one. This is an expensive project!! It was supposed to save me money, and it's costing me more money than if I just left my old toilet alone that wouldn't come clean no matter how much I cleaned it.

Thanks for all your help.

Comment

This is a very good reason why the plumbing professional will usually protest when requested to install a used item....we never know the history of said item and when we charge and there is a problem.....guess who gets the blame....Sorry to hear about your bad streak of luck....
                    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Keep that toilet in the Family ! Pass it on as a June wedding gift. It will be a wonderful tradition for generations to come! You're probably It's fourth owner.
                      Now give us a picture of the NO FLANGE HOLE , We'll walk You through it.
                      Last edited by toolaholic; 03-06-2012, 09:55 AM.
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                      X