Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• conflicting advice for changing T&P valve on water heater.

what do you guys say? i've heard that to change the T&P valve you should shut the gas supply off, also the water valve to the heater then drain tank down low enough so that dripping at the opening is reduced. i've also heard do all the above BUT not necessary to shut-off gas supply, just turn water heater temp control way down low. and still another saying to just turn control to pilot setting. of course they all say open a hot water valve or valves at sinks etc. what are your recommended steps

Re: conflicting advice for changing T&P valve on water heater.

Its what ever your comfortable with.....me I turn gas valve to vacation or pilot setting....then turn off water and drain down below t & p level...then replace....turn on water and bled air and then turn gas valve back to where it was......
    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

What Darth Vader Says.
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

thanks all.

Comment

It is the "what ifs" that will kill you on this type of job. IF you just drop the water level down a little, pop out the old tp and in with a new one....you could do that with the main burner firing away and never skip a beat! But if the drain valve breaks in the middle of all this, or your sweetie calls on the iphone, and you divert your attention from the job, water runs down, .....you fill in the blanks. There are reasons why certain safety procedures should be followed EVERY time.

Comment

Originally posted by lovetheUSA View Post
            It is the "what ifs" that will kill you on this type of job. IF you just drop the water level down a little, pop out the old tp and in with a new one....you could do that with the main burner firing away and never skip a beat! But if the drain valve breaks in the middle of all this, or your sweetie calls on the iphone, and you divert your attention from the job, water runs down, .....you fill in the blanks. There are reasons why certain safety procedures should be followed EVERY time.
            ...true but doing this chore with the main burner firing away wasn't one of the 'ifs' that were talked about.

Comment

Working...
            X