Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Anyone know how to remove this floor drain backflow preventer?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know how to remove this floor drain backflow preventer?

It's a zurn, or at least the grate says zurn on it. I can feel a little flapper with my finger, so I think it is a backflow preventer. I think it is somehow inserted in the floor drain as the second pic seems to be of the same type drain but with the bfp removed. I reefed on it a bit, but it didn't budge. Is there a trick or do I just get rough with it?

This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Re: Anyone know how to remove this floor drain backflow preventer?

Never seen a floor drain with a back flow device before, but then again I rarely get into commercial applications. The only place I can honestly think of that might have them on residential might be Philadelphia...but I'm not sure.

I was just on Zurn's website, and I didn't realize how many different ways you can get a floor drain....my brain started to hurt looking at them all.

Comment

I never saw one with the BFP without having a cl out built into it
      I would bet the other one fell down into the trap when it got cleaned out

Comment

no... the insert/bfp is bigger diameter than pipe by at least 3/4 inch. looks like it just slides up out, but is corroded in. almost cant believe that as there is no feature to get ahold of to pull it out. Think I will drill and tap the bfp insert for a bolt and use that to pull on. was hoping someone here would have seen the animal before and have a better idea.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

We're talking about a backwater valve integral to the floor drain not backflow preventer right?

Do you have a model number for the floor drain?

No photos in your post so can't see what you got there.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I have seen that one before but it wasn't a Zurn. Mine was a J.R. Smith.

Plastic ball held in place that slid up and down inside a small cage. The top was threaded so it could be removed for snaking. The drain in your first picture might be threaded as well. The second pic doesn't look like it has threads.

Comment

Hay Ace
              After zooming in on the drain , does the center of the drain with the flapper look like a separate threaded in piece ?
              it might unscrew to cl out the pipe

Comment

Yes, backwater valve, not backflow preventer.

Not the ball type; I'm familiar with those. This has a little half-moon barn door hanging vertical in there that I can feel with my finger.

Do think it is a separate piece from the body of the drain. The second pic is of another drain in the same bathroom. appears to be EXACTLY the same drain but with the center backwater valve insert removed.

Don't think it is threaded; no threads in the second drain. appears to be some kind of very close slip fit? seems an odd choice by the designer?

Anyway the job is tabled for a month or two. they were just worried that they had a whole system backing up. It seems instead that they have several floor drains plugged with no way to get to the traps, let alone through them. Told me to quit worrying about it until the mountain shuts down. will break out the drill and sawzall and slide hammer then and see what the darn thing really is. There is no need for a backwater valve on these drains and I'll destroy them getting them out if I have to and no harm done. I'll let you know when I see what the heck they are.

Comment

is everyone but me seeing the photos in the first post?

I've got two placeholders for the thumbnails but no link I can click on
                  to see the photo full size and there is no thimbnail image.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  ---------
                  ---------

Comment

I've installed a few of them. They were Zurn and they fit by compression. When new they can be pried out and pounded in. In your case, perhaps age has gotten the best of the situation. If leverage won't budge it, try cutting it out with a sawsall. If you destroy it and the situation calls for replacement, your Zurn distributor can sell you a replacement insert.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                      is everyone but me seeing the photos in the first post?

I've got two placeholders for the thumbnails but no link I can click on
                      to see the photo full size and there is no thimbnail image.

do you get the "do you want to display only the webpage content that was delivered securely" message? if so click "no". clicking "yes" will cause the little boxes with the x's to come up instead of the photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                        do you get the "do you want to display only the webpage content that was delivered securely" message? if so click "no". clicking "yes" will cause the little boxes with the x's to come up instead of the photos.
                        No, I don't. On my tablet I can see the photos fine (just tried it), but here no go. What file type are the images? JPG, PNG, or something else maybe. Perhaps that is why I don't see them if the file association is not defined in windows.
                        ---------------
                        ---------------
                        ---------
                        ---------

Comment

Working...
                        X