X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPVC Pipe Bursts

I have been in homebuilding 20+ years and worked for a major builder building 300+ homes a year. We converted to CVCP Flowguard in early/mid 90's. When I built my own home in 1996 I used CPVC Flowguard, because I thought it was the best product available. In the past week on two separate occassions I have woke up hearing water dripping/flowing in our finished lower level. On both occassions in the main section of pipe (not near a joint) there were a string of bumps (looks something like a string of poision ivy) and one of the bumps burst open shooting out water. I fixed one on Monday (still floating drywall mud) and another one today. The one today as I cut out a section of pipe (about 6" long) I noticed another section of bumps2-3" long (had not leaked there,yet) about 18" away. Therefore, I cut out the entire section. It is 3/4" line that reduces down to 1/2" when it goes to fixtures. The leak on Monday was probably 30' away from the leak that started last night sometime.
    Has anyone had this problem? Concerned that will have another "burst" when we are gone, so we will start shutting of the water when we leave more than 24hours. Should I take out the drywall and replace all the pipe (seems like the only solution).

Re: CPVC Pipe Bursts

It would help if you have pictures of the "burst" as it means something different to everyone. One of the main problems with CPVC is there are a lot of chemicals which will attack the CPVC. I have seen where a chemical has turned the CPVC into a soft material which expands and then burst like a balloon.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Was this located in an outside wall and exposed to freezing temps by chance? I'd take pics and send them to Flowtard. Could be a product liability case in the making.

Comment

Funny that Mark mentioned turning the CPVC soft. What I see here is that after about 15 years the CPVC gets extremely brittle. So much so that just cutting it causes it to shatter.
        Call your insurance company and make sure you're fully covered for water damages. Its just a matter of time....

Comment

I have tried to post a picture but it hasn't worked I will try it again. The location of the pipe leaks are on inside of the finished conditioned basement about 15' from an exterior wall. The pipe was extremely brittle when I cut it.
          Attached Files

Comment

I get paranoid every time i have to fix a plastic water line in a house
            Looking at that pic of the pipe , mark is probably right chemicals and age is breaking it down

Comment

It sure looks like chemical related. Is that area soft when you put you finger nail against it?

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

PVC pipes become brittle with time and can be easily attacked by chemicals. Pipes also have a tendency to expand and contract due to the changes in outside temperatures. All these factors together are causing damage to the pipes.
                Leak Detection System

Comment

this type of bubbling in the cpvc can be caused by electrical short threw the pipe. In some of the cases I have seen there are many wires both 110 and 240 volt touching the piping, and usually the pipe starts to show these signs down the line. Have a four story apartment building that we have been repairing same thing over and over. looks very similar

Comment

Originally posted by jbnplumber View Post
                    this type of bubbling in the cpvc can be caused by electrical short threw the pipe. In some of the cases I have seen there are many wires both 110 and 240 volt touching the piping, and usually the pipe starts to show these signs down the line. Have a four story apartment building that we have been repairing same thing over and over. looks very similar

Short through the pipe? How can 120V lines (armored or Romex?) touching a plastic pipe cause electricity to flow? I would guess a chemical reaction is occurring.

Comment

It definitely looks chemical.....maybe from insulating materials contacting the exterior of the pipe?
                      Ideal Plumbing

Comment

can happen when the fully plastic system is not grounded. Typical issues are located close to higher power sources, when you touch the pipe at that time it feels like your statically charged. I am sure how but too obvious when the issue is the same in multiple spots, but then no product testing has been done. I used the product for approx 5 years ,didn't have problems myself except the brittle pipe issue.

Comment

Normally, pipes have life cycle except for the CPVC pipes, when used long time, it will be brust. so it need change.
                          black steel pipe

Comment

...ummm, i see.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                              It would help if you have pictures of the "burst" as it means something different to everyone. One of the main problems with CPVC is there are a lot of chemicals which will attack the CPVC. I have seen where a chemical has turned the CPVC into a soft material which expands and then burst like a balloon.

Mark
                              Mark, are you talking about something in the water or something airborne that attacks the pipe from the outside? I'm thinking there are a number of possibilities if you're talking airborne.
                              ---------------
                              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                              ---------------
                              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                              ---------
                              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                              ---------
                              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X