X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toilet question

When did they stop making toilets with four bolt holes? It seems to me that four would be better than two bolts holding it down. I took a four bolt hole toilet out, and can't find one with four bolt holes. I was hoping to line up the holes and not have to drill new ones. This isn't possible with a toilet with only two bolts.

Re: Toilet question

i would say in the early 60's.

even if they had a 4 bolt pattern, the chances of the 2 front holes in the same location are pretty much slim and none. the front location used a hanger bolt. pretty much half a machine thread 1/4''x 20tpi and the other half lag thread.

the only bolt pattern that is universal are the 2 that secure the toilet to the flange.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by DIYRepair View Post
      When did they stop making toilets with four bolt holes? It seems to me that four would be better than two bolts holding it down. I took a four bolt hole toilet out, and can't find one with four bolt holes. I was hoping to line up the holes and not have to drill new ones. This isn't possible with a toilet with only two bolts.
      I'm not sure if you know, but the United States landed on the moon as well. j/k

I couldn't resist!!

It's been at least 35 + years since they made those toilets. We still have plenty of them around here, that I've been ripping out on a daily basis.

Comment

Interesting as to how old that toilet really was that I took out. Another question. If the toilet didn't flush very well that probably isn't the toilet itself but the parts inside? Or, were some toilets designed to where they just didn't flush properly no matter what the inside parts were? I had changed the inside parts a few years ago and don't think it made much difference in the flushing of the toilet.

I'm just trying to figure out if it really was better to change the whole toilet out. Even though I know it's too late, because I've gotten rid of the old one. At least I'll know what to do if this happens again.

Comment

You can't go wrong choosing a new toilet if you follow this guide. California Urban Water Conservation Council

Comment

Originally posted by DIYRepair View Post
            ... If the toilet didn't flush very well that probably isn't the toilet itself but the parts inside?
            My parent's and girlfriend's parent's toilets were not working well. I diagnosed thathe rim holes werestricted by mineral buildup.
            With my trusty Boy Scout pocket knife blade and a mirror I removed the mineral buildup and the toilets flushed like new.
            Cathy said I was her.o!
            Next, she allowed me to reshingle her parent's roof!
            I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
            It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
            "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Diy repair I find this the best info on toilets. Terry sells over 2000 toilets a Year.
              He constantly installs different ones in His own home to evaluate them.
              Love Plumbing & Remodel of Bellevue & Bothell WA, Terry Love Go to toilet forum Good luck tool . PS He, unlike the Plumbing
              zone helps homeowners !
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
              X