Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any point in 1" supply if water heater is 3/4"?

I'm plumbing my own new house and would like to have plenty of water pressure. I plan to use 1" copper after it enters the house and then convert to 3/4" after the manifold to each zone. I'm going to use a Marathon water heater which has the common 3/4" adapters. My question: Is there any point in using the 1" pipe up to the manifold if the hot water has to go through the 3/4" fitting on the water heater anyway?

Re: Any point in 1" supply if water heater is 3/4"?

Having a 1" line feeding the water heater will give you a lot more volume and a little more pressure

Comment

Larger pipe will allow less friction loss but have much more cold water to flush out before the hot water arrives.
      I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
      It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
      "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Having a 1" supply to your house and to supply the heater will work just fine. I think you'll like that Marathon heater; it's my favorite electric. Residential heaters are all 3/4"; a heater with bigger connections is most likely commercial. Not sure how big your house is or your plumbing demand, but, even if you run the supply to your house in 1", you're most likely hooked up to a water meter with 3/4" connections AND is actually... are you ready? a 5/8" meter! As a plumber, it's easier to just run all my lines 1" and always gives the option of adding to your house and upgrading your meter. My home is hooked up on said meter with 1" piping. My pressure and volume are very adequate for my wife and I.

Comment

Working...
        X