Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
How to vent laundry, basement vanity & dishwasher properly w/existing system Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to vent laundry, basement vanity & dishwasher properly w/existing system

I live in Ontario Canada.

I am trying to figure out how to drain my dishwasher which is just above this system in the basement.

Existing system is all 1.5" in this diagram, which I think is not to code to start with (even if it was 2" I dont think I can drain the dishwasher there).

Yes, the old dishwasher was draining into the erstwhile vent, with just the hose stuffed into the top of the pipe and any airgap filled with, ahem, fibreglass insulation (previous owners, didnt find this til I took down the plaster basement ceiling to investigate). :/

The drain lines running into the floor - two of them, one is the vent, are both 1.5" - these run right into the concrete, so difficult to replace if not code.

EDIT: To be clear, none of the horizontal runs is very long. The sink in the image is actually positioned back towards the viewer, draining into the screen into the system with the vent line 4" away from the drain line (far enough apart?)

Advice? (get a plumber? ...)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mathx; 03-18-2012, 01:57 AM.

Wow! How did you know to look? No vent out the roof?

I'm not a plumber.
    Can you make the DW drain line into an exclusive vent for the basement and extend it up into the attic?
    Then install a new DW drain line tied into the vertical line just above the basement floor?
    Then extend the DW's own 1.5" vent up to the attic and tie into a 2" vent out the roof? The basement vent also ties into that 2" vent.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Re: How to vent laundry, basement sink & dishwasher properly w/existing system

Knew to look because I took out the old dishwasher, and followed its drain line. (Moving kitchen around, old line unusable.)

I can extend the vent to the attic/roof.

Are you suggesting what I've put in this new diagram? (I've added reference letters.)

I wonder if the dark blue is omittable under the new self/wet-venting code in Ontario (a 3/4" dishwasher drainline cannot wash the walls of a 1.5" drain) - could I attach the light blue directly to the V-D vent/drain pipe (at a point lower than C, but would that make K-KK too long?)

Also what is the max/min distances each of K-KK, A-AA, KK-A, AA-B?

Are AAVs allowed anywhere in here? (Im thinking no, because of possible high flow rates from either appliance?)
      Attached Files
      Last edited by mathx; 03-18-2012, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Does code require thathe trap for the dishwasher be on the same floor as the dishwasher?
        Our dishwasher trap is in the cabinet under the kitchen sink.
        (I prefer to have the dishwasher empty through the garbage disposer. When it empties I would turn on the disposer to clean it well.)

Doubthat code allows wet venting from one floor to another.

Comment

Also just realised - the 2nd 'drain' at D might be a (wet?) revent from the main stack? (not sure how that works, i dont see where it attaches, it's all in the concrete I think!) If the stack runs horizontal at any point there, it's not venting properly...

Comment

Connect to a Wye below G too much for 1.5" line?

Originally posted by mathx View Post
            Also just realised - the 2nd 'drain' at D might be a (wet?) revent from the main stack? (not sure how that works, i dont see where it attaches, it's all in the concrete I think!) If the stack runs horizontal at any point there, it's not venting properly...
            What choice do you have?
            Can you reach the drain for the sink and clotheswasher and make that a drain and continue D as a vent only?
            Would draining the dish washer below G be overloading the 1.5" line into which both the sink and clothes washer drain?
            Does the line become 3" under the concrete?
            Last edited by Robert Gift; 03-19-2012, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X