Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I remove a brass-colored PLASTIC boiler drain from 12 year-old water heater?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I remove a brass-colored PLASTIC boiler drain from 12 year-old water heater?

INSTANT HOT WATER:
    Trying to create a convective flow to keep hot water at the kitchen sink

In our pooly lit basement, all this time I thoughthathe water heater boiler drain was metal.

Can I remove it without destroying it or leaving debris inside the 3/4" threads of the water heater tank?

Instead of risking removing it, if I Tee into the 3/4" cold water inlet pipe, which descends to just above the bottom of the water heater tank, will convection still occur?
    Or will that hot dip tube heat the cold water enough so that not enough differential will occur to create a convective flow?

Thank you.
    Last edited by Robert Gift; 03-19-2012, 06:49 AM.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: Can I remove a brass-colored PLASTIC boiler drain from 12 year-old water heater?

What is the age of your water heater? I installed one recently that has plastic flap valves at the inlet and outlet nipples (to save energy by preventing convective losses).

So even if you plumbed such that convective flow could happen, it won't with certain heaters, would need a pump.

Comment

Re: Can I remove a brass-colored PLASTIC boiler drain from 12 year-old water heater?

the hose bibb will probably snap off at the threads. but it's a pretty simple task to remove the broken plastic shank from the fip metal boss.

a small hacksaw blade can be used to split the thread from inside the plastic in a longitude direction. do this in 2 cuts or 3 and then a small screwdriver or chisel can easily pry out the plastic. a wire brush like for copper fitting cleaning can clean out the remaining debris. and case a 3/4'' tap will clean up any threads you might nick or damage.

it's always best to return the water to the bottom of the tank. not a fan of returning it to the top inlet.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

12 years old and apparently does not have the convection preventing valves because the 3/4" inlet and outlet copper pipes are HOT. I placed insulation covers over them.
        Insulated all the hot water lines where they arexposed.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          the hose bibb will probably snap off at the threads. but it's a pretty simple task to remove the broken plastic shank from the fip metal boss.
          a small hacksaw blade can be used to split the thread from inside the plastic in a longitude direction.
          rick.
          Been there, done that - with natural gas black pipe and a couple ofloor drain metal cleanout plugs.

Comment

Just bought a Plastic Nipple Extractor. Hope that I will not need it.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Also returned the galvanized pipe fittings and found 3/4" brass fittings at Lowes.
            Home Depot does not have 3/4" brass.

Comment

Re: Just bought a Plastic Nipple Extractor. Hope that I will not need it.

Thank god Bradford white went to the ball valve...I was getting tired of unscrewing those plastic valves on the fly so I could put my own set-up on so I could drain the unit. This is where I absolutely HATE basements.

Comment

Re: Just bought a Plastic Nipple Extractor. Hope that I will not need it.

I have replaced a fair number of water heaters for friends and family. I always remove that plastic drain valve and install a brass nipple, full port ball valve and a pipe to hose adapter.

Comment

Carefully gothe plastic boiler drain out without breaking it!

Though I flush the silt twice a year, and just flushed it before removing the boiler drain and inserting a 3/4" nipple, there must be a LOT of silt in the tank which was scoured up when I refilled the tank.
                  Hot water is brown.

Comment

Re: Carefully gothe plastic boiler drain out without breaking it!

At 12 years old, don't you think it might be time for a new one? just sayin'

Comment

Originally posted by PhilC View Post
                      Have already been looking at water heaters. Too expensive. Have been $aving for one.
                      But I do flush sediment 2 to 3 times a year, so hopefully that helps. Plumbing inspector says not many in this housing development have been replaced.
                      Sand in the bucket into which I just did this last flush.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilC View Post
                        Exactly what I was thinking while reading this thread. Why even mess with a 12 year old WH?

Comment

Working...
                        X