X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shower drain

Just have a question about a dwv setup im workin on here. Old black sewermain line runs right under floor thru house, shower is 5' away from main. Question is how or can I come out from the shower with a Sure vent right after the trap, over the 5' , then up again 6" into the main swr line. I xant cut thru all the joists. Will this work?

Re: Shower drain

"xant" = "can't", right?

If I understand you, your 4" service is up tight to the bottom of the floor, maybe even inside the joists, and your proposed shower drain routing will travel below the joists and then come up about 6" to the 4" service from below.

If so, no, that is not going to work. The shower drain must run downhill from the trap to where it ties into the next line. If that is not possible, then you must raise the shower, tie in somewhere farther down where the line is lower, or drop the shower into a pump pit.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Your correction was correct, I apologize for the lack of detail on my post as I was in a hurry..The set up I have is just how you stated above, It's a old farm house and I am extremely limited on what I can change with this setup. The existing tub was ran this way ( the drop down then back up) for forty years + and seemed to work fine.(with no vent btw) All I am doing is putting a stand up shower inplace of the tub. I added the SureVent thinking it may help this situation.There are no places to tap into the main until the far end Twenty five ft. away and even then only a clean out built into the rock foundation. Even if I did a pit setup I have no place to tap it into the main..try to run a vent pipe through three levels of finished living space.. So I am asking if anyone can help me make this ridiculous predicament functional without rebuilding Rome. It's only 6"...worked before..gota work again...right? Is the SureVent going to help or is a free flow vent warranted. Any help & I would be grateful.

Comment

It may drain. Heck, the old one did, right? How high above the 4" is the shower pan? How far away? The vent will neither help nor hinder drainage. The only thing a vent is good for is preventing the drain from siphoning the trap dry. Running uphill the way I understand it to, it will drain so lazy that I can't think siphoning will be a problem. If you put it in like this it's so rigged and wrong why even bother with the vent?

You might post some pics; someone might see a way around the problem. I hate to see something rigged put in. If someone had done a decent job in the first place you would not have the problem now.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Well i did some work over here on this drain setup.i have it so the shower drains into the trap then continues nearly level (slightly down) then for 6 feet to the main. Total of 6' from shower to main. My question is should i putt a surevent In the line ? I have one so no big cost but do i even need it?

Comment

I had to google "surevent". I'm use to hearing the word "pro vent".

Anyways...

You should post some pictures of the situation.

Comment

If there is a toilet close or even a sink in the bathroom that already has a vent, then you may not need the Sure Vent. Every State, City, and code variation will be different. Vents and how to vent can be confusing. I have plumbed in three different states and everyone calls it something different. I don't like it when drains don't have proper slope, but sometimes without jacking the house up 6" you can't fix it. Talk to your local Plumbing inspector, and pull the proper permits to protect your self from any major issues. Sewer gas entering the home through a improper drain can be very dangerous.
              "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

The inspector would have me put a pit & a pump in, remove the entire main sewer line & re install a new setup to code..as i said, i dont want rebuild Rome here.,i just want to bounce this off sum of u guys to see if in your experience this 6' long 1.5" id pvc line that has at best a 2.5" slope in 6' needs a pro vent, sure vent whatever or not? This is a branch off the main line. The main is vented to the roof. No other options to tie into, this is it. A picture would show u a shower stub poking thru the floor goin in a trap as high as i can put it. Then 2 joists over (6') a black main with a open tee 2.5" lower then the exit of my trap. I no longer need to address the problem in my first post, draining down then up. I know piping guys, its what i do. But i do supply only. So this venting/ drain waste stuff im not up on. So, vent or no vent?

Comment

Ok...I see. Get a permit...Thanks for the same answer the kid at Home Depot provided. very helpful. A permit won't tell me if I need to put a vent in a Six foot trap arm..I am modifying a existing shower line, simply improving whats there...I don't need a permit to do this in WI. I am licensed to do tank installations/removals, underground piping and electrical work in two states in the petroleum industry. I think I can handle this one. All I wanted was a little job experience help from you guys on if you would or would not put a vent in this trap arm. And I'm sure each time one you plumbers change out a light fixture for you wife in the bathroom you also go & apply for all the proper permits too.

Comment

You were told it wouldn't hurt to leave it out since it hasn't been a problem in the past....

1. You can try apologizing. It's not easy trying to explain a trade over a computer to a homeowner.
                    2. Buy a plumbing code book. This will tell you where and how much you can cut/bore through a joist. Then you will see where you can tie into the plumbing without another vent. Or show you how you can run an individual vent up the wall beside the valve ( I am guessing you should have at least enough room to bore that hole).
                    3. Get a permit like the rest of us. This is a way for you to do it right and understand a little bit why we charge what we do. Permits protect others from homeowner/hack/handyman blunders.
                    4. REMEMBER PLUMBERS ARE HERE TO PROTECT THE HEALTH AND WELL-BEING OF SOCIETY.
                    5. You could try saying thank you to those who bothered to try telling you how to do it yourself or tell you how not to destroy your biggest investment, your house.
                    AllurePlumbing.com
                    • leak detection
                    • drain cleaning
                    • utility locating
                    • conductor fault locating
                    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Oh, and a shower drain is 2" pipe size. Also, be sure to realize that once you figure out how big a hole there are places in the joist you cannot touch at all.
                      AllurePlumbing.com
                      • leak detection
                      • drain cleaning
                      • utility locating
                      • conductor fault locating
                      • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Well alright, I am sorry if I came across as rude or unappreciative. It is just very frustrating when I try to get a answer to something and all you get is suggestions that aren't very helpful. Like with the permit and the inspector. I am not going to do either one of those, don't need to. I have WI and MI code books for electrical,building and plumbing in my service truck which I used as a guideline, but would rather use the knowledge of guys that know what works on everyday jobs. Code books can be very confusing..Early in the topic I said the line went down then back up, you said it won't work well, so I changed the way it is ran, went thru the joists. Have 3.5" of pitch in the 6' line now but just simply couldn't understand what to do the vent. Code says a trap arm can go up to 60" to the vent, with 2" pipe, for 1.5" pipe that goes down to 48"..I am 6' from the vented main stack using 1.5" pipe...I don't think it will hurt anything if I put the pro vent in. Thanks to all the guys that replied to my posts.& that's the bad part of plain text..the readers don't know when or if joking around or not.. Good Day.

Comment

Normally people provide pictures of the job when they come here, cause it's hard to picture plumbing design when everyone's house is different.

Comment

Hagfan
                            You're out of your league. Hire a professional.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                              Hagfan
                              You're out of your league. Hire a professional.
                              HAhahaha...That's the best post yet Plumbus... Your post should be a permanent sticky for every question on the Ridgid forum! Too funny.

Comment

Working...
                              X