Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Will hot water convective flow push 3/4" swing check valve flap open? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will hot water convective flow push 3/4" swing check valve flap open?

Or should I mount it at 30 degrees so thathe swing flap hangs partially open but reverse flow will catch it and close it?

RE: INSTANT HOT WATER at kitchen sink.
    Hoping that convective flow from the top of the water heater returning through 1/2" Pex line to the tank drain will be enough to pass through the swing check valve.

Thank you.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: Will hot water convective flow push 3/4" swing check valve flap open?

I need to check the forum more than once every couple of weeks!
    Putting the swing check on it's side can sometimes result in a "slamming" effect that can be heard throughout the house.
    Drill a 1/4" hole in the swinging portion of the check valve and you will be fine.
    Remember to put a ball valve at the bottom of the water heater tank along with a hose bib so that you can blow an air locked system out.

Comment

Re: Will hot water convective flow push 3/4" swing check valve flap open?

Originally posted by rookie plumber View Post
      ...Putting the swing check on it's side can sometimes result in a "slamming" effect that can be heard throughout the house.
      Drill a 1/4" hole in the swinging portion of the check valve and you will be fine.
      Remember to put a ball valve at the bottom of the water heater tank along with a hose bib so that you can blow an air locked system out.
      The hot pipe out the top of the water heater and return loop Pex line will both go to the kitchen faucet. So hopefully any shock will be divided between the two and not be too great.

Yes, I was wondering how to get air out. Now just one ball valve in the return loop into the Tee coming out of the water heater.
      RE: Drilling hole - I thought code would not allow me to alter any approved plumbing part.
      So my only alternative is hanging the flap slightly open.
      Last edited by Robert Gift; 03-25-2012, 09:41 PM.
      I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
      It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
      "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Working...
      X