X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clogged toilet and I am stuck

I am trying to unclog my upstairs toilet will little success. The toilet does flush but very slowly and will not handle solids. I have been using your 6' toilet auger and I am able to auger the full length without hitting any obstructions. But still no improvement with the flushing. There is plently of water to flush with but it just does not go down quickly and therefor won't handle solids. None of the other drains in the bathroom, sink and shower are having any problem. I am wondering if the vent going up thru the roof might have any thing to do with the problem. Would I be able to run a drain cable down the vent to clear any obstruction beyond where the stool line meets the stack? I am willing to try anything but am running out of ideas and knowledge. thanks,

Re: Clogged toilet and I am stuck

Pull the toilet and pour a bucket of water down the drain. That will show whether it is the drain or the toilet.

Comment

Originally posted by minnemike View Post
      ... The toilet does flush but very slowly and will not handle solids. I have been using your 6' toilet auger and I am able to auger the full length without hitting any obstructions. But still no improvement with the flushing. There is plently of water to flush with but it just does not go down quickly and therefor won't handle solids. None of the other drains in the bathroom, sink and shower are having any problem. I am wondering if the vent going up thru the roof might have any thing to do with the problem. Would I be able to run a drain cable down the vent to clear any obstruction beyond where the stool line meets the stack? I am willing to try anything but am running out of ideas and knowledge. thanks,
      I took an electric roto-rooter on the roof with snake down the soil pipe because there was too little room in the bathroom and I did not want to pull the toilet.
      Have you tried pouring a bucket of water down the bowl to see if there is an obstruction?
      Or are the bowl's rim holes narrowed with mineral buildup and the restriction causes the toilet to flush slowly and less effectively?
      At my volunteer fire station a child flushed a toy which became stuck in the toilet's outlet passage. I told our chief that a new toilet would have cost less than a plumber's bill for him to unclog the toilet.
      Last edited by Robert Gift; 03-22-2012, 03:10 PM.
      I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
      It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
      "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

When I press the flush bar, the bowl quickly fills with water, but is slow to flush it out. It does create a vortex and drains out but not at the rate it used to. I will try to add a bucket of water and see what happens. I have replaced other stools in the house in the past so I am ready to do this if warranted.
        hmmm?

Comment

I had a call where 1 Q-tip caused a similar problem. It took me at least 5 attempts with the auger before I pulled it out.

Something went down there that wasn't supposed to.

Comment

i've also had a q-tip call, but those will only cause an issue with a #2 and not with a #1,clear water. if you got a full 6' auger through the toilet, the first 3' is the toilet and the next 3' is the bend/ heel outlet typically.

was this issue all of a sudden or has it been progressively getting worse?

see how a 3 gallon bucket of water will flush when you stand over the toilet and pour fast. bad/ plugged jets will cause a weak flush, but a 3 gallon bucket doesn't really depend on jetting.

snaking from the roof is usually fine as long as the stoppage is past the heel outlet/ san tee. it won't help a clogged toilet. only a clogged line downstream from the tee.

i would guess you're better off pulling the toilet and that will either rule in or rule out the toilet, plus then give you a way to snake from inside if need be.

of course if you call a plumber that owns a ridgid micro drain, they can then run a camera through the toilet and see where the problem is

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Decided to pull the stool and check to see if the problem was in the pipe or stool as per rjniles suggestion. While I am at it, I will install a high efficiency dual flush stool. I am able to get $100 rebate from the city water folks by going to a high efficiency one. will post the results tomorrow.
              Thanks all for your interest and expertise.

Comment

While I agree with your decison to pull the toilet- I would not compound the problem by installing a new toilet until I was sure that I had fixed the problem. Otherwise, you are adding more variables to the problem.

Comment

one thing people often overlook is the level in the tank. if the ball cock fails (for whatever reason) and fails to reach the proper level (just below the overflow tube) you will get what acts like a clogged toilet....

Comment

Just poured 3 gal of water in the toilet and it flushes just fine. could believe it so I tried again and it works fine. Then I did a regular flush using the water from the toildet reserve and I still had the old problem of slow flush. Would this mean that the jets in the bowl are fouled with mineral deposits or something?

Comment

If the tank is full of water and the flapper stays open, then the flush jets are clogged.

Comment

Pulled the old stool and tested the drain pipe by pouring 3 gals of water down it. works perfectly. Now starting to install new stool. Cross fingers that I don't run into anything weird.

Comment

Originally posted by minnemike View Post
                          Just poured 3 gal of water in the toilet and it flushes just fine. could believe it so I tried again and it works fine. Then I did a regular flush using the water from the toildet reserve and I still had the old problem of slow flush. Would this mean that the jets in the bowl are fouled with mineral deposits or something?
                          Yes, just as I said above. I used a dull pocket knife to carefully open the rim holes and white vinegar to soften mineral buildup.
                          I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
                          It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
                          "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

a mirror, and a coat hanger/ welding rod will help ream out the jets. also look for an obstruction in the main jet at the bottom of the bowl. i've seen both buildup and toilet cleaning tablets get stuck in that port. without it the siphon is not going to happen very well.
                            remember that the new toilet you're installing is only a 1.6/ 1.28 gpf. could even be a .9 dual flusher
                            old sewer lines might not like a low flow toilet.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

We run across this a lot. I hate to be negative, but things just aren't built like they used to be. If your home is 15 years or newer, then you are probably going to want to replace that toilet. Every since the GREAT Conservation act of 1993, toilets have had problems. In my area, we have very hard water. If the toilet doesn't have a fully glazed trap way, it builds up deposits within 5 years, this throws off the siphon. I have tried a few chemicals and other ideas to remove the deposits, but nothing seemed to work. I have American Standard Champion 4 toilets in my house and they flush great. I have also installed American Standards updated Dual flush, and it flushes well. One of the Drawbacks to lower flushing toilets, in my and some of my customers opinions, is that you have to clean the bowl more frequently. One of my customers says that every time, #2 happens, she has to clean it. I just told her not to do #2 anymore. Hopefully in the near future we will be so water conservative that we will just be using out houses again, and you want have to worry about it. After all, history repeats itself.
                              "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

Working...
                              X