Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strangest thing found in a plugged toilet?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strangest thing found in a plugged toilet?

I was clearing the toilet becuase it did not flush correctly for the girlfriend and she needs the toilet often as she is 4 months along with twins so a properly working toilet is very important to her.

I took the basic toilet plunger and it worked the clog right out of the drain. Up floated a dead bird in the toilet bowl. It was strangest thing I ever found in a toilet lol. and your strangest item is?

is there away to prevent another floating bird to come down the stack?

Re: Strangest thing found in a plugged toilet?

i find it hard to believe that a bird would have managed to go down a vent 10'+ then turn and swim through a toilet trap and up into the bowl

i would make sure your bird cage is still closed and the cat didn't drag something in from outside

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

No cat, no bird cage, it was some sort of black bird. crackle?
      not sure of the birds usually found outdoors

Comment

we have no pet birds, no pets of any kind?
        any ideas how a bird ended up in a toilet? no open windows without screens on them ( been cold today and the last few days so no windows opened)
        toilet worked fine in the morning before i left for work
        it was not decomposed just water logged and dead , floated right up after using the plunger

so any ideas let me know

Comment

I have screen over my (laundry) vent to keep the hickory nuts out

Comment

Anybody else live in the house? My guess is someone found a dead bird and decided the easiest way to get rid of it was to flush. ????

Comment

Birds do not fly down a vent or fall down a vent and then make their way UP a drain line and then UP into the toilet. Sorry but it could not happen. Those of us who are professional plumbers know this to be true. I'm sure there is a better explanation.

Comment

The girl friend was the one who was most grossed out by it. Our son is only 16 months old and he is never in the bathroom alone. It is a straight line from the toilet to the roof via the sewer stack so I am guessing it fell in or something. The gf said it was a starling. Just not what I was expecting to find in the toilet bowl, was sort of expecting a toy or toilet paper clog not a bird. ( next ime if it happens I will post a picture of it before I remove the bird just as proof of it happening)

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                  Birds do not fly down a vent or fall down a vent and then make their way UP a drain line and then UP into the toilet. Sorry but it could not happen. Those of us who are professional plumbers know this to be true. I'm sure there is a better explanation.
                  I've made those kinds of statements before, later to be proved horribly wrong. If you say it's impossible, Murphy will prove you wrong.
                  We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

the girl friend would not tocuh a dead or living bird and our toddler would not know what to do with it. The stack for that washroom is a straight shot up the wall and out the roof and passes thru the second floor washroom. thought it was strange to find in the toilet.

Comment

I agree. It probably FELL down the vent pipe. If its large enough for the bird to fit through, it can happen. And I could see it happening, I've actually seen, seen with me own two eyes, not one, but TWO birds fly inside a pipe. Granted it was a dryer vent coming out a wall, it's technically a pipe. And I could imagine the bird hopping down the line trying to get out and the toilet 90 probably is right up to the flange, bird hopped up in the toilet thinking he was home free, made it up the trap and fell in the drink.

A cell phone would NEVER end up in a toilet either, but I've pulled one of them sneaky bastards out. That was the weirdest thing I've found. Unless you consider a entire diaper stuck inside a toilet weird.

Comment

Guess what! Within the last two years I had a clogged toilet at a commercial customer of mine at a health care administrator where there are a bunch of women who work there. I ran the auger half expecting to get back some female contraption with a little tail on it. Instead I got back a whole pile of sparrow feathers. (I use a drop head General auger with a nice hook on it.)

This toilet was on the 3rd and top floor of the building. I surmise what happened was the bird was sitting on the vent stack to stay warm and was overcome by sewer gas and fell down the vent, came to and somehow managed to get into the toilet trap. I'm guessing some light reflected down into the waste line through the toilet trap. The toilet seat is open front, less cover.

Although I personally believe my best catch out of a toilet was a single rather large spare rib which the auger snagged and brought back.
                        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

I've got two. 1) a cabbage patch doll(in the toilet itself) 2) a snake( past the toilet with its head stuck in the wax seal)

Comment

Wow, I don't know how I forgot this one. A set of false teeth...lost after a police Christmas party...after the dispatcher drank too much.
                            Mike

Comment

Oh and as for the bird thing Ive had birds damn near destroy boilers by getting in the flues by falling into the chimnies and blocking the flue gasses sooting up gas boilers.

Comment

Working...
                              X