X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving toilet tank forward for tiling

Guys - I've never done any work with toilets so I'm not sure if this is possible so I thought I would ask.

I'm planning to retile the showers in my bathroom and would like to extend the tile to cover more of the walls. In one place this would involve it going around the toilet tank. I was thinking the way to do this would be to remove the tank, tile and then replace the tank.

However due to the tile the tank will now be somewhat forward from before (probably about 1" forward). Can toilet tanks be moved without having to move and reposition the toilet?

Re: Moving toilet tank forward for tiling

No.

Comment

You could move it quite a bit if there is room to move the whole toilet forward. This also means moving the drain underneath it as well. Stay away from the offset closet flange.
      AllurePlumbing.com
      • leak detection
      • drain cleaning
      • utility locating
      • conductor fault locating
      • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Maybe.....what brand and model toilet do you have? Lets say you have a 12" rough toilet. The manufacturer may offer a 10" tank that fits on your bowl. Just a tank swap out would be way easier than moving the wasteline 2"

Comment

10 " tank is your only choice like plumberscrack said.

Comment

The toilet is marked "Mansfield". Cannot see any marking to indicate the model. I can post a photo. I don't understand the term "12" rough toilet". How do I figure if I have a 12" or 10" tank?

Comment

Measure from the bolts that hold it to the floor to the wall, that is your rough in. If a 10" tank is availble for that model it would be the way to go. Its much easier to move a toilet drain 2 feet than 2 inches.
              26+6=1

Comment

Inside the tank or lid there should be some numbers and letters stamped into the porcelain.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. Based on the measurement it is a 12" rough in. I looked inside the tank and lid - on the lid is stamped MPP 160 along with a manufacture date.

I agree it is going to be difficult to relocate the drain easily by 2". I will probably need to cut further back and install new pipe with a coupling. This will probbaly mean breaking the tile and replacing the tile. I do have some leftover tiles from when the house was built 15 years ago so I do have some exact match tiles but it is going to be a much bigger job than I had hoped if I have to do that.

Comment

I don't think anyone makes a 10" tank to fit a standard 12" bowl. They make 10" bowls to fit standard tanks. How much clearance is there between the back of the tank lid the the wall? If you've got more than an 1", standard mud and tile (which usually takes up 7/8") should allow for your present toilet to fit.

Comment

The numbers on the lid are worthless. It ids the lid not tank. You need the numbers from the tank. The bowl is the same for the 10" and 12". Its usually not an option. By the time a project like this happens the wife is usually sick of seeing the same stuff. By that time a tank swap is not an option. Especially if its not 1.6 gallon flush.
                      AllurePlumbing.com
                      • leak detection
                      • drain cleaning
                      • utility locating
                      • conductor fault locating
                      • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                        I don't think anyone makes a 10" tank to fit a standard 12" bowl. They make 10" bowls to fit standard tanks. How much clearance is there between the back of the tank lid the the wall? If you've got more than an 1", standard mud and tile (which usually takes up 7/8") should allow for your present toilet to fit.
                        Nope, some companies like Gerber are doing it the other way around now, one bowl takes 3 different rough tanks. Not familiar enough with mansfield to know.

Comment

That's another reason why I love Gerber.

Comment

I think your best option is just get a new 10" toilet and be done with it. You can then concentrate on the rest of the project.
                            26+6=1

Comment

I looked inside the tank and I also saw 160 printed in purple lettering. So I looked on the Mansfield website and found the tank model.

http://www.mansfieldplumbing.com/pdf/160.pdf

What I do need to figure out is what model the toilet bowl is. How can I figure that out? Once I do that I can contact Mansfield and ask if they do a 10" tank for that bowl.

It does seem like a 1.6 Gal flush based on the letting I saw inside the tank.

Comment

Working...
                              X