X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone used la-co slic-tite or hercules pro dope thread sealers

Does anyone who have used these two products have an opion pro or con on what they think may be the better of the two from past or present experiences using them on water or gas lines as far as their sealing qualities.

Re: Anyone used la-co slic-tite or hercules pro dope thread sealers

i've used slic tite for well over 15 years. it's white with teflon. it can be used on plastic.

the grey pro dope is the cheap hardware store stuff. can't use it for plastic connections.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

thanks Rick your opinion is much appreciated and respected.

Comment

I use Rectoseal Number 5 on all my gas or metal connections. Hercules Megalock on everything else.
        Will Rogers Plumbing
        Moore, Oklahoma
        (
        405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
        http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

My guys like #5, but I do use Hercules Megaloc when setting finish because it cleans up with a rag and doesn't leave a mess.

Comment

Ever since I've seen how #5 sags to puddle inside a joint I have not used it.

Key-tite for gas
            T+2 for potable & plastic

Comment

Here are the links to the manufacturer's product info pages for the 2 products that are the most similar (La-Co Slic Tite and Hercules Megaloc). The real difference between the 2 is that slictite uses teflon and megaloc uses kevlar.
              LA-CO: Product Detail - Slic-titeĀ® Paste with PTFE - Premium Thread Sealant
              Thread Sealants

I use La-Co slic-tite for most everything. Cleans up nice and easy. Like Rick said, definitely ok for plastic (most are not). The gas company guys around here use it too, and it is definitely approved for gas connections. I used to use Rectorseal Tru-Blu for gas, but it was messy as heck. I have also used Megaloc and liked it a lot too, but the metal can that it comes in got bent up and rusty. I like the plastic can that slic tite comes in.

Either can be used on just about any application for which a plumber would need pipe dope.

Pro-Dope is pretty crappy stuff IMO.

-Chris

Comment

The grey Hercules is great for running black iron natural gas lines. Wipes clean easily and jobs look nicer.
                it is not for propane. I also like to finish it off with black paint, on the pipes of course.
                AllurePlumbing.com
                • leak detection
                • drain cleaning
                • utility locating
                • conductor fault locating
                • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Every time I hear or see the word LA-CO....I cringe because of their flux. I think I would try their pipe dope though.

I'm weary of Hercules Megaloc, because when it first came out around here, we used it on a Boiler install, and just about every single threaded joint leaked on us.

It's all #5 for me except for plastics.

I forget who makes it, but who makes the grey pipe dope thats so soupy and gets all over the place. I can picture the can...but not the name?

Comment

The absolute best dope for pipes....gasoila. It just sucks when it gets on you.

For stainless I use to use hemp and a pipe dope for stainless pipe.
                    AllurePlumbing.com
                    • leak detection
                    • drain cleaning
                    • utility locating
                    • and other specialties.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                      Every time I hear or see the word LA-CO....I cringe because of their flux. I think I would try their pipe dope though.

I'm weary of Hercules Megaloc, because when it first came out around here, we used it on a Boiler install, and just about every single threaded joint leaked on us.

It's all #5 for me except for plastics.

I forget who makes it, but who makes the grey pipe dope thats so soupy and gets all over the place. I can picture the can...but not the name?
                      Might be the Hercules brand....lol
                      AllurePlumbing.com
                      • leak detection
                      • drain cleaning
                      • utility locating
                      • and other specialties.

Comment

Never use PTFE on cast fitting when working with a new helper. It seems to run too far in too easy. Cast usually cracks. Nothing like coming in to see the helper smiling as he did you a favor and notice all of the Base-Rays cracked.
                        AllurePlumbing.com
                        • leak detection
                        • drain cleaning
                        • utility locating
                        • and other specialties.

Comment

Originally posted by jocar View Post
                          Does anyone who have used these two products have an opion pro or con on what they think may be the better of the two from past or present experiences using them on water or gas lines as far as their sealing qualities.
                          Slic Tite works well but it's a mess to get off anything else. Pro Dope doesn't smell good, but cleans up. I didn't have surprise leaks with either.

I use teflon tape on most joints, and if I'm concerned I'll put Rectorseal 100 over the teflon. I would be OK with using Rectorseal 100 on pretty much everything. I like blue monster teflon although sometimes the large diameter rolls are tough to get around threads in tight places.
                          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Gasoila on all our petroleum fittings, whether galvanized, plastic, brass..black pipe, never had trouble. Holds up to gas, diesel, hydraulic fluid, antifreeze you name it, also for potable use.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                              Slic Tite works well but it's a mess to get off anything else. Pro Dope doesn't smell good, but cleans up. I didn't have surprise leaks with either.

I use teflon tape on most joints, and if I'm concerned I'll put Rectorseal 100 over the teflon. I would be OK with using Rectorseal 100 on pretty much everything. I like blue monster teflon although sometimes the large diameter rolls are tough to get around threads in tight places.
                              Really? It always wipes off clean and easy for me.

I also like the Blue Monster teflon tape. It is the only tape I buy. The pipe dope they make is pretty good stuff too. There is a blue regular dope that is the same consistency as megaloc and a white PTFE dope.

Rea

Comment

Working...
                              X