No announcement yet.

Some powdered soap residue remains in dispenser. New GE SS interior dishwasher

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some powdered soap residue remains in dispenser. New GE SS interior dishwasher

Are the cold stainless steel interior walls cooling the hot water too much?
    The sound insulation blanket covers the unit. Would that not help the steel surfaces retain heat?

Sink faucet water is 123°F. (Recommended 120°F to 150°F.)
    Instructions: Cascade Complete ActionPacs are recommended.
    Powder is also acceptable. We are using Cascade.

No problem with our old GE plastic interior dishwasher with same Cascade detergent.

We turned on the Additional Heat but the residue still remains in the dispenser.

Soap door fully flips open. No dishes in the way.
    Why is all the soap not washing out?

Model: GDWF100V400BB

Ideas?
    Thank you.
    Last edited by Robert Gift; 04-17-2012, 06:20 AM.
    I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
    It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
    "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Re: Some powdered soap residue remains in dispenser. New GE SS-interior dishwasher

Packing material or other debris blocking holes in wash arm or limiting flow from pump. Is water height set properly to allow full pressure

Comment

Re: Some powdered soap residue remains in dispenser. New GE SS-interior dishwasher

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
      Packing material or other debris blocking holes in wash arm or limiting flow from pump. Is water height set properly to allow full pressure
      Thank you.
      Already checked for anything obstructing pump intake and arm holes are open and look well-formed.

GE service technician measured 100°F. water temperature inside the tub. But that was first fill and the stainless steel walls were cold.
      He says to turn up the water heater. But that will increase our natural gas costs.

GE is mailing a temperature measuring item (dip stick?) so I willearn what the wash temperature is mid cycle with additional heat turned on.
      Whether dissolved or not, why is the soap is not washed out of the dispenser? No dishes are blocking the dispenser.
      Thank you.

Comment

My first suggestion would be to use less detergent... the manufacturers will tell you that most people use too much in WM and DW. Possibly also change brands. And thirdly, check the hot water temp. If you have a heated wash cycle, that will help. Otherwise, make sure you run the tap just before starting the machine, to make sure you are starting the fill with HOT already available.

Comment

Originally posted by lovetheUSA View Post
          My first suggestion would be to use less detergent... the manufacturers will tell you that most people use too much in WM and DW. Possibly also change brands. And thirdly, check the hot water temp. If you have a heated wash cycle, that will help. Otherwise, make sure you run the tap just before starting the machine, to make sure you are starting the fill with HOT already available.
          Thank you.
          We get 123°F water athe faucet before starting the dishwasher.
          But the cold metal interior pulls the heat out of the water during the firstage of cleaning.

Will try less detergent. We filled the dispenser full as directed and use approved Cascade powder.

Either way, the soupy powder should have washed out.

Think I'll dissolve the powder in a jar of water and pour the mud into the dispenser cup as with liguid dishwasher soap.

Still waiting for an answer from my message sent through GE's website and still waiting for their "thermometer" to arrive.

Comment

I have a SS dishwasher as well and my water temp is 120 or less in the washer thanks to Ontario's anti-scald valve plumbing code.
            We have no issues with the soap dissolving. If you think it is temperature related your machine should have a cycle where it will heat the water, try that and see what happens.
            I think either your pump not producing enough flow or there is a restriction somewhere in the system.
            Are the dishes cleaned properly or do you find that you need to preclean them before they go into the washer?

Comment

No e-mail reply fom GE. No water temperature testereceived.

We turn on the Added Heat feature, buthe GE Technician said thatheating element does not heat the water enough if it is too cool. (123°F faucetemperature)
              Dishes are clean (I preclean as I load) but after everything is finished, I do not like finding a few tiny spheres of undissolvedetergent in the dishwasher. They crush into a fine white powder when touched.
              There should benough force to wash everything out of the dispenser, even if not dissolved.
              GE Technician said the force is good, but did not measure it - if there is even a way to measure.
              Nothing clogged or covered in the intake in the base to the back of the main sprayer.
              Last edited by Robert Gift; 04-21-2012, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Re: No e-mail reply fom GE. No water temperature testereceived.

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
                , But the GE Technician said that the heating element does not heat the water enough if it is too cool. (123°F faucetemperature)
                True but 123 is plenty. Anything over 120 is fine. If the water is too cool the washer will post a fault usually after 3 cycles of not achieving proper temp.
                Mine (kitchenaid) blinks the clean LED 7 times and will not allow a restart until you go in and out of diagnostic mode (press keys within 6 sec - heat dry - normal - heat dry - normal)
                My neighbours Maytag did this a bunch of times - there issue was setting the DW to run just after they all had showers in the AM and left for work (no hot water left in tank)
                Pull the kick panel off the front of your washer, you should see a folded paper in a plastic sleeve. This is the 'for service tech only page' and will show you the cycles, specs, cycle temps and times, trouble shooting etc.
                Lots of good info

Comment

Check to see if heat is the answer by raising the water heater temperature for a couple days. Do you have hard water? I've noticed that detergent without phosphates is harder to dissolve.

Comment

Originally posted by JoePolvino View Post
                    Check to see if heat is the answer by raising the water heater temperature for a couple days. Do you have hard water? I've noticed that detergent without phosphates is harder to dissolve.
                    Yes, our water is hard. But no problem withe previous plastic-walled GE dishwasher.
                    Water is 123°F. - GE's instructions advise 120°F to 150°F.
                    The other issue is why is the soap not being washed out of the dispenser. It did wash out of the previous washer's dispenser unless a tray was blocking it.
                    Last edited by Robert Gift; 04-25-2012, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Are you using a rinse agent?

Comment

Originally posted by JK949 View Post
                        Are you using a rinse agent?
                        Yes, - the little bottle that came withe dishwasher.
                        It dispenses a small amount near thend of every wash. Probably out by now.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Gift View Post
                          Yes, our water is hard. But no problem withe previous plastic-walled GE dishwasher.
                          Water is 123°F. - GE's instructions advise 120°F to 150°F.
                          The other issue is why is the soap not being washed out of the dispenser. It did wash out of the previous washer's dispenser unless a tray was blocking it.
                          I'm leaning more toward the metal insides cooling the water so the powder doesn't dissolve as well, and possibly less agitation than your old model. I noticed that my new dishwasher doesn't seem to shoot water around with as much force as the one it replaced, most like to keep the noise down, but also to reduce power usage. If this is the case, then maybe there isn't enough water force to circulate and adequately dissolve all the powder.

Just for grins, I'd try cranking up the water heater temperature to 130 for a couple runs and see what happens. I'm not sure there are too many other variables you can play with in this case, short of using less powder as someone else already suggested.

Comment

No water temperature testereceived.

In a small glass jar I added water to Cascade powder to make "liquid" dishwater detergent. So far, not dissolving very well.
                            Yes, I suspected the visibly smaller motor is to cause less noise but I can'tell abouthe water force againsthe dishes.
                            Has pre-wash and its rinse phase heated the metal interior?
                            Still waiting for GE's temperature checker so that I can learn the water temperature during the soap-dispensed wash phase.

Comment

Some white detergent wet "mud" remains in GE's manual soap dispenser. No excuse.

Regardless of water temperature, that "mud" should have washed out.
                              Nothing is blocking the dispenser. The door is unobstructed and fully opens.
                              Am considering returning this POS GE dishwasher.
                              Model: GDWF100V400BBH

Comment

Working...
                              X