X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• furnace problem

...sis just called and said her furnace is blowing cold air. i asked her if she was sure it was in the heat
    mode and she said yes. i then asked her if she had the setting up and again affirmative on the reply.

what do you guys think might cause such a problem? thanks in advance for any help.

Re: furnace problem

is it a heat pump or gas? you might get a better response in the HVAC forum...

Comment

...gas.

Comment

too hard to tell without knowing things like does it light and go out?...does the blower run (clear the chamber before ignition), does it not do anything when you call for heat? (low voltage (power to/from thermostat) crapped out or the main board is toast). Could be a limit switch gone bad and can't sense the temp across the heat exchanger...etc, etc like I said... what it does do is just as important as what it doesn't....

Comment

Is it in fact a gas furnace or gas boiler...

Watch it and write down what happens as it happens. I would make sure she has paid the gas bill. It really could be anything. The more you tell us the easier it is to point you in a direction. Keep in mind that without the proper test equipment you may just be pissing in the wind.
          AllurePlumbing.com
          • leak detection
          • drain cleaning
          • utility locating
          • conductor fault locating
          • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
            Is it in fact a gas furnace or gas boiler...

Watch it and write down what happens as it happens. I would make sure she has paid the gas bill. It really could be anything. The more you tell us the easier it is to point you in a direction. Keep in mind that without the proper test equipment you may just be pissing in the wind.
            ...gas is paid. everything over the phone at this point. i asked her what i could think of. it is a gas furnace. she said when she turns up the stat it seems to hum. i will go over her place tomorrow and see if i can do anything. i'll probably end up calling the man.

Comment

Gas furnaces have 2 blowers. One is for purging and expelling combustion gases and the other is for circulating air over the heat exchanger for her heat. Here is the big kick in the pants, most HVAC supplies will not sell to a homeowner. Good luck. Let us know.
              AllurePlumbing.com
              • leak detection
              • drain cleaning
              • utility locating
              • conductor fault locating
              • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

How does the blower turn on if not turned on by theatexchanger heat-sensing switch?

Could the wall thermostat's "Fan On" switch be ON or faulty?

Could the blower be stuck On even though the furnace is not burning producing heat?
                I would sethe.rmostat up HIGH to see if the burner will come on and furnace start blowing hot air.
                Last edited by Robert Gift; 04-25-2012, 06:45 AM.
                I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
                It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
                "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

Re: How does the blower turn on if not turned on by theatexchanger heat-sensing switc

If she lives in an area where the nor-easter snowstorm hit the vent may be blocked.
                  If it is a Lenox high efficiency around 6 years old they have an issue with the purge blower. The plastic fan walks on the metal motor shaft until it bottoms and stalls the motor. Can be fixed by pulling the fan off the shaft and adding a sealer like green loktite or JB weld etc.

Comment

Working...
                  X