X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to put a valve to make a rain barrel

I am thinking to buy some 55 gallon plastic barrels (photo attached) and make rain barrels for my garden. I know I need to drill a hole near the bottom and put the valve in but how can I make it tight enough and strong enough? Glue? or ???
    Attached Files

Re: how to put a valve to make a rain barrel

the simplest is to turn the drum up side down and make a new hole to fill it, and then are bulk head fittings but for most of them you need to get in side the drum to tighten the nut up or to put the fitting in,

and then there is another type of bulk head fitting and it works on stationary, do not know how much movement it would take, there are called "uniseal",

both types are show on this page, Bulkhead fittings and pipe seal grommets are used to add a fitting through the wall of a plastic tank.

this is the company I bought my uniseals from and had good luck manifolding drums together for water Search results for: 'uniseal'

this is a New zeland site but shows more on the uniseals, and there sizes, UNISEALĀ® Simply The World's Best Seal
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BHD; 04-25-2012, 11:30 PM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Wrap the barrel end of the spigot three times around with Teflon tape and then screw in the spigot squarely. It should go by hand.Take the rubber washer and glue the surface of one side with a stong glue and reach into the barrel and work it over the threads. Flush with the barrel.Screw on the locknut and finish tightening by turning the spigot while holding the locknut with a wrench or needle nose pliers.
      How to find the Best Australia Plumbing Services?

Comment

While we're on the subject, is there a way to keep the water from getting nasty? My roof gets a lot of bird crap and who-knows-what drifting thru the air landing on it. Planning for a garden, I'd much rather use rain barrels.

Comment

something like this instead of 55gal drums? Plastic Water Storage Tanks Product Variety

since it isn't for human consumption i'd not worry about the bird stuff. we store water here in cisterns. mine is 44,000 gals. since we use it for the entire household there are 2 sediment filters, 1 charcoal filter, followed by a UV filter. i know of folks that have cisterns that are beyond reclaiming and they use the "water buffalo" systems with great results
          In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Working...
          X