Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

oops i fogot to install the plaster ground. Help.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oops i fogot to install the plaster ground. Help.

When installing my moen shower, faucet etc i forgot to install the plaster ground in or behind the wall. I am able to install and fully attach the 2 screws through the face plate and that is tight and firm. My opening is only 2 inches so i would have a really hard time cutting through tile and hardi backer to install the plaster ground. Verything is attached and working fine so do i need to go the trouble of getting the Plaster ground installed. Thanks.

Re: oops i fogot to install the plaster ground. Help.

Hey Rick where is your Australian to Americian dictionary what is a plaster ground???

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
      Hey Rick where is your Australian to Americian dictionary what is a plaster ground???

Tony
      When homes were plastered these were on the edges of doors and windows for the plasterer to float the plaster off of. Moen is misusing this specific word. And it was proven by this thread. Nice to be an old fart some Tue. Morns. Good Day!
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

If you can get the guts out leave it.
        AllurePlumbing.com
        • leak detection
        • drain cleaning
        • utility locating
        • conductor fault locating
        • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

basically it's the plastic trim used as a spacer for the tileman to float his cement to. it does a few things.

it protects the valve from getting full of cement. it acts as a minimum / maximum distance the valve can be installed in the wall and still allow the trim to work without an extension or shallow trim kit. and it also allows the tileman to float to it and provides the clearance for the access later on, but still allows the trim to cover the hole with the finish trim.

on some valves it also tucks in behind a fiberglass shower surround and adds support and rigidity to the cut out.

tony it would be easier to just show you in person

if you have the valve ruffed in the proper depth and you make sure there is proper access for service and not too much access to make the trim not cover, then i wouldn't be too worried. now if this was done on new construction with multiple units and tradespeople, i would be very concerned about them missing. on a simple single family home with the ability to check the tile float, i wouldn't be too concerned for mistakes. just make sure the trim covers, the valve is accessible and the depth is correct for the finished tile and trim.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

plaster ground=plaster guard???????????????????

Comment

Re: oops i fogot to install the plaster ground. Help. Thanks Rick.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Rick. Really appreciated. Your advise is what i wanted to hear. Have a great day.

Comment

The plaster guard does indeed serve a use. There is a gasket on the back of the circular chrome trim which needs to butt up against something firm
                to create a good seal. Without the firm fit, the gasket will sort of work, but at some point in the future (22 years for one of my Moen valves),
                the gasket comes loose from the trim, and water leaks behind the valve (down to the ceiling in the room below, in my case!).

I jerry-rigged a plaster guard substitute out of a circular piece of stiff plastic; am installing this afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                  When homes were plastered these were on the edges of doors and windows for the plasterer to float the plaster off of. Moen is misusing this specific word. And it was proven by this thread. Nice to be an old fart some Tue. Morns. Good Day!
                  Gee Tool, it is fun to disagree with you on a Wed. afternoon...Moen is using a correct term. Before the days of backer board, hardi board or whatever, the tile setters used to line the shower with wire lath and "plaster" the walls with a cement based plaster and then set their tile to it. Hence Moens terminology fits.

Comment

two Moen shower "plaster grounds".

and some more pictures of it in use
                    Attached Files
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                    X