X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frost Free Faucet

My old hose bib started leaking a couple of weeks ago so I decided to replace it with a frost free hose bib with a vacuum breaker. The hole drilled through the rim joist was just big enough for the 1/2" copper pipe to fit through. I hogged out the hole with a sawzall for the larger diameter frost free to fit through. I couldn't use a spade bit or a hole saw since there was no center and I didn't want to screw a piece of plywood through the vinyl siding to provide one. I suppose I could have used a big self feeding auger bit but the sawzall was handy. How do you plumbers handle it? Thanks!

Re: Frost Free Faucet

You couldn't just wallered it out with a bigger spade bit?
    Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
    You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

yezzer, I suppose I could have, but I was worried the bit would walk and mess up the siding. I took a thin sawzall blade and just rotated it in the existing hole "wallering" it out as you suggested.

Comment

Yesterday I had to install a new lineset, and I used tin snips to trim the siding, cause I needed a larger hole, and didn't want to mess up the siding.

Comment

Good idea! Someone should make a drill chucked rotary rasp so you could hog out a bigger hole.

Comment

How's your new house coming along, Flux?

Comment

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
              How's your new house coming along, Flux?
              It's weird being a home owner, but blessed to have the opportunity to buy something brand new.

I screwed myself on the electrical part though...I wasn't thinking when it came time to pick out those extra's.

But right now, I'm battling with what under cabinet lights to go with. I'm getting a different electrician to install those when I pick them out, cause I don't trust our family electrician.

Thanks for asking though.

Comment

Hey, that's what this forum is all about. I do a whole bunch of of high end homes and would have been happy to offer any advice to get you where you wanted to go.

Comment

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
                  yezzer, I suppose I could have, but I was worried the bit would walk and mess up the siding. I took a thin sawzall blade and just rotated it in the existing hole "wallering" it out as you suggested.

With the siding I take a large unibit and just drill enough of the siding out then hit the wood with the right size paddle bit....but glad you got it going ......
                  Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                  You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

I hope you pitched the back end of the faucet up so the left over water drains. If not it will spit this winter. If this is your first frost proof, remember not to leave the hose on. It will keep the water in the pipe and it will freeze. Relieving the pressure at the end of the hose will not help either.
                    AllurePlumbing.com
                    • leak detection
                    • drain cleaning
                    • utility locating
                    • conductor fault locating
                    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Next time pick the appropriate size hole saw, drill a hole in the center of a 4"x4" piece of plywood.
                      Now with 2 screws fasten it over undersized hole,cantered again. Hole saw will be guided by Ply
                      to make a perfect centered hole. You owe Me a root beer float.
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

With Haagen Dazz ice cream....

Comment

[QUOTE=killavolt;375740]With Haagen Dazz ice cream....[/QUOTE YIPPI KI AHH
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                          X