Water Softener Installation Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Softener Installation Question

The sales guy for the softener company suggests draining the back flow from the softener into same spot as the washing machine. My concerns with this are that the brine will then be pumped out of the house by the sewage pump in the basement. Even if the brine backwash does not eat the pump it will work it more than necessary. Guy says no other option. Can I suggest installing it like a dishwasher? Can a trap and dishwasher style connector (3/4") be added in anywhere that does not drain into the pit? Here is a picture of the basement plumbing. If more info is required let me know.
    Attached Files

Re: Water Softener Installation Question

I don't know the codes in Canada however they require and air gap according to the installation instructions. You don't want the discharge line to create a cross contamination between the sewer and the potable water. You can check into having the discharge run to a french drain type of set up or go directly outside to the ground. The water discharges under pressure so it can go up 8 feet to get to ground level if you want to do that.

Comment

I see it dumping a sewage pump pit a lot here......I can't say that I have seen pumps replaced more often due to that factor....for whatever its worth....
      Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
      You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

The sodium in the rinse water isn't that brackish. I wouldn't worry about it eating a pump.
        Frequently asked questions about pumps and tanks.

Comment

Working...
        X