Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
What's your favorite sealer for lav pop-ups with Corian, granite or Silestone? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your favorite sealer for lav pop-ups with Corian, granite or Silestone?

What do you prefer to use when installing sink strainers and pop-ups in Corian, granite, or Silestone sinks? Do you stick with the old standby plumbers putty, or use something else?
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: What's your favorite sealer for lav pop-ups with Corian, granite or Silestone?

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
    What do you prefer to use when installing sink strainers and pop-ups in Corian, granite, or Silestone sinks? Do you stick with the old standby plumbers putty, or use something else?
    Do not use plumber's putty on porous materials!

On synthetics, check with manufactures.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Re: What's your favorite sealer for lav pop-ups with Corian, granite or Silestone?

Silicone to seal and denatured alcohol for cleanup.
      AllurePlumbing.com
      • leak detection
      • drain cleaning
      • utility locating
      • conductor fault locating
      • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

bob, you have to be careful with putty and natural stone. it will permanently stain it. there is a new putty that is designed for stone. it's about 4x more money.

also the foam seal that some pop ups come with are pretty good. it's a soft foam that seals good on sinks that are not very round and flat.

careful with silicon as too much can plug the overflow slots.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Been using Hercules Sta-Put Ultra for about a year, now.
          Oil free, won't stain, and can be used on granite, marble,
          soapstone, cement, and all natural materials. Won't rot
          or crumble. My cost, wholesale: $4.04 plus tax for 14 oz. tub.

Comment

I thought the old putty was bad for these applications but not having worked with
            silestone as its fairly new and I haven't put any new lavs or sinks in for a few years.
            I have never used the oil free type that I can remember, but I can't remember much
            anyway these days so who knows.

I had heard to use silicone but it sounds like this would be hell if you ever had to
            replace the pop-up so I would rather not use silicone.

I never had much faith in those foam seals that came with pop-ups years back.
            They were a guaranteed return trip to fix a leak. We just trashed them and used putty.

The new faucets (Grohe Arden 20-121) have an o-ring seal for the escutcheon.
            I like that, no worries there, nice and neat and a good seal.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            ---------
            ---------

Comment

What happens when that black o-ring starts to bleed out? If you are that worried about the silicone, get the oilless putty. I have never heard any body complain about them.
              AllurePlumbing.com
              • leak detection
              • drain cleaning
              • utility locating
              • and other specialties.

Comment

100% silicone for the win
                http://hoffmanplumbing.net/
                Hoffmann Family Plumbing
                805-748-4324

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
                  What happens when that black o-ring starts to bleed out? If you are that worried about the silicone, get the oilless putty. I have never heard any body complain about them.
                  The O-rings are to the countertop for the spout and the escutcheons, so they only see the water that splashes on to the countertop or when cleaning. Yes, they will deteriorate over time I guess, don't know what material they are made of.
                  ---------------
                  ---------------
                  ---------
                  ---------

Comment

Clear Silicone. I prefer GE Silicone II. It's very low vapor and tools nicely. The tip has a cap so you can reseal it.

I don't carry putty anymore.

Getting drains out after a year or so can be difficult. The stuff really works well.
                    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                      The O-rings are to the countertop for the spout and the escutcheons, so they only see the water that splashes on to the countertop or when cleaning. Yes, they will deteriorate over time I guess, don't know what material they are made of.
                      They will be fine....I was thinking your o-ring that you were refering to was a part of the pop up....disregard.
                      AllurePlumbing.com
                      • leak detection
                      • drain cleaning
                      • utility locating
                      • and other specialties.

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
                        They will be fine....I was thinking your o-ring that you were refering to was a part of the pop up....disregard.

Yeah, you're right. There is an o-ring in the pop-up. Will have to keep
                        an eye on that I guess. But its easily accessible so not much trouble.
                        ---------------
                        ---------------
                        ---------
                        ---------

Comment

Working...
                        X