X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Flue for water heater question

These are the situations where lives are in danger...he had the forethought to at least take safety precautions. You weren't going to die due to not knowing how to cut a piece of copper, Mr. Engineer that was border line simple minded for an engineer. Even a fellow engineer took a poke at you about that. Heck, even your idol made it a point to mention it.
    AllurePlumbing.com
    • leak detection
    • drain cleaning
    • utility locating
    • conductor fault locating
    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
      These are the situations where lives are in danger...he had the forethought to at least take safety precautions. You weren't going to die due to not knowing how to cut a piece of copper, Mr. Engineer that was border line simple minded for an engineer. Even a fellow engineer took a poke at you about that. Heck, even your idol made it a point to mention it.
      No actually I've found that as an engineer especially as someone working in R&D developing new state of the art electronics and integrated circuits that even getting clarifications on simple stuff is a good idea - nothing simple minded about that at all. I never assume I know more than other people and it is always a good idea to ask questions. Those who don't and assume they know more than others quite often know less than they think.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
        No actually I've found that as an engineer especially as someone working in R&D developing new state of the art electronics and integrated circuits that even getting clarifications on simple stuff is a good idea - nothing simple minded about that at all. I never assume I know more than other people and it is always a good idea to ask questions. Those who don't and assume they know more than others quite often know less than they think.
        Fair enough....but not by much, for you anyways.
        AllurePlumbing.com
        • leak detection
        • drain cleaning
        • utility locating
        • and other specialties.

Comment

Fair enough....but not by much, for you anyways.
          You do not know me or my background, past projects, working life etc any more than I do you so how did you come up how much I know vs anyone else. What is your line of logic and reasoning. Please share.

Comment

I have never met a dumb engineer. Aggravating, yes. Over compensating, yes....not dumb.

Do I need to apologize for giving you too much credit? This, btw, does not insinuate others are the opposite for being who they are or asking questions. I think most are willing to help out.
            AllurePlumbing.com
            • leak detection
            • drain cleaning
            • utility locating
            • and other specialties.

Comment

I have never met a dumb engineer. Aggravating, yes. Over compensating, yes....not dumb.

Do I need to apologize for giving you too much credit? This, btw, does not insinuate others are the opposite for being who they are or asking questions. I think most are willing to help out.
              Unless you have had a chance to survey all engineers on the planet your statement has no basis. What credit you give people or not is irrelevant - when people come on and ask questions they are more interested in the answers rather than what people think of them. Now on the other hand I think you are new on here so I guess you are trying to impress everyone with your posts Seen that a few times on here and other forums.

Comment

Unless you have had a chance to survey all engineers on the planet your statement has no basis. What credit you give people or not is irrelevant - when people come on and ask questions they are more interested in the answers rather than what people think of them. Now on the other hand I think you are new on here so I guess you are trying to impress everyone with your posts Seen that a few times on here and other forums.
                I am here to impress nobody. I am here to pick up things same as everyone here. If you think my posts are to impress, I suppose I am doing a good job. I, like most, don't care who gets the job...homeowner or plumber.

I suppose I do not know a lot of engineers. I will however stick to my original assumptions, present company still included, that engineers are not dumb. Now if you want to keep trying to prove your point that I don't know you and you are in fact dumb, go on ahead. I will not engage in name calling.

It is funny how you overlooked all of the positive posts of others helping a person with their job.
                AllurePlumbing.com
                • leak detection
                • drain cleaning
                • utility locating
                • and other specialties.

Comment

I am here to impress nobody. I am here to pick up things same as everyone here. If you think my posts are to impress, I suppose I am doing a good job. I, like most, don't care who gets the job...homeowner or plumber.

I suppose I do not know a lot of engineers. I will however stick to my original assumptions, present company still included, that engineers are not dumb. Now if you want to keep trying to prove your point that I don't know you and you are in fact dumb, go on ahead. I will not engage in name calling.

It is funny how you overlooked all of the positive posts of others helping a person with their job.
                  I said "trying to impress" - which is not the same as actually impressing So how are my posts proving that I am dumb?

Comment

I don't know a lot of engineers either. My father in law (RIP) was one. He was also the best trouble shooter I've ever met. I think his abilities came naturally, though his engineering training was undoubtedly helpful.
                    I do, however, handle a lot of products that were designed by engineers. I'm often frustrated by those manufactured goods that seem to have no consideration for the the installer (or repair person). One of my biggest frustrations is spending 10-15 minutes reading the installation manual and being no more educated that before I started.

"I had to remove the engine to change the spark plugs".

Comment

I can't speak for Gettinit, but I think he was responding to the crack about plumbers being disingenuous about being concerned for a homeowner's safety regarding CO poisoning. As a licensed plumber, with a backlog of work, I wasn't thrilled either.
                      Plumbus, are you referring to things line the Ultra boiler, 1st gen., with the wiring terminal strip behind the 3" intake and exhaust connections?

Comment

Years ago did water heaters have 2-inch vents?

Go ahead and make a 3-inch hole into the chimney and have 3-inch pipe all the way into the chimney flue. Ensure thathe bottom of the chimney is clear below the appliance fluentrances. I have found chimneys full of mortar sand sloughed off over the years.

Remove that downdraft diverter because you already have one athe water heater flue outlet.
                        Also the more room air that diverter admits into the flue gasses, the less hot and bouyant the combustion gasses become, resulting in a weaker draft.

Install a carbon monoxide alarm in the basement and another in the house.

Oh, I'd also put foam insulating tubes on all the hot water pipes.
                        Last edited by Robert Gift; 05-19-2012, 10:55 PM.
                        I'd take an educated guess - but I'm unqualified.
                        It ain't just soot, it's paydirt.
                        "I swear, wherever Gift goes, argument follows." -Youtube comment

Comment

I feel bad about derailing the OPs thread but I could not resist

I do get it. Must be nice to be able to throw out the "we a concerned for your safety" or "you will save money by hiring a pro" when all it means is "please hire a plumber so that we will have jobs/work". At least be honest about it. Posts like this assume people are simple minded.

So who is going to thank me for my post then.
                          Thanks BLUE_CAN. I dont want this to turn into a ****-fight but over here we actually care for our CHILDREN and FAMILIES. Stick your rant about creating jobs for plumbers where it belongs. It is one thing to get wet doing water but CO is the silent killer. come over here you spineless twit and look into the eyes of the parents of those two little boys and tell them it doesnt matter. Yes there are some who get a second chance, the mother of these boys did. However she has been dealt a life sentence. Yes we can only speculate about the actual cause of these deaths and god knows there are many true professionals who have investigated as best they can as the CORONER is involved and we all agree, what cost is life. You are trained in engineering, at least we are led to believe this. Your pathetic attempt is beyond reproach. I bet your mother would be proud of you. Ask her whether you can gamble with her life by doing a job like this. And yes I held back on commenting about the photos as I dont want to encourage those untrained in this area. There are many faults which even you, the "ENGINEER" hasnt picked up on.
                          Down here we contend with this attitude as well but the true professional knows his boundaries and speaks within. You dont know me, you dont know my knowlege base and you certainly dont appreciate the passion some of us have for this industry. This forum is good for helping out but there is a line that MUST be drawn. I dare you to look int the eyes of your children and come back with a DOLLAR VALUE you put on their lives. All true professional PLUMBER GASFITTERS would agree with everything I have said. I am not malicious, I am not being contoversial, I am just expressing concern for actual LIFE. Also as a final comment our Regulators have done extensive testing on fixed CO alarms. Unless you are prepared to pay big dollars and have them serviced and calibrated accordingly it is a total waste. CO is a silent KILLER. Now engineer go and get your facts straight.

Comment

I agree with plumberscrack. You just need to change the flue crock location in order to install the proper size of flue pipe.
                            How to find the Best Australia Plumbing Services?

Comment

Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
                              Thanks BLUE_CAN. I dont want this to turn into a ****-fight but over here we actually care for our CHILDREN and FAMILIES. Stick your rant about creating jobs for plumbers where it belongs. It is one thing to get wet doing water but CO is the silent killer. come over here you spineless twit and look into the eyes of the parents of those two little boys and tell them it doesnt matter. Yes there are some who get a second chance, the mother of these boys did. However she has been dealt a life sentence. Yes we can only speculate about the actual cause of these deaths and god knows there are many true professionals who have investigated as best they can as the CORONER is involved and we all agree, what cost is life. You are trained in engineering, at least we are led to believe this. Your pathetic attempt is beyond reproach. I bet your mother would be proud of you. Ask her whether you can gamble with her life by doing a job like this. And yes I held back on commenting about the photos as I dont want to encourage those untrained in this area. There are many faults which even you, the "ENGINEER" hasnt picked up on.
                              Down here we contend with this attitude as well but the true professional knows his boundaries and speaks within. You dont know me, you dont know my knowlege base and you certainly dont appreciate the passion some of us have for this industry. This forum is good for helping out but there is a line that MUST be drawn. I dare you to look int the eyes of your children and come back with a DOLLAR VALUE you put on their lives. All true professional PLUMBER GASFITTERS would agree with everything I have said. I am not malicious, I am not being contoversial, I am just expressing concern for actual LIFE. Also as a final comment our Regulators have done extensive testing on fixed CO alarms. Unless you are prepared to pay big dollars and have them serviced and calibrated accordingly it is a total waste. CO is a silent KILLER. Now engineer go and get your facts straight.
                              Sorry I stand by what I said. You have the nerve to call my post a rant. Looking at your post and my post who do you think posted the rant. Trying to promote what you do by implying that only a pro can do the job is unethical at best. Plenty of people can do the job correctly given the correct info and procedure. Trying to "save" adults from themselves as though they were children is ridiculous.

Comment

There is no talking to Blue_Can. He only sees green.

I wonder if he would risk his career and ability to sleep at night helping build an electronic device over the computer that cause harm or death?
                                AllurePlumbing.com
                                • leak detection
                                • drain cleaning
                                • utility locating
                                • and other specialties.

Comment

Working...
                                X