X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Flue for water heater question

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
    There is no talking to Blue_Can. He only sees green.

I wonder if he would risk his career and ability to sleep at night helping build an electronic device over the computer that cause harm or death?
    Round number 2 at impressing people on this site Getinit? Or maybe your user name should be "notgettingit"?

Comment

You are faced with a simple question putting yourself in a great position to show us all how you would do things....and you can't. Instead you start throwing insults? I will not respond to your attempt at childish rhetoric. Please, keep showing us your true colors.
      AllurePlumbing.com
      • leak detection
      • drain cleaning
      • utility locating
      • conductor fault locating
      • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

You are faced with a simple question putting yourself in a great position to show us all how you would do things....and you can't. Instead you start throwing insults? I will not respond to your attempt at childish rhetoric. Please, keep showing us your true colors.
        It's interesting that you have your plumbing website in your sig (which I assume you are hoping that potential customers would see) and yet the way you keep responding with petty minded and personal comments makes me wonder how professional you are to do business with. Regardless of the info on your website if I were a potential customer in your area I would have serious doubts of hiring you if I saw this thread.
        Last edited by blue_can; 05-20-2012, 11:52 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
          Plenty of people can do the job correctly given the correct info and procedure. Trying to "save" adults from themselves as though they were children is ridiculous.
          Blue Can you're a pretty good devil's advocate.
          "Plenty of people (also) can (self diagnose illness and prescribe the proper medication), given the correct info and procedure. Trying to "save" adults from themselves" is exactly what our prescription medication laws are all about.

In the case in question, the initiator of the thread, Hosh, posted a picture clearly showing a lack of concern or understanding of the dangers of improper venting. Every responder to the thread, given that they are for the most part trained in the areas they respond in, had to first ask himself if Hosh is capable of assimilating the correct info and procedure. Judging by the various responses, some judged him to be so, others not. Some here probably don't have such a high regard of the intelligence of their fellow humans as you do. Perhaps you don't take to being lumped in with the great unwashed. I, for one, have on a few occasions on this forum made the "hire a pro" statement. I meant it as no offense. I just felt that, from the evidence at hand, the person I was addressing was in over their heads, sometimes possibly dangerously so. To turn the tables a bit, I've posted questions on electricians' sites and was always careful to state my level of knowledge so that they could customize their tutorials, or possible play the "H A P" card. When given the latter, I took no offense, because I knew the advise was given in my best interest, not to promote work for some underemployed "sparky".

Comment

I don't think anything I have said is petty but helpful and concerned. The closest thing to a personal comment has been engineers that I know are smart. And you are still dodging the question. I am done with you. I said it earlier, there is no use in talking to you. I have been in hopes to get your perspective if the tables were reversed and you come up empty handed and with an attempt at confrontation. You can try to twist everyone's words in an attempt to make people look bad but you will not. I run my business open, honest and upfront. I will and do share my thoughts with the people in my area. I have nothing to hide. In fact, I am on this forum because of the other professionals on this forum. The bonus is that others will see my posts, sharing advice with their best interests in mind. If that means helping them sort out a problem, helping to mitigate them, or telling them to throw in the towel. They have no reason to listen to any of us PROFESSIONALS. They ask and we respond. It is up to the individual to make their own choices. If that means they tackle the problem or hand it over, the decision is theirs. This forum, should a potential customer find me here, will do great things for me. They will see that I care enough to help people for free, on my off time. They will see that I am not boasting about how wonderful I am and that I am the only person in this state to be their plumber. they will see that I know it is a public forum and I stand behind what I say and do with conviction and care. I hope every potential customer can read every post I make to see me for who I am. I am an educated man. I am an honest man. I am a business man. I am a family man. I also go to church. I am a man that values others opinions and input. I am a man that answers questions and takes responsibility for my answers and comments alike. I am a man that sleeps soundly at night. If conversing with you doesn't show them this, I am still willing to talk to them.
            AllurePlumbing.com
            • leak detection
            • drain cleaning
            • utility locating
            • and other specialties.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
              Blue Can you're a pretty good devil's advocate.
              "Plenty of people (also) can (self diagnose illness and prescribe the proper medication), given the correct info and procedure. Trying to "save" adults from themselves" is exactly what our prescription medication laws are all about.

In the case in question, the initiator of the thread, Hosh, posted a picture clearly showing a lack of concern or understanding of the dangers of improper venting. Every responder to the thread, given that they are for the most part trained in the areas they respond in, had to first ask himself if Hosh is capable of assimilating the correct info and procedure. Judging by the various responses, some judged him to be so, others not. Some here probably don't have such a high regard of the intelligence of their fellow humans as you do. Perhaps you don't take to being lumped in with the great unwashed. I, for one, have on a few occasions on this forum made the "hire a pro" statement. I meant it as no offense. I just felt that, from the evidence at hand, the person I was addressing was in over their heads, sometimes possibly dangerously so. To turn the tables a bit, I've posted questions on electricians' sites and was always careful to state my level of knowledge so that they could customize their tutorials, or possible play the "H A P" card. When given the latter, I took no offense, because I knew the advise was given in my best interest, not to promote work for some underemployed "sparky".
              I think it is reasonable to point out what needs to be done, the dangers of doing it incorrectly and let the people make the best decision for themselves. Most people I know (and I understand this is only a tiny faction of the general population) can evaluate when they are in over their heads. One of the things that I have noticed on this forum is people giving advice assume what people are capable of and generally that is not really possible to do over the net. I occasionally do advice on other forums on subjects I know a fair bit about such as automotive repairs and I have been asked by posters if I felt they could teardown and rebuild automatic transmissions - something I have done a few times and have advised others on how to troubleshoot and fix. I have had to tell them at that point that I cannot give advice on that - I can advice on the procedure but they had to make that evaluation.

Comment

I don't think anything I have said is petty but helpful and concerned. The closest thing to a personal comment has been engineers that I know are smart. And you are still dodging the question. I am done with you. I said it earlier, there is no use in talking to you. I have been in hopes to get your perspective if the tables were reversed and you come up empty handed and with an attempt at confrontation. You can try to twist everyone's words in an attempt to make people look bad but you will not. I run my business open, honest and upfront. I will and do share my thoughts with the people in my area. I have nothing to hide. In fact, I am on this forum because of the other professionals on this forum. The bonus is that others will see my posts, sharing advice with their best interests in mind. If that means helping them sort out a problem, helping to mitigate them, or telling them to throw in the towel. They have no reason to listen to any of us PROFESSIONALS. They ask and we respond. It is up to the individual to make their own choices. If that means they tackle the problem or hand it over, the decision is theirs. This forum, should a potential customer find me here, will do great things for me. They will see that I care enough to help people for free, on my off time. They will see that I am not boasting about how wonderful I am and that I am the only person in this state to be their plumber. they will see that I know it is a public forum and I stand behind what I say and do with conviction and care. I hope every potential customer can read every post I make to see me for who I am. I am an educated man. I am an honest man. I am a business man. I am a family man. I also go to church. I am a man that values others opinions and input. I am a man that answers questions and takes responsibility for my answers and comments alike. I am a man that sleeps soundly at night. If conversing with you doesn't show them this, I am still willing to talk to them.
                Nice speech. So if you are done with me how come you are still posting? As for personal and petty comments just go back and re-read some of your previous postings.

Comment

Originally posted by plumbus View Post
                  In the case in question, the initiator of the thread, Hosh, posted a picture clearly showing a lack of concern or understanding of the dangers of improper venting.
                  To be clear - I did mention that this was a swap of the water heater with nothing else touched. That is a very simple job and my question was to gauge a few things: if it was correct, if it needed to be changed, and if it was outside of my abilities. I'll tell you right now it is nowhere near outside of my abilities, although the knowledge is. That would never stop me from hiring a pro though. I've had a moment to find the paperwork on the previous installation and it was indeed installed by a licensed plumber. So swearing by plumbers saving families also does not always work out.

If I could take a step back and offer my advice on this thread, I would say thanks to everyone and that I learned a lot and very quickly. That is wonderful.. it really is. I learned the least from Cleanmen2's rant, which offered nothing except fear mongering and berating when I had already come to the conclusion that it is wrong and I better get it fixed fast. But aside from it being mildly annoying.. I find nothing wrong with that. I figure he wrote it when he was drunk and maybe cut through many of the responses in between. I believe that is what bluecan was trying to point out.. and then things went a bit haywire. But on that note.. let's all calm down haha

Edit: I foolishly made a mistake in this post and have corrected the name of the person I mentioned.

Cheers!
                  Last edited by Hosh; 05-21-2012, 07:56 PM. Reason: Used wrong person's name - gettinit instead of cleanmen2

Comment

Originally posted by Hosh View Post
                    To be clear - I did mention that this was a swap of the water heater with nothing else touched. That is a very simple job and my question was to gauge a few things: if it was correct, if it needed to be changed, and if it was outside of my abilities. I'll tell you right now it is nowhere near outside of my abilities, although the knowledge is. That would never stop me from hiring a pro though. I've had a moment to find the paperwork on the previous installation and it was indeed installed by a licensed plumber. So swearing by plumbers saving families also does not always work out.

If I could take a step back and offer my advice on this thread, I would say thanks to everyone and that I learned a lot and very quickly. That is wonderful.. it really is. I learned the least from Notgettinit's rant, which offered nothing except fear mongering and berating when I had already come to the conclusion that it is wrong and I better get it fixed fast. But aside from it being mildly annoying.. I find nothing wrong with that. I figure he wrote it when he was drunk and maybe cut through many of the responses in between. I believe that is what bluecan was trying to point out.. and then things went a bit haywire. But on that note.. let's all calm down haha

Cheers!
                    Sorry, I was not drunk.

"It looks like it might be a barometric damper installed improperly. The water heater vent needs to be installed above the boiler vent. The vent also needs to enter just passed the flue liner in the chimney." I am sorry this didn't help...thought I was the first to point this out... Hell, Plumber Rick was the first to mention the possibility of the danger of death, and rightly so. I never said you were not capable of dealing with the venting issue. If I had I wouldn't have bothered to tell you how to do it. If that is the way you feel, fine.
                    AllurePlumbing.com
                    • leak detection
                    • drain cleaning
                    • utility locating
                    • and other specialties.

Comment

Sorry, I was not drunk.

"It looks like it might be a barometric damper installed improperly. The water heater vent needs to be installed above the boiler vent. The vent also needs to enter just passed the flue liner in the chimney." I am sorry this didn't help...thought I was the first to point this out... Hell, Plumber Rick was the first to mention the possibility of the danger of death, and rightly so. I never said you were not capable of dealing with the venting issue. If I had I wouldn't have bothered to tell you how to do it. If that is the way you feel, fine.
                      Gettinit ,Your posts were informative, and served a family well.
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Lol dammit I'm sorry. I'm mixing up my people after reading all the arguing. The rant I was referring to which was least helpful was by Cleanmen2. You were indeed very helpful and once again I am grateful for your response. I'm a space cadet today after a bachelor party and did not mean to mix you up. Your advice was terrific and I was able to use it while meeting the service technician, to fix it all up proper. I'm an idiot.. you da' man!

Comment

After all that has been posted and this being text it is hard to tell sarcasm....but I am sorry to you if my back and forth with Blue_Can offended you. My back and forth was not even about you and your job, just generalities on this forum. I enjoy a back and forth with anyone willing to put on their gloves with respect. I hope your next contractor does a better job. I am a big advocate for inspections to cover everyone, the homeowner and the contractor alike.
                          AllurePlumbing.com
                          • leak detection
                          • drain cleaning
                          • utility locating
                          • and other specialties.

Comment

It is not sarcasm. I just screwed up. I was away and read all the responses after mine just now and got a lil swamped with them and mixed up. Anyway - every response is a good response and I agree with your assessment of your back and forth with bluecan. I just wanted to chime in on what got the thread derailed. I thought that by chiming in on what a poster may find helpful/unhelpful or even counterproductive, it might help the person in future interactions. And I meant it with the best of intentions.

Comment

No shut off on the W.H. cold feed , is that a East coast Practice ? Also can someone explain How the different size Flues entering the chimney affect each other?
                              Smaller Below the larger ,Ect. Thanks
                              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

There is a shut off - it just isn't pictured. It is just up above and barely out of sight. The smaller above the larger question is one I am interested in as well. I don't understand it in theory.

Comment

Working...
                                X