Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Flue for water heater question

Originally posted by Hosh View Post
    To be fair to my assessment.. it was late night on a Friday and an obvious huge rant after many nice and helpful responses. I mentioned it half in jest but it makes a lot of sense to me to continue with that conclusion. That was my take on it and it makes logical sense. After all there was plenty of good, intelligent back and forth before a very agitated rant that didn't seem to fit in. It wasn't like I came on and said, "look at this great job I did.. I'm not touching it no matter what you say." I said gee thanks, this advice has made me make this a top priority and I will get this done correctly, right away. That's why the rant did not fit it. And that's why blue_can hopped in. Then it went overboard and I can't explain any of that.. it got personal? ehh.. we're men.. we try to hold our ground

And it's obvious I came on because I was concerned and wanted more info. Anyone that takes a picture and asks.. "did this installer do it correctly" is out to make sure it is done right.
    Yes that was my take on it also – everything seemed to be going fine until this sudden rant out of the blue. If I had not stepped in with my comment you would have found a few posts later that you were already dead due to CO poisoning.

I could not resist that comment and I did apologize before making it but something similar happened on a thread I had started recently also. Everything was going fine until one person stopped by to say “hire a pro”. Within a few posts I had been evaluated to be a complete imbecile who could not do any kind of plumbing – at least until plumber Rick stepped in.

Several people on this forum exhibit a “pack” mentaility and like to dive in once a suggestion has been made. I think the “HAP” crowd know this and use it to their advantage. Some of the exchange you saw is continuing from the thread I had started. I did have to try and keep it to topic as these things can go haywire quite quickly as it happened on this thread. It also seems to be common behavior to try and call out people’s intelligence, competence etc once things degenerate. Again also seen this involving other people.

I’m a member of several forums and some of the worst behavior I’ve seen is on this forum especially on the plumbing section even though I’m not a frequent visitor on this site. In most forums the only time things degenerate is when the discussion of politics start.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
      Sorry to detract again from the OPs topic at hand. You do have to wonder what is going though some people's head when they post stuff. I maintain (as in my other thread) that lately this site is not what it used to be based on my recent experiences.
      Mark has asked us to keep it CIVIl. So BlueCAn you are welcome to leave anytime you like. I dont care to keep entertaining you and you dont see the reasoning behind our concern. That comes from your lack of traing that many of us here have spent our lives doing. Without us most would be living in a third world type environment. You would not enjoy warmth through a gas heater, pipes to carry away your waste, water to wash you hands and keep your teeth clean. You hate professionals, so be it. I speak for myself and say that I have concerns for safety. If you want to research some of our websites here you will understand the concerns for CO poisoning. We have worked extremely hard with our regulators to investigate and prevent this from happening. But yes, you cant educate an idiot and you cant stop a hack from thinking he knows what he is doing. You sound to be a viscious person who has concern for your back pocket only. You seem to get enjopyment from attacking Professionals. I think this site is not intended as a Q&A for diy 'ers but rather to help people. Encouraging bad practices is not part of our Code of Ethics.

So BLUECAN, if you dont want to be here we wont mind if you leave. I am sure there are more interesting places you could go which would appreciate your opinions more. As far as DRUGS and ALCOHOL, only a coward would stoop to this level in response to a discussion that has been going on here.

To our MODERATOR, maybe it would be a good time to close this thread to prevent it degenerating further.

Comment

Originally posted by chicago-plumbers
        If your water heater is burst, then you should take new one.
        This makes the whole thread worth the aggravation....
        Delete my post then close it out! I can't think about a better way to end it.
        AllurePlumbing.com
        • leak detection
        • drain cleaning
        • utility locating
        • conductor fault locating
        • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
          Mark has asked us to keep it CIVIl. So BlueCAn you are welcome to leave anytime you like. I dont care to keep entertaining you and you dont see the reasoning behind our concern. That comes from your lack of traing that many of us here have spent our lives doing. Without us most would be living in a third world type environment. You would not enjoy warmth through a gas heater, pipes to carry away your waste, water to wash you hands and keep your teeth clean. You hate professionals, so be it. I speak for myself and say that I have concerns for safety. If you want to research some of our websites here you will understand the concerns for CO poisoning. We have worked extremely hard with our regulators to investigate and prevent this from happening. But yes, you cant educate an idiot and you cant stop a hack from thinking he knows what he is doing. You sound to be a viscious person who has concern for your back pocket only. You seem to get enjopyment from attacking Professionals. I think this site is not intended as a Q&A for diy 'ers but rather to help people. Encouraging bad practices is not part of our Code of Ethics.

So BLUECAN, if you dont want to be here we wont mind if you leave. I am sure there are more interesting places you could go which would appreciate your opinions more. As far as DRUGS and ALCOHOL, only a coward would stoop to this level in response to a discussion that has been going on here.

To our MODERATOR, maybe it would be a good time to close this thread to prevent it degenerating further.
          Civility goes both ways. I just have difficulty understanding why you cannot post without coming off as ranting. Also your wild conclusions about me - hating professionals, not smart etc. I'm still wondering what causes someone to post like this.

Comment

I have two cents to add:

There will be times when someone will put up a picture (or describe a scenario) where there is obviously something wrong to the professionals in the crowd. The poster is entitled (within the good will of the crowd) to know what is wrong with the scenario and what needs immediate attention, without judgement as to who caused it.

I say without judgement, because the scenario could have been created by a hack or by a professional alike. Who did it is not important. While professionals are less likely to make bad blunders, they make them. All work is open to second opinions and inspection, whether done by a hack or a professional.

In these forums, there is little need to mention who did the work, only a description of the work itself, and a request for advice on what to do next. Those willing to give it are being paid in good will. Those wanting to pass judgement on the person asking should think twice. The person is here asking for help, can't be all bad.

Comment

Sorry but I am getting complaints about the back and forth so I am closing the thread.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
              X