Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flue for water heater question

Hey Everyone,

My water heater just burst so I popped in a new one but I have a question about my flue pipe. You'll see along the flue, heading into the wall, there is a box like vent aimed downward. It is completely open at the bottom. What is this thing and (do I need it/is it correct)? I did a simple replace and kept everything the same.

Also, I'm sure this has been asked a billion times but: Do I need a dielectric union on top of the steel nipples coming out of the top of the water heater? The supply house guy told me to just stick copper females on there and I am good to go.

Thanks!

Andrew
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Hosh; 05-18-2012, 09:08 PM. Reason: spelling error

Re: Flue for water heater question

no one is going to die with copper to steel connections. but a brass nipple is best.

but when you reduuce 4'' vent to 3'' vent, someone could die

lets see other chime in as i have a big dinner waiting for me.

coming joey

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

reducing down like that and having the larger pipe open will let gases into the house
      i would make the pipe the same size into the chimney and take out the box thing ,that is to help with the draft but you have the same thing on the top of the heater so you dont need two of them
      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Is Your home in an area of strong down drafts ,that in the past has blown out the pilot ? If You're fairly new to the area , Look to the old timers in Your Hood. They are a great asset with Your home and area history.
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I added an extra carbon monoxide detector and cracked the window. I won't be able to get to it till next week. It has been like this since at least the last boiler installation in 03'. No pilot light blow outs as far back as I can remember and we have had this place for a long time. The only difference between my setup and whoever installed the previous water heater is, the flue was sitting directly on top of the vent of the water heater, without the lil vent-cap thing. I'm wondering if I carry the 3" over to the water heater or connect as far up as I can with new 4". The 4" fit perfectly on the new lil vent cap thing.

So the box thats open downwards should go no matter what?

Comment

It looks like it might be a barometric damper installed improperly. The water heater vent needs to be installed above the boiler vent. The vent also needs to enter just passed the flue liner in the chimney. Please get this thing inspected! The lives of your family may be in jeopardy.
            AllurePlumbing.com
            • leak detection
            • drain cleaning
            • utility locating
            • conductor fault locating
            • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Originally posted by Hosh View Post
              I added an extra carbon monoxide detector and cracked the window. I won't be able to get to it till next week. It has been like this since at least the last boiler installation in 03'. No pilot light blow outs as far back as I can remember and we have had this place for a long time. The only difference between my setup and whoever installed the previous water heater is, the flue was sitting directly on top of the vent of the water heater, without the lil vent-cap thing. I'm wondering if I carry the 3" over to the water heater or connect as far up as I can with new 4". The 4" fit perfectly on the new lil vent cap thing.

So the box thats open downwards should go no matter what?
              GET THE INSTRUCTIONS. It will show you the minimum vent diameter. The lil thing is a draft hood.
              AllurePlumbing.com
              • leak detection
              • drain cleaning
              • utility locating
              • and other specialties.

Comment

Alright, thank you very much. Working on it and pushing it up very high on the priority list. Very glad I checked in.. you guys are great. I will keep looking for any continuing advice if anyone has any. For now it is.. look at the instructions to figure out the minimum size - work from there. And I will eliminate the upside down open box vent thing.

Comment

I'm having trouble locating a definitive vent size for the flue in the manual. Truth be told I can't find my manual at the moment - I think it's in my van at another location. I think this is the manual though http://www.hotwater.com/lit/im/res_gas/319557.pdf Does anyone know if 3" is enough? I'm guessing 4" is the correct size but it's purely a guess because I can't find a single thing after going over it several times. Although of course I might be missing it. What do you vent your average household water heater with normally?

Thanks!

Comment

It's probably 3". What model AO Smith heater is it?

Change the flue crock location as Gettinit says and install the proper size flue pipe.

Less important but add a shutoff valve and expansion tank.

Comment

God damn man have some respect for your family and get it checked out. We here are mostly Professional Plumber Gasfitters and we only yell because we care. Over here we have had many try to do it cheap and think they are right. yes there are many flaws in your photo but we have a "DUTY OF CARE" to advise you seek out a PROFESSIONAL PLUMBER GASFITTER to come and sort it out. He should have the experience to jump right in and rectify and tell you "it is alright" instead of I "think it is alright". It is also a bit unfair to expect us here,IMHO, to help with a install like this. Now before you jump down my throat I am not out to slam you, I actually am pationate about my trade. I was one of many voices which spoke up loudly to get our regulator to open up about the death of two little boys nearly two years ago. Down here no one can pre-empt the Coroner but he/she hadnt put down the findings of this case. We were so concerned that we threatened to get "lippy" with the papers and embarrass as much as we could the Authorities for sitting on their hands. These two beautiful boys died of CO poisoning. Their Mother was first "loosely" suspected of murder-suicide. She unfortunately has a life long legacy in that she has lost some of her bodily functions due to the CO poisoning. It was a heater and a mixture of circumstance. We still however have many who think we are thieves because we charge so much. But I ask you and all reading, "How much does your wife, sons, daughters and all others in your family" cost???????????????????? WHat price do you put on their heads over the savings you have made DIY. Again slam me if you want but this is serious. I wouldnt put myself out here like this if I thought otherwise. Get a PROFESSIONAL PLEASE, if not for you do it for your family.

Comment

Out of spite for your rant.. I'm leaving it AS IS!! Haha, JK.. yes of course I'm getting it checked out. Thank you again.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
                          God damn man have some respect for your family and get it checked out. We here are mostly Professional Plumber Gasfitters and we only yell because we care. Over here we have had many try to do it cheap and think they are right. yes there are many flaws in your photo but we have a "DUTY OF CARE" to advise you seek out a PROFESSIONAL PLUMBER GASFITTER to come and sort it out. He should have the experience to jump right in and rectify and tell you "it is alright" instead of I "think it is alright". It is also a bit unfair to expect us here,IMHO, to help with a install like this. Now before you jump down my throat I am not out to slam you, I actually am pationate about my trade. I was one of many voices which spoke up loudly to get our regulator to open up about the death of two little boys nearly two years ago. Down here no one can pre-empt the Coroner but he/she hadnt put down the findings of this case. We were so concerned that we threatened to get "lippy" with the papers and embarrass as much as we could the Authorities for sitting on their hands. These two beautiful boys died of CO poisoning. Their Mother was first "loosely" suspected of murder-suicide. She unfortunately has a life long legacy in that she has lost some of her bodily functions due to the CO poisoning. It was a heater and a mixture of circumstance. We still however have many who think we are thieves because we charge so much. But I ask you and all reading, "How much does your wife, sons, daughters and all others in your family" cost???????????????????? WHat price do you put on their heads over the savings you have made DIY. Again slam me if you want but this is serious. I wouldnt put myself out here like this if I thought otherwise. Get a PROFESSIONAL PLEASE, if not for you do it for your family.
                          I was wondering how long this thread was going to last before a "hire a pro" post would show up.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
                            I was wondering how long this thread was going to last before a "hire a pro" post would show up.
                            You still don't get it.
                            AllurePlumbing.com
                            • leak detection
                            • drain cleaning
                            • utility locating
                            • and other specialties.

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
                              You still don't get it.
                              I feel bad about derailing the OPs thread but I could not resist

I do get it. Must be nice to be able to throw out the "we a concerned for your safety" or "you will save money by hiring a pro" when all it means is "please hire a plumber so that we will have jobs/work". At least be honest about it. Posts like this assume people are simple minded.

So who is going to thank me for my post then.

Comment

Working...
                              X