Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shark Bite

Originally posted by stolen View Post
    How is shark bite more hack than press? Because you paid 2 grand?

I find it hard to believe that a professional plumber would even ask.

Comment

Has anyone done an independent test using these fittings and then testing to failure. Not sure how you would simulate age though.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
        Has anyone done an independent test using these fittings and then testing to failure. Not sure how you would simulate age though.
        You can compare them to John Guest fittings, aside from the bodies being different materials. After a few years the rubber gets stiff and flattens out. Any movement at all will cause a leak. Sometimes the water being off and pressure took off is enough to see water spray. They work best on softer poly lines. They also use a metal retaining ring that may cause electrolysis.

I would like to know if they meet the new standards for lead that we are all going to?
        AllurePlumbing.com
        • leak detection
        • drain cleaning
        • utility locating
        • conductor fault locating
        • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
          You can compare them to John Guest fittings, aside from the bodies being different materials. After a few years the rubber gets stiff and flattens out. Any movement at all will cause a leak. Sometimes the water being off and pressure took off is enough to see water spray. They work best on softer poly lines. They also use a metal retaining ring that may cause electrolysis.

I would like to know if they meet the new standards for lead that we are all going to?
          Sorry I think my post was not clear . What I meant to say was - has anyone done an independent test of various fittings such as sweat, propress, shark bite etc and comparison tested them to failure to see how they stack up against each other.

Comment

Sorry I think my post was not clear . What I meant to say was - has anyone done an independent test of various fittings such as sweat, propress, shark bite etc and comparison tested them to failure to see how they stack up against each other.
            I don't see a reason to do a comparative study versus each other. The only things one needs to know is what is the temperature of fluids/gases running through the pipes, what are the pipes transporting, and will it meet local codes. None can be frozen and expected not to fail. It would be easy enough to get the specsheets from the manufacturers.
            AllurePlumbing.com
            • leak detection
            • drain cleaning
            • utility locating
            • and other specialties.

Comment

Is sharkbite code approved for use within walls.
              From the Shark Bite website:
              Certifications:
              SharkBite® push-fit fittings have been design certified and listed to ASSE 1061/NSF 61. SharkBite push-fit fittings are listed by IAPMO and are certified for potable and hydronic heating water distribution (note: Glycol mixture for hydronics is not to exceed 100% concentration). The SharkBite push-fit fittings have been certified for underground applications and as a manufactured joint without access panels and they meet UPC, IPC and cUPC requirements. Please consult with local plumbing codes concerning specific applications.

Comment

@ranger

My point is, they take about the same amount of skill. And the argument of the pipe rotating is absurd. Unless its a hosebib. While a shark bite can rotate, its highly unlikely it will. I'm not advocating for them at will, believe me. I use a press from time to time.

and the o ring doesn't flatten almost completely out on a press, not even close. unless there is a set of jaws that totally smooth out the o ring groove that i'm not aware of.

Aside from shark bites being a lot more sloppy on the fit, they are the, same. Assuming absolutely no movement, who is to say the press will last longer? And if you are going to argue movement, maybe you need to strap your pipes.They are junk, I agree one hundred percent. But they are whoring out the trade just as much as pro press is.

Comment

the properess / viega o-ring is not round like a typical o-ring on a sharkbite after it is crimped. the o-ring is used as a sealing element and no longer an o-ring type of seal. meaning it gets pressed and flattened out. remember that when viega fittings first came out to our market, they sealed so good that even without crimping they wouldn't leak. but they could pull off if the line had movement. so viega came up with the smart connect feature to create a leak if not crimped. there is a slight nick/ notch in the copper fitting that allows for a drip/ leak until crimped. the crimping flattens out the o-ring and squeezes it into the nick to seal the joint.

once crimped, you could muscle the joint and turn the fitting/ 90 up to 5 degrees without re-crimping. the re-crimp is to make sure the joint is still tight and not capable of pulling out. the joint still will not leak even if you don't re-crimp.

while on paper the sharkbite and press fitting seem similar, they are miles apart once crimped.

i have a cutaway of a viega crimped fitting after it was pressed. i will see if i can get a good photo to post. the fitting is located at my shop so it's not happening this weekend.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Pipes move no matter how great a job you're doing strapping your pipe. Sorry STOLEN but you're wrong. The two aren't even close to being the same. If you want to use sharkbites that's your choice. I still say they're for hacks and you won't catch me installing them. I have never seen a professional installing sharkbites in a system yet I see everyone including myself using Propress for residential and commercial. What's that tell ya? I haven't bought a roll of solder in over two years.
                    I do carry a couple of Sharkbite couplings in the truck, they've been there a long time. I did try one once under a mobile home when it was 30 below zero. Guess what? It leaked instantly, never used once since, total garbage if you ask me.

Comment

There are some plumbers around here that use shark bites exclusively. $180/hr from what I understand. That's twice the average going rate around here.
                      Last edited by Gettinit; 05-27-2012, 10:20 PM. Reason: stupid auto correct
                      AllurePlumbing.com
                      • leak detection
                      • drain cleaning
                      • utility locating
                      • and other specialties.

Comment

We are some plumbers around here that use shark bites exclusively. $180/hr from what I understand. That's twice the average going rate around here.

That's really sad. If I did that I would be laughed all the way out of Minnesota! I would be SO embarrassed to have a job like that inspected.

Comment

Well i'm sorry that you have trouble installing a shark bite.

I actually have pretty good success keeping my pipes solid. Of course expansion/contraction can't be helped. But that's besides the point. What is the point, is that no one is saying shark bites pull off the pipe when it moves, but that the pipe can be twisted. And in normal plumbing systems, pipes don't rotate. There is the exception of things like hose bibs, and stub outs. But aside from examples like that, pipe isn't known for spinning.

As i've already stated, I use propress. I don't use shark bites. I don't like the idea of either actually. Sure pro press is faster, but id rather run copper at 90 degree angles and solder it. Call me crazy but i'm pretty fond of plumbing taking skill. A press joint is nothing more than a glorified shark bite. They both seal with rubber. And that is a inferior seal compared to solder.

I feel sorry for apprentices now days. Pex, pvc, propress. Heck I don't even know how to pour lead. The trade is becoming, cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            the properess / viega o-ring is not round like a typical o-ring on a sharkbite after it is crimped. the o-ring is used as a sealing element and no longer an o-ring type of seal. meaning it gets pressed and flattened out. remember that when viega fittings first came out to our market, they sealed so good that even without crimping they wouldn't leak. but they could pull off if the line had movement. so viega came up with the smart connect feature to create a leak if not crimped. there is a slight nick/ notch in the copper fitting that allows for a drip/ leak until crimped. the crimping flattens out the o-ring and squeezes it into the nick to seal the joint.

once crimped, you could muscle the joint and turn the fitting/ 90 up to 5 degrees without re-crimping. the re-crimp is to make sure the joint is still tight and not capable of pulling out. the joint still will not leak even if you don't re-crimp.

while on paper the sharkbite and press fitting seem similar, they are miles apart once crimped.

i have a cutaway of a viega crimped fitting after it was pressed. i will see if i can get a good photo to post. the fitting is located at my shop so it's not happening this weekend.

rick.
                            Rick, look forward to seeing the cross-section when you have a chance...........!!!

Comment

There are some plumbers around here that use shark bites exclusively. $180/hr from what I understand. That's twice the average going rate around here.
                              Are you guys only charging $180.00 / hr.????????????????????????????????

hehehehheheheheheheeheh - Just Joking. Nice if you can get it. fortunately i have a conscience which doesnt let me do this.

Comment

the fitting is located at my shop so it's not happening this weekend.

Rick. Wait a minute, are you saying that there will be over 48 consecutive hours where you will not be at the shop?

Are you well?

Or maybe its because its a holiday weekend.

---------------
                                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                                ---------------
                                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                                ---------
                                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                                ---------
                                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X