• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shark Bite

So where's the photo?

Comment

I ended up using a couple of Shark Bite fittings myself today. My shower fixtures are talking a long time to arrive so I decided to start working on the plumbing. In order to keep the water running I cutback the supply pipes and capped with Shark bites - just for a few days - until the stuff arrives and I can finish the job.

That said I can't see myself personally using these in a long term/behind the wall type application. But it was really quick and convenient today.

Comment

used a 1/2'' cap yesterday to cap off a leak feeding an outside hose bibb, in a pharmacy that also served a nail salon next door. it took literally a minute to shut the water, clean the copper and have the water back on. even faster than the 5 minutes i told the nail salon it would be off.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Stopped by a local supply house that was open yesterday, and to my surprise they are now stocking "Shark-bite, Tech Tite" in 11/4"-2".
          Couplings, 90 degree ells, male and female adapters, and caps. I bought the caps and removal clips. Let the flaming begin.

Can't wait for the 2-1/2-4's to hit the street.

Comment

I was a skeptic but used it on this current remodel.
            Got tons of stubs....1/2 - 3/4.....and in one area where I've had a cap for at least 4-5 month, so far she's been holding up. I would not use it buried and or in a finished cabinet. Strictly just for caps and or makeshift 1/2 valves for water during the rough in is Great....

Comment

Originally posted by ArizonaPlumber View Post
              Stopped by a local supply house that was open yesterday, and to my surprise they are now stocking "Shark-bite, Tech Tite" in 11/4"-2".
              Couplings, 90 degree ells, male and female adapters, and caps. I bought the caps and removal clips. Let the flaming begin.

Can't wait for the 2-1/2-4's to hit the street.
              How does the cost difference between Sharkbite and sweat fittings stack up? For me it would be a huge cost increase on a project to use Sharkbite exclusively (based on what the caps cost vs a sweat cap) but for those doing it on a commercial basis maybe the increased cost is offset by the time savings on the job?

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
                How does the cost difference between Sharkbite and sweat fittings stack up? For me it would be a huge cost increase on a project to use Sharkbite exclusively (based on what the caps cost vs a sweat cap) but for those doing it on a commercial basis maybe the increased cost is offset by the time savings on the job?
                Years ago we carried buckets of nipples and caps for testing galvanized water and gas pipe. At finish, we'd pull the "stub-outs" and throw them back in the bucket, to use on the next house/job.
                I now utilize the Sharkbite caps the same way, saving the cost, time, and effort of putting on a test cap.
                That's what works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by ArizonaPlumber View Post
                  Years ago we carried buckets of nipples and caps for testing galvanized water and gas pipe. At finish, we'd pull the "stub-outs" and throw them back in the bucket, to use on the next house/job.
                  I now utilize the Sharkbite caps the same way, saving the cost, time, and effort of putting on a test cap.
                  That's what works for me.
                  Good idea. So far I've not seen anyone admit they actually use these on permanent installs. But as I've just found out (and confirmed by others here) they are great as temp caps.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
                    Good idea. So far I've not seen anyone admit they actually use these on permanent installs. But as I've just found out (and confirmed by others here) they are great as temp caps.
                    Riddle Me This.
                    Locally, two of the plumbing supply houses I frequent are continually running out of sharkbites in all sizes.
                    While both sell to Homer Homeowner, the majority of their business is the "plumber, plumbing contractor".
                    Who's buying all the sharkbite fittings. I'm sure they're not just using them for a temporary solution. They are being installed on a permanent basis, from ball valves to manifolds in 1/2" to 1" by "Plumbers" who are earning a living doing plumbing work.
                    Personally, should I have the need I wouldn't hesitate using them on a permanent basis, even behind a wall to facilitate a solution for a customer.
                    Let the flames begin.
                    AP

Comment

Looks like the great Sharkbite debate is not taking off

If I know for sure it will last as long as sweat fittings I would be more than happy to use it for behind the wall applications. Why would I be wanting to prep pipe and then sweat it in place - especially with the risk of starting a fire - when I can just push the fitting in.

Obviously there is more skill involved in making soldered connections than pushing something together but as long as they do the job I'm fine with it.

I din't know how these things are made and the talk of rubber seals makes me uneasy - I thought rubber eventually perishes or becomes hard, brittle and then cracks.

Comment

Shark Bites I've yet to see an installation of shark bites from a professional in my area. They sell them at Ace, the hacks love them. I got called out to a house for a few leaks. The customers repiped his entire house with shark bites and pex. I gave him an estimate for a do over.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                          Shark Bites I've yet to see an installation of shark bites from a professional in my area. They sell them at Ace, the hacks love them. I got called out to a house for a few leaks. The customers repiped his entire house with shark bites and pex. I gave him an estimate for a do over.
                          Maybe the customer was - well I was going to say hack - but maybe did not have sufficient knowledge would be a better word Maybe they cut the pipe out of square or left burrs. So it could have been install error.

Comment

so true. i spoke to a plumber the other day and he didn't know about reaming the outer edge. no less not owning an outer reamer. he told me when he tried 1'' shark bites, they leaked. of course they will leak if you nick the oring because of not reaming as required.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Well I got all of the piping done for my shower project this weekend. Needless to say I ended up fighting water in the pipes (forgot to drain the tankless and even though I installed the tankless forgot how much water it contains) plus I did not expect water to keep defying gravity and keep rising into the pipes from below on the hot line even with the cold feed severed. In any event it ended up taking somewhat longer than I was expecting as I had to remove, reclean and reflux all thew components once the pipe flooded.

As a result I was wishing I had propress and took a look a bit more closely at the cut away of the Viega fittings. Having seen the cross section I'm in agreement with Rick about why Propress is much different to Sharkbite. From what I can see the O-ring does not play a part in the sealing process - it looks like it is there to form a cushion between the two metal layers during crimping. Since the seal is formed from metal to metal contact even if the o-ring were to perish once crimped it should not affect the joint.

On the other hand in Sharkbte the o-ring is the sealing element so once it perishes there will be a leak.

I may try propress on my next project just out of curiosity (got my second shower to do once I'm done with this one). Not sure how the cost of fittings work out - I'm sure more costly than sweat. I typically work backwards from the roughed in components to the supply line so I could just use propress for the lines than would be containing water.

Comment

i've never tried to remove the o-ring from propress and crimp. then pump up the system to test. but i'm 99% sure the fitting will leak. the crimp is used to keep the fitting from pulling apart. the o-ring is the seal. although the o-ring takes on a different form once crimped, it is still necessary to have it there. a nicked o-ring will most likely also leak.

the more oddball less common fittings is where you will see the big price difference. 90's , adapters and couplings are very competitive. non reducing tees are also competitive. it's the non standard fittings that will floor you. it also depends where and how much you buy.

rick.
                                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                                X