X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shark Bite

I have learned so much on this forum and last night it saved me. I have a two story home and like most homes it came with two hose nib's. One in the front and one in the rear. I decided to add three more so I could use my drip system on all our flower beds. After deciding where to cut into the line I cut the 3/4 copper and prepared to solder in a 3/4" tee. I had done this several times before and though it takes a lot of time to get the water out of the system was successful. Well last night Murphy showed up and would not leave. I drained the water line for about 1 hr and even dipped the line to get any water out of it. After not getting any water out for awhile I started to solder the tee. I had just soldered the top of the tee and was starting to solder the bottom when I heard the popping of water hitting the joint. At that point I just prayed it would work. Well Murphy had other ideas. After cooling down I charged the line and sure enough a fine stream of water shot out of the bottom of the tee. Realizing that after I cut the tee out I would only have one more chance at installing the tee before I was out of room I went to a big box store and found the Shark Bite section. These things are not cheap but I figured I would give this new fangled thing a try. Now when I went to put it on Murphy was not done with me yet. It turned out that to get to good copper I had to cut back to a point that the gap was now to much for the Shark Bite. Back to the big box store and bought a Shark Bite union. After getting home I figured it out and within 5 minutes had it fixed. Murphy finally left after 4 hours. I now wish I had just tried it in the first place. Thanks everyone for your knowledge.
    Charles

Re: Shark Bite

Way to hang with it.

When time and patience permits replace it with a soldered fitting. Try a union on the side water was coming at you and use a little bread. I recommend the unions that are copper on both ends. I may sound like some old fart but I do not trust them on hard pipe.
    AllurePlumbing.com
    • leak detection
    • drain cleaning
    • utility locating
    • conductor fault locating
    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

I was going to use the bread trick buy my wife has us on this healthy all grain bread and it does not roll up tight like good old wonder bread.
      Charles

Comment

glad it worked out. as long as the joint is not allowed to rotate, it should be fine.

even bread can be an issue with clogs if not properly flushed out.

sometimes shutting off the water and opening the fixtures will allow it to drain along with a good shop vac.

of course a propress is out of your budget

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

of course a propress is out of your budget

rick.
          Unless of course Rick has a used one to sell

Comment

i could probably spare 1 of my 10

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

With a Propress, 10 minute job tops. Bread, unions, solder? What's that?

Comment

old school

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                  With a Propress, 10 minute job tops. Bread, unions, solder? What's that?
                  For me, not long because I have tools to stop the water. Old school yes, but I am more confident it the long haul. It is certainly not a 10 minute job in a crawl space though.
                  AllurePlumbing.com
                  • leak detection
                  • drain cleaning
                  • utility locating
                  • and other specialties.

Comment

I have nothing against plumbers still being old school. In fact I think it's cool they're still doing it. Jet Swets, bread, etc. I even remember blowing into the pipe and then trying to solder really fast! LOL

But.... There is no comparison for Propress, there is no substitute. And even in a craw space the job would be easier and quicker and safer.

I won't use the shark bites but that's just my personal preference, I just don't like them and I believe they're more for the handy hack than for professional plumbers. The handy hack isn't going to purchase a propress kit for two grand and most of the local hardware stores don't carry the PP fittings.

Comment

How is shark bite more hack than press? Because you paid 2 grand?

Comment

Originally posted by stolen View Post
                        How is shark bite more hack than press? Because you paid 2 grand?
                        there is a big difference between the 2.

the sharkbite seals on an o-ring and is still able to be rotated on the ring. might be okay while the ring is soft and pliable, but it will leak if the joint is moved over time. the o-ring is the seal and remains an o-ring.

propress uses an o-ring as a seal, but once crimped the o-ring is no longer a round seal that seals on a fine lip. it is now crushed and no longer making a small contact with the tube. it's pretty much flattened out.

i use both, but of course prefer propress. plus propress goes up to 4'' and the sharkbite to 1''. there are other brands that go to 2''.

uncrimped they appear the same. crimped, there is no comparison.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Is sharkbite code approved for use within walls. I'm not sure I would feel comfortable with it within walls but I was curious if it was allowed.

Comment

i'm pretty sure they are.

rick.

see page 16 http://www.cashacme.com/_images/pdf_...B_Brochure.pdf
                            Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 05-26-2012, 06:50 AM. Reason: link
                            phoebe it is

Comment

First you need to find out if they are code approved to use state by state. Then you need to find out if the code allows for mechanical fittings in a wall without access. These types of fittings, at least here, are considered a mechanical fitting. Use at your own risk. I would rather see a compression union used. As long as your not tugging on the pipes after tightening they will last unlike the shark bite due to the o-ring.
                              AllurePlumbing.com
                              • leak detection
                              • drain cleaning
                              • utility locating
                              • and other specialties.

Comment

Working...
                              X