Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pipe dope for brass fittings (water)?

Attachment

I installed a DW the other day, and used teflon tape for the connection of the brass elbow that joins the 3/8" supply line (flex hose) to the unit itself.

The issue is, I have a drip between the brass elbow and the female brass connection on the DW.

The DW leaks 2 drops of water every cycle. I need to pull the entire unit out to get the fitting removed and reinstalled. Should I use pipe dope on the brass to brass join? Or is teflon tape fine (maybe it bunched up when I installed the fitting).

Also, if teflon tape is okay on its own, how many wraps are appropriate?

Here is a pic to help clarify.
    Attached Files

Re: pipe dope for brass fittings (water)?

A six inch crescent should get you in without having to pull it out. Some smaller crescents work if the jaws open extra wide. Six wraps of the thin white tape. Many plumbers do that and a little dope.
    AllurePlumbing.com
    • leak detection
    • drain cleaning
    • utility locating
    • conductor fault locating
    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Make sure you wrap as if you hold the fitting in your left hand then a little dope.

Comment

Perhaps you wrapped in the wrong direction. I use teflon dope with everything but 6 wraps sounds like it would surely do the job. Wrap left to right. Righty tighty - Left Loosey. "plumbers" mantra

Edit: Are these at compression fittings? Could the teflon be the problem? I don't teflon or dope supply hoses.

Note: tired and not sure I understand the issue correctly
        Last edited by Hosh; 05-25-2012, 01:02 AM.

Comment

Does anyone else see what looks like a small crack on top of the female solenoid inlet? Maybe the 3/8 brass elbow was buried too deep.

Comment

Originally posted by Hosh View Post
            Perhaps you wrapped in the wrong direction. I use teflon dope with everything but 6 wraps sounds like it would surely do the job. Wrap left to right. Righty tighty - Left Loosey. "plumbers" mantra

Edit: Are these at compression fittings? Could the teflon be the problem? I don't teflon or dope supply hoses.

Note: tired and not sure I understand the issue correctly
            No - not compression fittings. Just brass female to brass male.

Comment

A typical DW elbow is 3/4" male pipe thread to the solenoid/3/'" compression. And the flex line is undoubtedly 3/8" compression. ANY tape on THAT fitting will cause a leak. Pipe dope will not cause problems, but is not needed at all. The rubber in the hose fitting is fairly light-weight, so hand tight plus about a half turn is all that is needed . It might be overtightened.

Comment

okay, thanks for the tips guys! I got the brass fitting off, cleaned off the first round of teflon tape, and applied 6 wraps of teflon tape without dope. I then replaced the fitting, and ran a cycle. No drips! It looks like I didn't put enough tape on the male threads.

I'll leave the fascia plate off for a few more cylces, just to be sure.
                Last edited by franklin pug; 05-25-2012, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by franklin pug View Post
                  okay, thanks for the tips guys! I got the brass fitting off, cleaned off the first round of teflon tape, and applied 6 wraps of teflon tape without dope. I then replaces the fitting, and ran a cycle. No drips! It looks like I didn't put enough tape on the male threads.

I leave the fascia plate off for a few more cylces, just to be sure.
                  A brown paper towel or tissue will show the tiniest of leaks easily, just lay it underneath. Glad you didn't get stuck with the hose thread adapter. You must have went to an appliance store rather than a box store, or dropped some good money down.
                  AllurePlumbing.com
                  • leak detection
                  • drain cleaning
                  • utility locating
                  • and other specialties.

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
                    A brown paper towel or tissue will show the tiniest of leaks easily, just lay it underneath. Glad you didn't get stuck with the hose thread adapter. You must have went to an appliance store rather than a box store, or dropped some good money down.
                    I bought a Bosch (about 1000 bucks), as the wife wanted a very quiet DW (this one says it's 48 db). I did pay far more for this unit that any dishwasher in the past. My last dishwasher sounded like an airplane taking off, so this one is far quieter. It's stainless (interior and exterior), Energy Star, and it uses only about 3 gallons of water per cycle. So it should save us some money over time. Hopefully it will be as good as it's reviews!
                    Last edited by franklin pug; 05-25-2012, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by franklin pug View Post
                      I bought a Bosch (about 1000 bucks), as the wife wanted a very quiet DW (this one says it's 48 db). I did pay far more for this unit that any dishwasher in the past. My last dishwasher sounded like an airplane taking off, so this one is far quieter. It's stainless (interior and exterior), Energy Star, and it uses only about 3 gallons of water per cycle. So it should save us some money over time. Hopefully it will be as good as it's reviews!
                      I have yet to hear a complaint. I have yet to find a quieter one. I am not sure what is making it 48 db.
                      AllurePlumbing.com
                      • leak detection
                      • drain cleaning
                      • utility locating
                      • and other specialties.

Comment

Put a BOSCH in today. Cost more than 1k but. mind you I am impressed. Only noise was the pump-out into the drain.

Comment

My Bosch died after 4 years. /shrug. i hated the waste of cabinet space anyway.
                          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Working...
                          X