X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Me

I dropped a 2" root cutter for a KM1500 (1.25" cable) down a four inch sewer line. I heard the cutter go around the entry bend and splash in some water, probably at a wye, maybe 15 feet away from the entry. I was in the process of trying to attach the cutter to a cable and it slipped out of my grasp. The question is what to do? Options:

1) Let it be
    2) SeeSnake it and try to retrieve (I don't have a SeeSnake so will have to hire someone with one)
    3) Try to retrieve without a SeeSnake (I tried hand-turning in reverse a cable with a retriever, with no luck, I was probably pushing the root cutter further so gave up without using the machine any further.)
    4) Attach another cutter to my KM1500 and push the first cutter along to the eventual city sewer line (100' away), hoping it doesn't get jammed on the way.

The 4" line is only lightly clogged with roots (have to clean it on regularly), which was the reason for using the root-cutter to begin with. It is part of my grey water gutter system, which is tied down the line with my main black water and goes to city sewer (this is an old house).

Any advice appreciated. I am likely to hire a pro with a SeeSnake but would like to explore options.

--Bert

Re: Stupid Me

If the root cutters are magnetic and you have access to an old hard drive there is one hell of a magnet in there. Secure it to the camera or get a retrieving tool with your cable and a camera..
    AllurePlumbing.com
    • leak detection
    • drain cleaning
    • utility locating
    • conductor fault locating
    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

a seesnake is a must. a strong magnet might work if the line is not cast iron. otherwise a piece of 1/4'' ice maker plastic tubing as a sleeve for a 1/8'' aircraft wire inside to make a noose with. with the camera and a little patience you will snare it.

i've had to hook my pipe bursting 5/8'' chain 30' into the line a few times and hook the last link. with the camera and a snake with hook auger i managed to grab the end. unfortunately i have experience with this

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Didn't know about the magnet in the hard drives, that's a good tip. There are always a few old computers at the recycle center across the street from me. There'll be one less tomorrow

I've done ok in cast, not 100% but ok, with a magnet by shielding the outside edge with layers of tape and leaving the face open.
        This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Get a welding magnetic ground block.

4" Magnetic Ground Block

Tractor Supply or most welding supply house carry them

Comment

Thanks to everyone who responded. Here is the resolution.

I hired a local guy with a SeeSnake, and encountered a rootball before seeing the cutting head. How this was possible, I don't know since the cutting head was dropped down (doh!) the sewer before I had made any attempt send a cable down. So we had to plow through the rootball with a cable/cutting tool, and then the loose cutter head was 30' down the line once we could definitively see it.

Combine this with the fact that part of the line was cast iron made the idea of using a strong magnet to retrieve the tool difficult to execute on.

So decision was made to continue pushing the loose cutter head all the way to the city sewer. We encountered other obstacles in the way, including roots, debris, and took about 1 hr to push, using the camera head 120' to city sewer. So the head is lost, but at least it is out of the line.

Comment

many many years ago i was camering a line and came across another camera head in the line was too far and too deep to even think about getting out.

so if all you lost was a cutter, you got away cheap

the other guy not so cheap

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                many many years ago i was camering a line and came across another camera head in the line was too far and too deep to even think about getting out.

so if all you lost was a cutter, you got away cheap

the other guy not so cheap

rick.

Think of all the diamond rings that got flushed to glory!

Comment

Originally posted by hochwald View Post
                  I dropped a 2" root cutter for a KM1500 (1.25" cable) down a four inch sewer line. I heard the cutter go around the entry bend and splash in some water, probably at a wye, maybe 15 feet away from the entry. I was in the process of trying to attach the cutter to a cable and it slipped out of my grasp. The question is what to do? Options:

1) Let it be
                  2) SeeSnake it and try to retrieve (I don't have a SeeSnake so will have to hire someone with one)
                  3) Try to retrieve without a SeeSnake (I tried hand-turning in reverse a cable with a retriever, with no luck, I was probably pushing the root cutter further so gave up without using the machine any further.)
                  4) Attach another cutter to my KM1500 and push the first cutter along to the eventual city sewer line (100' away), hoping it doesn't get jammed on the way.

The 4" line is only lightly clogged with roots (have to clean it on regularly), which was the reason for using the root-cutter to begin with. It is part of my grey water gutter system, which is tied down the line with my main black water and goes to city sewer (this is an old house).

Any advice appreciated. I am likely to hire a pro with a SeeSnake but would like to explore options.

--Bert
                  Seems like you already know what you gotta do man. A See Snake is a definite must at this point. I wouldn't want to risk leaving it there.

Comment

Working...
                  X