Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: water pressure spikes overnight

Originally posted by AverageHomeowner View Post
    UPDATE: I hired a plumber to connect a new Thermal Expansion Tank (TET) to my gas water heater. The daytime house pressure is about 60 psi, and previously my overnight pressure was spiking beyond 90 psi.

Following installation of the TET, I placed a water pressure gauge on my hose bib overnight and my pressure is now maxing out just below 65 psi. This means the TET is absorbing the pressure increase which is exactly what I hoped for. Nice to know that my fixtures no longer bear this increased pressure which should help to extend their life.

I love it when a plan comes together! Thanks again to contributors on this forum for their guidance!
    Oh CRAP, Now You tell Me !! I have My expansion tank Plumbed into the Gas line !!
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
      Oh CRAP, Now You tell Me !! I have My expansion tank Plumbed into the Gas line !!
      Thanks for giving me an excuse to post some pics.

The WH is in a small hallway closet along with the furnace. It is pretty cramped in there, and mounting the TET directly on top of the WH would block access to the supply valve behind it. So I created a wooden mount with L brackets and plumbers tape to support the tank and allow easy removal. I hired a plumber to actually connect it to the cold side of the WH supply.
      Attached Files

Comment

the plumber didn't do you a favor. i guarantee you that you'll need to replace that galvanized tee and those couple of gal. nipples within the next couple of years as they will either plug up or leak. in the old days the tee and nipples were usa gal. pipe and fittings. if it's the import junk of today, i would swap it out to brass.

the only thing i use gal for is gas and air. water is a no no unless it's real domestic pipe and fittings.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

You have to admit nice exp. tank job! Beats plumbers tape.
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            the plumber didn't do you a favor. i guarantee you that you'll need to replace that galvanized tee and those couple of gal. nipples within the next couple of years as they will either plug up or leak. in the old days the tee and nipples were usa gal. pipe and fittings. if it's the import junk of today, i would swap it out to brass.

the only thing i use gal for is gas and air. water is a no no unless it's real domestic pipe and fittings.

rick.
            Ugh, I was very specific on the brand of flex connectors (Rino) but I forgot to say "Made in USA" for the fittings, and I didn't know brass is preferred. I checked the tee fitting that was installed and it has the Mueller logo on it. This brand is sold in the big box stores and I think it is imported.

Do plumbers actually buy their stuff in retail box stores? I assumed they go to supply stores that only serve the trade where they would get quality stuff at wholesale prices.

Comment

Mueller and Ford are very big names for fittings.
              AllurePlumbing.com
              • leak detection
              • drain cleaning
              • utility locating
              • conductor fault locating
              • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Rick, when you say gas I suppose you are referring to natural gas and propane? I've had numerous fitters say you shouldn't use galvanized on fuel gas, but at the same time I've seen it and its' fittings used in many domestic heating applications. What's the verdict? Yay or Nay? Drop the hammer Rick and I'll sleep easy tonight.

Comment

believe it or not, my insurance company doesn't allow me to work with propane gas. only natural gas. i guess they feel that a natural gas leak is safer than propane.

but for natural gas, i, we california plumbers have piped just as many miles of gal and black pipe for natural gas with no issues and no code problems.

last big job i did was 544 apartments all galvanized gas piping in the open garage. glad they used it as it's only a couple blocks from the beach/ salt air.

exposed black piping needs to be protected from rusting. and i've seen it rust through.

now diesel fuel i understand will affect the zinc in the piping.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by AverageHomeowner View Post
                    Ugh, I was very specific on the brand of flex connectors (Rino) but I forgot to say "Made in USA" for the fittings, and I didn't know brass is preferred. I checked the tee fitting that was installed and it has the Mueller logo on it. This brand is sold in the big box stores and I think it is imported.

Do plumbers actually buy their stuff in retail box stores? I assumed they go to supply stores that only serve the trade where they would get quality stuff at wholesale prices.
                    The Ferguson's supply house near me sells import galv fittings unless you ask for USA. Then you can expect to pay 2x the cost of import. The sales reps says most buy the import unless the job says otherwise. On the other hand, the galv pipe they sell is USA only I believe, because of the number of returns they had on the other.

I had to replace some 1.25" galv fittings recently, I bought import, I can see rust forming on the outside of the fittings, can only guess what's happening inside
                    Last edited by hochwald; 07-23-2012, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Ah yes - Rick do you remember the great galv vs black iron for NG debate on this site a couple of years ago

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
                        Mueller and Ford are very big names for fittings.
                        I guess brand-name fittings are better quality than no-name fittings. I'll keep an eye on it and hope for the best.

Comment

There must be a faulty pressure reducer in the tank which is not working properly when it needs to reduce the pressure. Replace it; your problem will be solved.
                          Water Leak Repair

Comment

Working...
                          X