X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kohler K-8002 Water Tile

90+ tomorrow. but i will be jetting and should stay cool. second job is cutting in a cleanout under a driveway without breaking the concrete.

any luck with the kohler tiles? the dentist had 4 in the ceiling and 4 on the wall. not fun to keep them spraying evenly.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      90+ tomorrow. but i will be jetting and should stay cool. second job is cutting in a cleanout under a driveway without breaking the concrete.

any luck with the kohler tiles? the dentist had 4 in the ceiling and 4 on the wall. not fun to keep them spraying evenly.

rick.
      Not started the install yet - still waiting for the valve and diverter to arrive from Kohler. I will be only installing two tiles - according to my estimates any more (+ both shower heads) at the same time will probably overload the water heater even in our mild climate (unless it's summer I guess).

What sort of water heater does you dentist have - must be super-sized to run 8 tiles for any decent length of time.

Comment

I have to know Rick ! How are You not going to NOT break the concrete! PICTURES PALEEZE ! I hope You're nor sending
        Lil Phoebe in a TUNNEL !
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
          Not started the install yet - still waiting for the valve and diverter to arrive from Kohler. I will be only installing two tiles - according to my estimates any more (+ both shower heads) at the same time will probably overload the water heater even in our mild climate (unless it's summer I guess).

What sort of water heater does you dentist have - must be super-sized to run 8 tiles for any decent length of time.
          he has 2 tankless heaters.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
            I have to know Rick ! How are You not going to NOT break the concrete! PICTURES PALEEZE ! I hope You're nor sending
            Lil Phoebe in a TUNNEL !
            i located the line 98' away from the 1- 3'' cleanout in the rear. this is the 4'' clay just before the approach and 6'' clay. it's only 1' in from the edge of the planter/ driveway and 1'6'' deep. between my jetter and ridgid jet vac, it should be a breeze.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks ,Thats different ,than what I thought. I thought location was below concrete!
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                he has 2 tankless heaters.

rick.
                Yes I guess that would work. Maybe I should have installed two now come to think of it

I guess there is a limit at some point for gas fired heaters - for example I presume you cannot exceed the CF/H rating of the meter regardless of pipe size. I've never looked inside a meter - is there a restriction device (other than the regulator which I don't know whether it sets an upper limit on the draw)?

Comment

Each meter pushes a certain btu. Don't try to remove anything inside it please. I don't want to see the accident pictures online!

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                    Thanks ,Thats different ,than what I thought. I thought location was below concrete!
                    it is. it's under the driveway, accessible from the planter with digging and hydrojet/vac.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

the gas company will be glad to install the next size meter. it's done all the time for pool heaters.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

I thought I would call Kohler to get clarifications on their instructions. Interesting how someone can appear to be helpful and when you call off you realize that you did not learn an awful lot. For example the instructions refer to the depth of the pipe with reference to the finished wall. So I asked if that meant including the tile - she just repeated that it meant the finished wall Having read over the instructions carefully I have a feel for how the install should be and the part about the plaster guard is very misleading. The lady claimed it was to help with the "framing" but sidestepped the question about how it instructs you to set the pipe depth at that stage.

My feeling is that it was written for a standard cement board + tile installation. If you have something else like stone slab then this would not be correct. The good news is that provided the pipe is not too far out you can get the install done and if you read all the instructions fully. The other good news is that I'm the tile man, the mud man, the plumber...everything so I can figure this out now without having a problem later. I even went to the stone place where I will be buying my tiles with a set of digital calipers to check thickness and consistency of the tiles.

The lady also claimed that the plaster guard is removed before the final install (is this usual??) since the pic in the instructions later on show it with the guard not there. I guess I can leave it in without hampering the install. It is useful to have them to get the tiles lined up using a level.

Comment

Working...
                        X