X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kohler K-8002 Water Tile

Has anyone on here installed these. I'm reading through the instructions and it shows the plaster guard flush with the studs. I thought the plaster guard was supposed to be flush with the final finished wall before tiling. Later on in the instructions it does not even show the plaster guard.

I'm expecting to have 1/2" drywall + 1/2" floated mud wall + 3/8" tile thickness (approx). This means the plaster guard will be fairly set back if it is flush with the studs as shown in their instructions.

Re: Kohler K-8002 Water Tile

i haven't installed it, but i have worked on them after the contractor installed them in a ceiling and wall for my dentist.
    lets just say that phoebe will have free braces if need be

here's the issue. the flow restrictors are located behind the unit and are a nightmare to clean. you need to carefully remove the little set screws from the trim at all sides. then dissemble the shower assy. it's a pain in the butt. once again, it might look nice, but maintaining this stuff is ridiculous.

once you see it like a i do, you will be the guy to re engineer it for kohler and make it right. i honestly think Kohler's designers and engineers never look at it from an owners perspective and certainly don't think about future service. i could write a book on kohler design flaws with toilets being the largest chapter and this head being the next.

good luck. believe me, don't hire a pro do it yourself so it's done right and so you'll know how to service it. but really think twice about this trim/ design.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

i just looked at amazon and read the 4 reviews.

here is the one that stands out and was written by the wife. her husband is a plumber too no it wasn't joey and i making this stuff up either.

1.0 out of 5 stars Plumber advises caution before buying!! READ FIRST!, February 16, 2011

By
      Lynnster (USA CT) - See all my reviews

This review is from: KOHLER K-8002-CP WaterTile 54-Nozzle Bodyspray, Polished Chrome (Tools & Home Improvement)
      For the do-it-yourselver: Beware of this if you are doing a ceiling install!

There is a rubber pad underneath the face plate, and no matter how hard you try to put it in place, it is next to impossible to get properly aligned on the ceiling mounted unit.. Even when the rubber mat/pad appears to be in place, it usually isn't and this can cause numerous things to occur - some hole become non-functional, or the spray may shoot out at odd angles. There are about one hundred holes that must be aligned exactly between the unit holes and the holes in the mat. And it must be 100% exact & this is extremely difficult when standing on a ladder & trying to look behind the plate while holding a flashlight in one hand and allen wrench in the other (comes with tiny wrench you must use, but it's so poorly constructed, your fingers get all chews up when trying to stick it into the small space allowed between the ceiling and the unit. And on and on...

My husband is a plumber & he's installed many of these. The first 3 he installed went well, but the next 3 were impossible due to the alignment of the mat problem described above.

He's also been on many jobs where the plumber gave up and refused to come back after trying over and over to get a ceiling mounted one installed. It's common knowledge that these are a problem (ceiling installs).

Kohler doesn't care; my hubby attended a Kohler seminar on new products & when he mentioned install problems with this ceiling unit, he was told "they'd heard about some problems, but it's here to stay and you'll have to live with it"...Nice, huh!

We may love their products but some are just horribly flawed/poorly designed. Kohler could care less. This is 2nd negative review I've written about Kohler today; our whole house is Kohler so it's not like we hate them - it's just very frustrating at times.

amazing another plumber with the same exact opinion as me. and i swear, i didn't read it first or make this stuff up.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        i haven't installed it, but i have worked on them after the contractor installed them in a ceiling and wall for my dentist.
        lets just say that phoebe will have free braces if need be

here's the issue. the flow restrictors are located behind the unit and are a nightmare to clean. you need to carefully remove the little set screws from the trim at all sides. then dissemble the shower assy. it's a pain in the butt. once again, it might look nice, but maintaining this stuff is ridiculous.

once you see it like a i do, you will be the guy to re engineer it for kohler and make it right. i honestly think Kohler's designers and engineers never look at it from an owners perspective and certainly don't think about future service. i could write a book on kohler design flaws with toilets being the largest chapter and this head being the next.

good luck. believe me, don't hire a pro do it yourself so it's done right and so you'll know how to service it. but really think twice about this trim/ design.

rick.
        Thanks Rick – free dental work for Phoebe sounds good

Reading the manual is a chore in itself. Many steps are not clear at first glance like the plaster guard

Do you recall how the plaster guard had been installed in the dentist’s shower. Do you think these need frequent maintenance even on city water?

I’m surprised these companies don’t talk to customers like plumbers to come up with good and easy to install serviceable designs. It’s inconceivable to me to sell products that never have been tested but it does seem to happen. I cannot get away with that for most of the stuff I develop but the target market typically are other companies so things have a spec in a lot of cases and a lot of time is spent on product definition before it is even developed.

Have you spoken with them and offered feedback on product improvement?

Comment

i just looked at amazon and read the 4 reviews.

here is the one that stands out and was written by the wife. her husband is a plumber too no it wasn't joey and i making this stuff up either.

1.0 out of 5 stars Plumber advises caution before buying!! READ FIRST!, February 16, 2011

By
          Lynnster (USA CT) - See all my reviews

This review is from: KOHLER K-8002-CP WaterTile 54-Nozzle Bodyspray, Polished Chrome (Tools & Home Improvement)
          For the do-it-yourselver: Beware of this if you are doing a ceiling install!

There is a rubber pad underneath the face plate, and no matter how hard you try to put it in place, it is next to impossible to get properly aligned on the ceiling mounted unit.. Even when the rubber mat/pad appears to be in place, it usually isn't and this can cause numerous things to occur - some hole become non-functional, or the spray may shoot out at odd angles. There are about one hundred holes that must be aligned exactly between the unit holes and the holes in the mat. And it must be 100% exact & this is extremely difficult when standing on a ladder & trying to look behind the plate while holding a flashlight in one hand and allen wrench in the other (comes with tiny wrench you must use, but it's so poorly constructed, your fingers get all chews up when trying to stick it into the small space allowed between the ceiling and the unit. And on and on...

My husband is a plumber & he's installed many of these. The first 3 he installed went well, but the next 3 were impossible due to the alignment of the mat problem described above.

He's also been on many jobs where the plumber gave up and refused to come back after trying over and over to get a ceiling mounted one installed. It's common knowledge that these are a problem (ceiling installs).

Kohler doesn't care; my hubby attended a Kohler seminar on new products & when he mentioned install problems with this ceiling unit, he was told "they'd heard about some problems, but it's here to stay and you'll have to live with it"...Nice, huh!

We may love their products but some are just horribly flawed/poorly designed. Kohler could care less. This is 2nd negative review I've written about Kohler today; our whole house is Kohler so it's not like we hate them - it's just very frustrating at times.

amazing another plumber with the same exact opinion as me. and i swear, i didn't read it first or make this stuff up.

rick.
          Ha Ha - thanks for that. I could have got another brand but I was trying to get the trim to match the vanity which is the same family (Kohler Fairfax). I'm not installing them in the ceiling though

Comment

Wow Rick, You just saved Blue a blue Monday! I always enjoyed seeing these in the commercials. Also blue, remember You want 3/4" piping to the shower! Body sprays need a lot of water!
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              Wow Rick, You just saved Blue a blue Monday! I always enjoyed seeing these in the commercials. Also blue, remember You want 3/4" piping to the shower! Body sprays need a lot of water!
              Yes thanks - I have to cut out the floor and redo the plumbing in 3/4". In fact the valve is designed for this system and has 3/4" inlets.

Comment

Wife N I shower outdoors only, Year round. She showers 6 am. I ,being a carpenter ,get dirty and shower at dark.
                It's a treat with our fence low voltage lighting and the Moon. Of course We have 100% privacy, and a spa 30 ft. away.
                San Diego is a great setting for the same.
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

It's been a few years since I installed a system with those heads, but I didn't have any problems putting them together. Maybe I just got lucky.

If I remember correctly, the plaster guard did sit back behind the finished wall for some stupid reason.

Like Rick says Kohler does make some nice looking stuff, and some of it even functions well, but their engineering sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                    Wife N I shower outdoors only
                    When I got back from a tour in Indochina my family was shocked
                    when, at the first sign of a thunderstorm, I ran outside naked with a bar of soap.

Comment

don't hire a pro do it yourself
                      Even taken out of context, that statement speaks volumes.

Comment

If People only Knew what pleasure it is !

Comment

there were days i would come home from a hot day at work and jump right into the pool with just my shorts

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

there were days i would come home from a hot day at work and jump right into the pool with just my shorts

rick.
                            Amost time to start doing it again then - it has been warm here this week - I'm sure it is warmer for you there.

I always thought of the bay area as a cold place but people who live in a real winter climate would probably disagree

Comment

Being from Boston , I love this climate ! Threw My long Johns off the Golden Gate Bridge ! 9:40 Off to the wonderful Shower.

Comment

Working...
                              X