X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best sink basket strainer to use

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
    Kohler duostrainer. Nuff said.
    The Dearborn Brass 816 is a solid cast brass assembly like the Due Strainer. Only difference is it uses the large retaining nut, but its not that crappy zinc diecast crap its solid brass as well. And its half the cost of the Kohler strainer.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    Ron's Facebook
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by shock1964 View Post
      I dont use silicon or putty for a kitchen sink. the manufacturer provides that thin black gasket to be used for just that purpose, and I never have had even one leak related to that.
      I prefer this one, similar to the others shown. http://www.kindred-sinkware.com/grfx...specs/1130.pdf
      I have found most of these to be crap due to me replacing others. I also hate the fact that many don't seal flush and leave standing water.
      AllurePlumbing.com
      • leak detection
      • drain cleaning
      • utility locating
      • conductor fault locating
      • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

I've always used the double cup with putty. Never had a leak or a call back on them and I buy them for under seven dollars. I've had the same one in my sink for 10 years and it looks like the day I installed it.

Comment

the problem you're encountering with the installation is 3 fold.

stainless sinks don't allow for much putty to actually stay after tightening as there is no real taper to capture the putty.

the sinks are thin and vibrate when the disposal is used and that will shake the tail pieces and strainer causing a leak.

i've always had much better luck with the 3 bolt strainers than a single nut. plus removal after years of service is a breeze compared to a solid nut. die cast nuts are not legal too.

in your case i would probably switch to silicone to prevent the issues you're having. although i never have needed silicone for this.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

stainless sinks don't allow for much putty to actually stay after tightening as there is no real taper to capture the putty.

Thank you Rick. That statement aboves makes a lot of sense. I don't have any disposals in the sinks as they a re a maintence headache with renters putting all kinds of crap down them.

I will switch to useing the 3 bolt design and silicone. I had heard about silicone before, but i thought it would take about 24 hours to dry.

thanks again

Comment

the manufacturer provides that thin black gasket to be used for just that purpose,

I thought the black gasket goes under the sink between the bottom of sink and nut??

Comment

can i just buy the silicone you see at home depot or lowes in the caulk section?

Comment

As long as it says 100% silicone.
                  AllurePlumbing.com
                  • leak detection
                  • drain cleaning
                  • utility locating
                  • conductor fault locating
                  • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Thank you all

Comment

My favorite strainer is the Wolverine Brass double cup one that Gettinit mentioned. Very heavy duty and a very reasonable price.

Comment

Doubl cup strainer is good. It was very effective. Some of my clients prefer this kind.
                        How to find the Best Australia Plumbing Services?

Comment

Working...
                        X