Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Shower valve disassembly before sweating?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shower valve disassembly before sweating?

Is this typically done? The instructions to the pressure valve and transfer valve say not to apply direct heat to the body which is fairly obvious - also the connections are threaded. I'm also pre-making as much as possible before threading the connectors including the sweat connections to the sweat end of the threaded fitting..

The closest fitting which will have to be sweated in place will be 6" and further away. Would it still be prudent to disassemble the internal components before proceeding with the install or is that sufficiently far away to cause any real damage. The instructions are a bit vague on what is acceptable.

Re: Shower valve disassembly before sweating?

Take it out and you don't have to worry.
    AllurePlumbing.com
    • leak detection
    • drain cleaning
    • utility locating
    • conductor fault locating
    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

my recommendation is pretty much what you've described. pre fabb the c x mip x 6'' stub adapters and let them cool. dope and or teflon them into the valve body. then hang your valve and continue to pipe the rest of the fittings. you can easily wrap a wet rag around the valve at the adapters to act as a heat sink, but at 6'' away there's not enough heat transfer to cause an issue. i have some special cold spray, but soapy water works great too.

when i use to prefab hundreds of valves for projects, i always like the ips valves for this reason and also it allowed you to tweak the angle if need be with the adapters.

taking apart the valves in production is a drag. it's the plastic cartridges that are much more subject to heat damage. sometimes keeping them in the open position was all that's needed.

think about all the cxc ball valves we sweet 1/2'' - 4''. there is no taking apart a normal ball valve to sweet.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I've done the wet rag trick in the past - not sure of I saw it somewhere or I just came up with it at the time - when I had a similar situation while installing my water softener some years ago. I presume they provide threaded connections for this reason. Taking it apart looks like a bit of a drag as you say - that 3/4" pressure valve is huge compared to the regular 1/2" valve and the transfer valve has a huge nut in the body to unscrew - not sure I even have a wrench in my collection which will fit.

Comment

remember years ago iron pipe threads were the standard as copper was not real common until the 70's.

you need to get a ridgid e-110 wrench if you plan on doing nice finish work on chrome traps, flushometers and any surface you need a smooth wrench with a large opening.

best finish wrench out there.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

think about all the cxc ball valves we sweet 1/2'' - 4''. there is no taking apart a normal ball valve to sweet.
            We do it all the time though.
            AllurePlumbing.com
            • leak detection
            • drain cleaning
            • utility locating
            • and other specialties.

Comment

I will look into that wrench - all my large wrenches are pipe wrenches which are not appropriate for hex type nuts. I highly rate Ridgid wrenches - I have a mix of Ridgid and some cheap (I think Chinese) wrenches and I regret not getting all Ridgid - they cheap ones don't work well at all. My bigger wrenches (upto 24") are all Ridgid. I may get rid of the cheap smaller ones and replace them with Ridgid.

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
                We do it all the time though.
                You take apart the ball valve?

Comment

Actually I read the instructions to the end and it says to take it the pressure valve apart before running the water so it may make sense to take it out early since it's going to come out anyway. I can leave the transfer valve as it is since the closest connection to that is at about 10".

Comment

Hans Grohe and Grohe both have inwalls that ship w/o the cartridge, thought they do have integral stops (which on big jobs more than 2 baths come in handy) which can be damaged by too much heat. The advantage with this is you can flush the valve before you install the cartridge. On large houses, the inwalls go in as much as a year before the are trimmed. In that time the waters cohabitants in the water lines with flux, reamings, etc., a good bet to clog any filters or worse working parts in a thermostatic or pressure balanced cartridge.
                    I too, use an e-110 occasionally. On 17 gauge chrome P-Trap nuts I don't, and it's a very rare occasion when my channel locks mar the finish.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
                      You take apart the ball valve?
                      No, we solder all of the time.
                      AllurePlumbing.com
                      • leak detection
                      • drain cleaning
                      • utility locating
                      • and other specialties.

Comment

I take almost everything apart that I solder. Except ball valves. But I sure start spraying the body of the valve with water slowly. Progressively faster and faster to cool it down, but not cool down too fast.

Diss assemble all shower valves. It will make you way more familiar with how they work. I'm paranoid about over heating non metal parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
                          No, we solder all of the time.
                          I thought you were going to show us a new trick

Anyway it is all going to come out now as far as the pressure valve - I agree that's obviously the safest method.

Comment

They do make valves that are a 3 piece design meant to be taken apart for silver soldering.
                            AllurePlumbing.com
                            • leak detection
                            • drain cleaning
                            • utility locating
                            • and other specialties.

Comment

Well okay I caved in, bought that E-110 wrench that was mentioned and disassembled both the pressure valve and the transfer valve. I noticed that the interior of the pressure valve is coated in a greasy substance but not the transfer valve - is it plumbers grease? I was wondering if it would be a good idea to re-grease the insides before reassembly. Not sure why the insides of the transfer valve is dry - should they not have greased that also? Of course the instructions makes no mention of this.

Comment

Working...
                              X