X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjusting Drain for Plumb

Any tips to take care of this while gluing. I'm assuming the drain riser will be slightly tilted due to the slope in the drain unless adjusted. Is it sufficient to glue and then bend the riser slightly while the glue is setting with the aid of a level to ensure plumb or is there another way (or special fittings) that take care of this?

Re: Adjusting Drain for Plumb

typically the shower drain base will rest squarely on the plywood floor or concrete floor. the abs should not be stressed to keep it flat.

a no hub 2'' band could also be used as a connection to allow for a slight alignment issue, but with good assembly the trap and riser should be fairly square. remember there is still about 2.5'' of concrete that will be placed above the drain body along with the pre sloping and hot mopping. the 2 part drain will be securely sandwiched above the layers of hot mopping. that's what really needs to be square and level.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I'm installing a Kerdi drain along with Kerdi membrane so no hot mopping. The procedure is to install the drain at a certain height above the plywood (about 2" - 2.5") and then make the mud floor which will go under the drain flange so the drain will not be under any pressure to make it plumb and if not taken care off, will be out of plumb unless traps are designed to take care of this. Actually, thinking about it this is a general question, how is this correction taken care of in general when connecting drains to sinks and tubs - is it just by putting the ABS piping system under stress? I looked at the P trap I have and both faces are parallel so I don't see a correction.

Comment

Glue/primer doesn't seal gaps. It chemically bonds pipe to fittings. Never stress a joint or pipe.
        AllurePlumbing.com
        • leak detection
        • drain cleaning
        • utility locating
        • conductor fault locating
        • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

If you're close it won't matter because the Kerdi drain has a lateral adjustment collar as well as a height adjustment collar. Their on line installation video shows the drain being installed onto the shower sub body before it's hooked up to the waste line, so I don't think alignment will be an issue. From my experience, Schluter systems are just that, a complete system and as such they are usually installed by the tile man and not the plumber.
          Last edited by Plumbus; 06-17-2012, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
            If you're close it won't matter because the Kerdi drain has a lateral adjustment collar as well as a height adjustment collar.
            My understanding of the lateral adjustment is to allow side to side movement parallel to the floor to try and center the drain along the tiles for symmetry - not for rotational adjustment to take care of plumb.

Comment

You could lead it in if you stub up cast or use lead wool with plastic.
              AllurePlumbing.com
              • leak detection
              • drain cleaning
              • utility locating
              • conductor fault locating
              • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                If you're close it won't matter because the Kerdi drain has a lateral adjustment collar as well as a height adjustment collar. Their on line installation video shows the drain being installed onto the shower sub body before it's hooked up to the waste line, so I don't think alignment will be an issue. From my experience, Schluter systems are just that, a complete system and as such they are usually installed by the tile man and not the plumber.
                i agree on the diagram of Plumbus. this is realy good. It aswers the question well.
                How to find the Best Australia Plumbing Services?

Comment

Working...
                X