X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Options for stopping water trickle while soldering

Other than the Jet Swet what are the other options for stopping water flow. I don't expect this to be an issue for me on this project but it's always good to be prepared.

The photos I've seen of Jet Swet only shows a straight arrangement. Does this mean it cannot be used on runs with 90 bends.

I saw another tool on plumbingsupply.com which operates on a cable and can go around bends.

I cannot find liquid filled capsules that they used to sell. Fergson says they not seen these in years.

Lots of talk about the bread trick. How good is that. I don't particularly like that idea plus of course everyone says using wholegrain bread with seeds is a bad idea as it can clog up parts of the plumbing.

Just curious as to what tools are around for this and what I may have missed.

Re: Options for stopping water trickle while soldering

propress and sharkbite

plain white bread. just make sure to flush it out. it does plug aerators and screen/ flow restrictors.

of course on a single family home, shutting the water and opening up some lower fixtures will usually drain it enough to get it done. then there's the compressed air or a shop vac to blow or suck.

the cable style water stops are ok for no pressure. the best ones i've seen were a flexible rubber surgical tube with a little self contained water pump to inflate them. used a high temperature leader hose. only saw them once at a trade show and then they disappeared. even tried to buy the sample they had.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Propress
      AllurePlumbing.com
      • leak detection
      • drain cleaning
      • utility locating
      • conductor fault locating
      • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Depending on the speed of the drip, if you can take an air compressor, or simular slip a tube on the blow gun and blow the pipe for a section of it dry or empty may be the more correct term, and get it soldered before it gets water back to that point, if it seeping you have time for one solder fitting, and you need more time ofor more work solder on a threaded fitting and either cap or put a valve on the threaded fitting and then contiue, (even taking a dowl or a rod and puting into the pipe to remove the standing water can work some of the time,

If it is jsut a small seep, the white bread does work and has worked for me in the past,

never used one, but my guess is a shark bite would be a poors mans propress,
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Attachment This is what I use. Attach to a hose bibb and pump away.
          Portable, fast, and powerful. It will prime a well and has no problem removing all
          water from system. Especially good for slab leaks when you are sweating at the
          lowest point of the system.
          Attached Files

Comment

Really? Not to be rude but, go work for a plumber.

How you stop water is quit paying your bill.

Comment

" I don't expect this to be an issue for me on this project but it's always good to be prepared."

I thought you were an engineer? What kind of project are you doing plumbing on? What kind of engineer are you?

Comment

cant beleive were giving him info...............................and when i say were i mean everyone but me and some others..... hire a plumber there mister engineer rather than try to leech knowledge of off us pros that make a living on how to do PLUMBING............

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  propress and sharkbite

plain white bread. just make sure to flush it out. it does plug aerators and screen/ flow restrictors.

of course on a single family home, shutting the water and opening up some lower fixtures will usually drain it enough to get it done. then there's the compressed air or a shop vac to blow or suck.

the cable style water stops are ok for no pressure. the best ones i've seen were a flexible rubber surgical tube with a little self contained water pump to inflate them. used a high temperature leader hose. only saw them once at a trade show and then they disappeared. even tried to buy the sample they had.

rick.
                  LOL - Yes I forgot we now have SharkBite and Propress not to also mention Pex. Not to start another Propress or Sharkbite debate but I'm wondering if things like these are resulting in less tools for sweating copper. In time sweating/soldering could well become obsolete.

Yes Ferguson says they not had those capsules in a while. I had some in my toolbox but I don't know where they went.

That tool you mentioned sounds interesting - wonder why they never took it to market.

On a side note - some news for those who think the price of the propress tool is going to give you some kind of advantage - here in SD Ferguson is renting out that tool. If there is business doing that I could buy a few and rent them out

I've never had an issue with water draining and messing up my joints even at the lowest point in the house - I just started this thread to see if there were any new/state of the art tools for this that I may have missed over what I have known from the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt T Service and Repair View Post
                    cant beleive were giving him info...............................and when i say were i mean everyone but me and some others..... hire a plumber there mister engineer rather than try to leech knowledge of off us pros that make a living on how to do PLUMBING............
                    Thanks for the advice.....sadly I won't be taking it........

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                      never used one, but my guess is a shark bite would be a poors mans propress,
                      I just used a Sharkbite for temporary caps and they work great.

Comment

Originally posted by stolen View Post
                        Really? Not to be rude but, go work for a plumber.

How you stop water is quit paying your bill.
                        Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                        " I don't expect this to be an issue for me on this project but it's always good to be prepared."

I thought you were an engineer? What kind of project are you doing plumbing on? What kind of engineer are you?
                        Originally posted by Matt T Service and Repair View Post
                        cant believe were giving him info...............................and when i say were i mean everyone but me and some others..... hire a plumber there mister engineer rather than try to leech knowledge of off us pros that make a living on how to do PLUMBING............
                        guys, once again you are wrong in trying to deter from the forum.

pretty simple to read the forum headline for posting a question.

Ask the Plumbing Experts

(95 Viewing)
                        Have a question for the Professionals. Want some advice about a situation. This is the place for you.

so as you can see, there might only be a handful actually active members posting, there are 95 viewing at 8:43 pm pst.

no one is forcing you to answer the question. but at the same time you shouldn't be attempting to tell him to hire a pro. i guarantee you his work will embarrass 99% of the members on this forum. but that's a whole different matter.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          guys, once again you are wrong in trying to deter from the forum.

pretty simple to read the forum headline for posting a question.

Ask the Plumbing Experts

(95 Viewing)
                          Have a question for the Professionals. Want some advice about a situation. This is the place for you.

so as you can see, there might only be a handful actually active members posting, there are 95 viewing at 8:43 pm pst.

no one is forcing you to answer the question. but at the same time you shouldn't be attempting to tell him to hire a pro. i guarantee you his work will embarrass 99% of the members on this forum. but that's a whole different matter.

rick.
                          Thanks Rick - I really wonder what has happened to this forum lately. The behavior of a lot of people on here is quite poor including towards yourself. Those plumbers who behave in this manner are not a good advertisement to the plumbing trade - they don't actually see that people from their area might be viewing what they are posting (especially if they make it clear who they are) and they also hinder good discussions. Other than yourself and a few other regulars I don't rate a lot on here in terms of knowledge and skill.

Comment

it amazes me too. anyone who thinks they haven't learned from these forums including all the pros is an outright liar. anyone here who hasn't attempted to fix their own car/ truck or painted their own house/ apt is also questionable.

if a person is willing to get their hands dirty, there's no reason why they can't come here looking for advise and asking logical questions. that's what this forum is all about.

why some find to distract from it is amazing. especially when it's open to pros and non pros.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

I have my theories on certain individuals here after observing posting behavior. You don't have to be psychologist to figure out some if it. Needless to say I don't we think we are missing a lot in terms of knowledge and learning by some of these individuals not posting. The real issue is when they congregate and try to derail a thread (pack mentality). On the last few threads this has happened generally all it takes is one before a few more come out of the woodwork.

Comment

Working...
                              X