Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

floor drain overflows when toilet flushes????

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• floor drain overflows when toilet flushes????

Why would the floor drain rush up, overflow a little and then back down when the the main floor toilet flushes. A new toilet was installed in the basement w/o a trap 4' from the stack line. It won't hold water, and when I plug the floor drain, the new basement toilet won't flush, and hold water. My roof vents are clear. I cleaned every underground line out. When I plunged the floor drai, I got wooshing sounds in the down toilet and sump pump. Why the sump?? 1950S HOUSE, CITY.

Thanks much.

Re: floor drain overflows when toilet flushes????

are you a plumber or drain cleaner?

Comment

Property owner. And, small plumbing and moderate drain cleaning experience. Trying to assess the problem.

Comment

You need to snake Your main line. Big machine !Best to do them all.
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I'd hate to take that beast down there again. I cleaned it out three to four times already. Twice with a 3" cutting head. My new basement toilet and sink was not vented or trapped. 3' from the main stack. Could this ommittance cause a rush up from the floor drain upon flushing main toilet? I'm not getting overflow anywhere except the ruch upon flush. I don't understand why one flush would cause a surge immediately upon flush. Now typing this makes me think it's got to be air that's ruching and pushing the water???

Comment

My best guess is there is no vent coming off the toilet. or the floor drain is not trapped. to find out I would look in the floor drain to see if its holding water. if not than theres your problem. Also with that toilet , I see you said its 4 feet from the stack. You have to make sure that they didnt' put any crazy turns in the line from the stack to the toilet. My option would be to rent a camera snake from your local Hardware/supply store and camera the line to make sure everything is ran correct an take it from there.
            Wise man said "Hot on the left, cold on the right,
            crap flows downhill, and checks come on Friday"

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Green View Post
              My best guess is there is no vent coming off the toilet. or the floor drain is not trapped. to find out I would look in the floor drain to see if its holding water. if not than theres your problem. Also with that toilet , I see you said its 4 feet from the stack. You have to make sure that they didnt' put any crazy turns in the line from the stack to the toilet. My option would be to rent a camera snake from your local Hardware/supply store and camera the line to make sure everything is ran correct an take it from there.
              Rent a camera from a hardware store,since when did hardware stores carry sewer cameras?
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                Rent a camera from a hardware store,since when did hardware stores carry sewer cameras?
                That's what I was wondering!
                Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Originally posted by ommegang View Post
                  I'd hate to take that beast down there again. I cleaned it out three to four times already. Twice with a 3" cutting head. My new basement toilet and sink was not vented or trapped. 3' from the main stack. Could this ommittance cause a rush up from the floor drain upon flushing main toilet? I'm not getting overflow anywhere except the ruch upon flush. I don't understand why one flush would cause a surge immediately upon flush. Now typing this makes me think it's got to be air that's ruching and pushing the water???
                  The toilet has it's own trap.... as for the venting, if it's not vented, it needs to be. It sounds like this bathroom may not be original to the house and somebody ran toilet and lav drain into your houses french drain (may be why your sump pit is making noises)

Comment

In over a decade of solving drainage problems I have yet to see a vent or lack of a vent cause any problem other than smell.

Is this the same issue you discuss here https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t41171/ ?

What happened to the washing machine part of it?

What does this mean? "It won't hold water, and when I plug the floor drain, the new basement toilet won't flush, and hold water." It is not clear what you are saying.

This is also unclear "When I plunged the floor drai, I got wooshing sounds in the down toilet and sump pump." What is a down toilet? It it a downstairs toilet? Please take the time to proofread your posts so we don't have to guess at what you mean.

As near as I can tell from the garbled posts, plumber 26 nailed it "and somebody ran toilet and lav drain into your houses french drain."

If you would like some help with this, I'll try if you will try to answer questions clearly. Would you like to try?
                    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

pretty simple question and the answer will cut to the chase.

did the toilet and floor drain just recently start doing this? or has it been since day 1?

the pump is for rain water or is it a pump for the basement toilet/ sink drain?

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                        Sorry guys didnt' know you would take it so literally. What I meant was rent it from where ever they have them in his area. Like his local Homedepot or so. We have a place like Thomas Summerville or Sunbelt where you can rent them. I dont know what he had in his area, but hopefully he got the idea.
                        Wise man said "Hot on the left, cold on the right,
                        crap flows downhill, and checks come on Friday"

Comment

Working...
                        X