Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: shower pan inspection.... really?

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
    Our inspectors back in NC would have crawled back under the shower area to make sure everything was dry while under test. Here? Not so much. I've not had an inspector even ask for a pressure test on my waste or water lines. Much less the shower pan.
    WHOA, I'LL BE DOWN WITH MY CAMERA ! An inspector in a crawler !!! Hard to believe!
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I will tell you this as well.... you cant get a more prefect slope to a drain unless your using a pre-manufactured sloped pan. You do one shower this way using the backer to slope it, and you will never turn back. Its a FRACTION of the pre-man'd units, and you can make it almost any size. The final product is perfect, no puddles, no dips, just perfect slope and a level outer ring to start your wall tile on. Its taken me some testing and trials to get it the way I like but I have found it to be nearly fool proof. Only one (being honest here) that has given me fits is the one I did for my brothers Father-in-law, and the 1 1/2" out of level floor on 4', under the shower kicked me and it all drains but one little spot next to the drain... makes me angry that I didnt catch it before. I even drained the floor before laying it, and it all drained out, but maybe because of the slate tile not all being the same thickness or something. Anyway, I'm fixing it, end of story.

Comment

I also use the sloap kits. on curbless showers, I ran it by an inspector years ago. He said" only if You bring Me a Dr's statement, a medical condition requires this" She is a dancer, curb went in. Also a floor drain is necessary. Did You sloap outside floor and have a floor drain ?
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
          It is a liner, just not the type that many use to use and some still do. RedGard is 100% approved by the national plumbing code for "pan liner use" but no idea why this guy had no idea what I was trying to tell him over the phone.

The final result of doing it this way is way better in my opinion, NO cement to suck up water and mold, walls and floor are COMPLETELY sealed, no way for water to enter them in anyway. The only thing that can get wet is thinset and grout, thats it. You can honestly stretch this stuff like a contractor garbage bag, it will literally stretch over 1/2-1" without tearing. If it tore, that means there is a GIANT problem in the house and a wall moved A LOT!

He made it sound as if the pictures and a description of what I did would sufice and that as long as I have the specifications from CBP on the use of it for a shower pan I would be ok, but obviously I hate not knowing at this point...
          I hate you are going through that BS because the inspector didn't do his job. I will be looking into this product now.
          AllurePlumbing.com
          • leak detection
          • drain cleaning
          • utility locating
          • conductor fault locating
          • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

Redguard is fine as a pan liner, but I'm not sure your install would be approved by the manufacturer. Not saying it's going to leak, but that not how they want it installed. Deck mud with fiberglass mesh is usually how I do it. I use stucco mesh and Kerdi drain so I don't have to make a divet around the shower drain. I use Aquadefense, I prefer it over Redguard. Your pan won't leak, hope the inspector will approve it for you.
            Will Rogers Plumbing
            Moore, Oklahoma
            (
            405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
            http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

I got failed for not having done the firestop flashing around a fiberglass shower drain in the far reaches of a hateful crawl space. I was still green then, and thought that there was no way an inspector would ever crawl back there to check.

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
              WHOA, I'LL BE DOWN WITH MY CAMERA ! An inspector in a crawler !!! Hard to believe!
              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by Gettinit View Post
                What city? They barely look in a crawl space much less get in it...lol

Who did you work for? I think you said the city was WS or am I confusing you with another?
                I can think of a few inspectors around here that MIGHT peek their head in a crawlspace door...... 9 out of 10 times they'll say, "OK, looks good. Have a nice day!" You do get the occasional 'cowboy' who likes to create new codes on-the-fly but, that only happens in Winston.

Comment

Only 1 inspector that I know of.
                  AllurePlumbing.com
                  • leak detection
                  • drain cleaning
                  • utility locating
                  • and other specialties.

Comment

Who do you work for?
                    AllurePlumbing.com
                    • leak detection
                    • drain cleaning
                    • utility locating
                    • and other specialties.

Comment

Who do you work for?
                      I'm the bald-headed guy at Central Carolina Plumbing.... I think I see you in the High Point Ferguson every now and then?

Comment

Only 1 inspector that I know of.
                        I'm assuming that one inspector is in Greensboro?

Comment

Nice steps that you share Alphacowboy. That was an effective way to inspect shower.
                          How to find the Best Australia Plumbing Services?

Comment

Originally posted by plumbers101 View Post
                            Nice steps that you share Alphacowboy. That was an effective way to inspect shower.
                            Let's hope the inspector agrees, still haven't returned my phone calls...

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
                              You have got to be kidding me... So, is this a bullsquat rule that our local Minneapolis board decided to implement? I just did a bathroom in a brand new home in Minneapolis, home owner is the general contractor. I've never done a shower in mpls before, and never ever needed a shower pan inspection in the past 8 years I've been doing this. Plumber or home owner never mentioned anything to me about it, not sure they were aware as the plumber doesn't usually work in mpls either. Anyway, inspector came to do a final and is not passing it due to no pan inspection. I haven't used a "pan liner" in over 2 years due to the, let's be frank, archaic nature, there's better options. Anyway, my base is backer board that is sloped(I'll show you pics later, i can't post them from my phone) and then 5 coatings of Redgard applied with a 1 1/2 nap roller. Corners have tile backer tape imbedded between layers 2 and 3 to increase strength. It's also a curbless shower, so the entire floor was coated including taped corners and coated up 3" on the wall (tile base) just for the heck of it. I'm kind of worried, but I did take pics, and I know redgard is approved for that use.... Am I screwed? I wasn't there, so I need to give him the pics and the redgard specs.
                              Alpha,

Shower pan inspections have been required in Minneapolis for a number of years. This policy is a result of the city being sued due to an improperly installed shower pan leaking and it was never inspected. So now they are. So I guess poor craftsmanship is the real reason you're having an issue right now. My experience with Minneapolis inspectors though is that they're very good about informing the plumber that a shower pan inspection is required.

I work in Minneapolis quite a bit. The good news is in my experience Minneapolis plumbing inspectors are top notch and not out to just mess with you, they simply want assurance the job is done properly. If you can provide photo or video proof of a pan or an accepted equivalent then I think you have a very good chance of them working with you for a positive result. They really don't want you to have to tear out the shower either.

Worst case maybe you get the owner to sign an affidavit indemnifying the city from any liability should the shower pan leak. (Just an idea)

BTW: Three inch high barrier seems on the low side for what I normally see when tile guys run vinyl up the wall but I'm not a tile guy. I've seen that red stuff, and it seems to becoming more popular.
                              Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Shower pans are one of those CYA inspections that I think is important because you have two different people doing the same thing..... I don't want to be responsible if the tile guy rips my liner while laying tile and later when used I get blamed for installing a leaking pan..... If you get it inspected, you have proof that it held for x amount of time and will not have to do work twice! (for free anyway)

Comment

Working...
                                X