X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: shower pan inspection.... really?

Thanks Geno, makes me feel a little better about it. The 3" up the wall was just outside the shower, in the shower area its up 7'. I cover the entire wall with the red stuff before I tile. Maybe I'm old school in my thinking, but if I installed it and it leaked, its my problem to fix, no one else's. People who pass the buck and refuse to take responsibility bother me greatly. In 8 years and dozens of showers later, I've had one shower leak. And that leak was due to my own fault. The pan was fine, and wasn't leaking, I had the glass guys install the shower door on the outer edge of the curb instead of the middle. The liner wasn't that far out in the curb and the aluminum channel was collecting water under it and was eventually seeping through the grout and out that way. This job was the reason I quit using traditional pan liners. I thankfully was able to repair that shower by removing just the curb, moving the liner a bit closer to the face repouring the cement, and then coated the entire curb with 4 coats of redgard, been leak free for over a year and a half.

I'm surprised that the city could be sued over that, from my understanding, unless an inspector fraudulently, ie never actually looked at anything and just signed the permit card and left, they couldn't be held liable for anything. Oh, and this home owner would be willing to sign a waiver to wave the city from any responsibility, as he thinks its stupid as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
      Thanks Geno, makes me feel a little better about it. The 3" up the wall was just outside the shower, in the shower area its up 7'. I cover the entire wall with the red stuff before I tile. Maybe I'm old school in my thinking, but if I installed it and it leaked, its my problem to fix, no one else's. People who pass the buck and refuse to take responsibility bother me greatly. In 8 years and dozens of showers later, I've had one shower leak. And that leak was due to my own fault. The pan was fine, and wasn't leaking, I had the glass guys install the shower door on the outer edge of the curb instead of the middle. The liner wasn't that far out in the curb and the aluminum channel was collecting water under it and was eventually seeping through the grout and out that way. This job was the reason I quit using traditional pan liners. I thankfully was able to repair that shower by removing just the curb, moving the liner a bit closer to the face repouring the cement, and then coated the entire curb with 4 coats of redgard, been leak free for over a year and a half.

I'm surprised that the city could be sued over that, from my understanding, unless an inspector fraudulently, ie never actually looked at anything and just signed the permit card and left, they couldn't be held liable for anything. Oh, and this home owner would be willing to sign a waiver to wave the city from any responsibility, as he thinks its stupid as well.
      You do great work. Good luck
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Shwoo! Talked to the head plumbing Inspector today, and he was cool with my description of my work and told me to leave the photos for the final inspection.

Thanks geno for calming my nerves and pm'ing me the head inspectors name since the switch board operators were of no help.

I left a flyer from Custom with the pictures with the approved code number for shower pans as well. The latest info from custom on redgard basically confirmed my install was 100% in-line with their installation guidelines. Woohoo!

Comment

glad it worked out for you. but remember that shower pan test are typically part of our plumbing inspection and permits. hopefully the inspector will appreciate all the steps and documentation you're providing for him.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
            Shwoo! Talked to the head plumbing Inspector today, and he was cool with my description of my work and told me to leave the photos for the final inspection.

Thanks geno for calming my nerves and pm'ing me the head inspectors name since the switch board operators were of no help.

I left a flyer from Custom with the pictures with the approved code number for shower pans as well. The latest info from custom on redguard basically confirmed my install was 100% in-line with their installation guidelines. Woohoo!
            Good news! From your pics it looks like you have a handle on it. FWIW, my builder friend uses nothing but redguard for shower pans. I was telling him my plans for two new bathrooms with walk in showers. He stopped me when I started talking about liners and told me about redguard. It is the only way he will do a shower now. Good luck with the head dick on the final.

Comment

Working...
            X