X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flushmate III Recall

Don't know if this is of interest to anyone, but with over 2 million units recalled some of the plumbers might be interested. Press Release:

The following recalls have been announced:
    ____
    TOILET FLUSHING SYSTEMS
    DETAILS: Flushmate III Pressure-Assist Flushing Systems manufactured by Flushmate of New Hudson, Mich., a division of Sloan Valve Company; sold at Home Depot and Lowe's stores, distributors, plumbing contractors and toilet manufacturers nationwide. The Series 503 Flushmate III Pressure Assist flushing systems are installed inside toilet tanks. The units are rectangular, black, two-piece vessels made of injection molded plastic. They were manufactured in the United States.
    WHY: The system can burst at or near the vessel weld seam, releasing stored pressure. This pressure can lift the tank lid and shatter the tank, posing impact or laceration hazards to consumers and property damage.
    INCIDENTS: Flushmate has received 304 reports of the product bursting, resulting in property damage and 14 impact or laceration injuries.
    HOW MANY: About 2,330,600 in the U.S. and 9,400 in Canada. FOR MORE: Contact Flushmate at 800-303-5123 Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. EDT, or visit the firm's website at Flushmate and Flushmate .

Re: Flushmate III Recall

I've never sold one and never will. This isn't the first time it's happened.

Comment

thank you cjh20

you just saved phobe's, joey's and my a$$ from a potential tank explosion

takes 1 minute to go to the website and verify ser. numbers/ dates.

waiting for the new tank to arrive. hopefully the plumber doesn't charge me an arm and a leg to install it

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

A granny at a local restaurant had just gotten comfortable when a flushmate exploded. Tank lid flew into the air and crashed to the floor at her feet and knickers. We replaced 6 new Toto's the next morning. That was about 6 years ago. Since that time, we only touch them to remove and replace them. Don't need the liability for someone else's mistakes.

Comment

Great!

I have several dozens of these time bombs floating around the city ready to go off. Mostly in office buildings and churchs. Now I need to make that uncomfortable phone call to the facility managers. We've seen a pretty high failure rate with these things over the years. I just attributed it to our poor water quality and maintenance monkeys screwing around with them when changing cartridges. I'd have to look but I'll bet we've changed out 5 split bladder tanks already this year.

Thank You Sloan for dragging your feet 10 years on this....Made in America!!!

Comment

now the rest of the story.

i called joey this morning to let her know that the master toilet has been recalled and the water was off. of course it really wasn't off, but it is one on the recall list. told her she has to use phoebe's little baby devoro 10'' high toilet. that it would be a week for the tank to come in. joey was pissed. i even called mark to let him in on the joke.

so joey is paging me for the info and # to sloan. i tell her to look it up and they should have our info as i just emailed everything 30 minutes before.

here's where it gets good. she's at a toy store in the mall and talking to mark who she likes to call "marky mark" she is pissed and upset about the delay and talking loud enough for others to hear. so who comes up to her and ask if she's talking about him?

the real marky mark/ mark wahlberg i guess he figured it out since joey was talking toilets. hopefully joey gave marky mark my number he recently purchased a 6 1/4 acre lot in beverly hills and is going to build his dream mansion on it. 8 mil. not bad for an empty dirt lot

needless to say after joey got done with sloan. the new tank will be here tomorrow.

i've had a few with small hairline splits that would loose the air charge, but never had one explode. except for the kohler designed 1 pc. toilets that were pulled many years ago.

now before i installed phoebe's 10'' baby toilet, i had a american standard with the sloan pressure tank there for approx 18 years and it never required anything. nothing, but that was the older top flush and had the stainless end caps.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              now the rest of the story.

i called joey this morning to let her know that the master toilet has been recalled and the water was off. of course it really wasn't off, but it is one on the recall list. told her she has to use phoebe's little baby devoro 10'' high toilet. that it would be a week for the tank to come in. joey was pissed. i even called mark to let him in on the joke.

so joey is paging me for the info and # to sloan. i tell her to look it up and they should have our info as i just emailed everything 30 minutes before.

here's where it gets good. she's at a toy store in the mall and talking to mark who she likes to call "marky mark" she is pissed and upset about the delay and talking loud enough for others to hear. so who comes up to her and ask if she's talking about him?

the real marky mark/ mark wahlberg i guess he figured it out since joey was talking toilets. hopefully joey gave marky mark my number he recently purchased a 6 1/4 acre lot in beverly hills and is going to build his dream mansion on it. 8 mil. not bad for an empty dirt lot

needless to say after joey got done with sloan. the new tank will be here tomorrow.

i've had a few with small hairline splits that would loose the air charge, but never had one explode. except for the kohler designed 1 pc. toilets that were pulled many years ago.

now before i installed phoebe's 10'' baby toilet, i had a american standard with the sloan pressure tank there for approx 18 years and it never required anything. nothing, but that was the older top flush and had the stainless end caps.

rick.
              For that kind of money I could buy 5 million acres with multiple lakes and rivers and a custom 8K square foot log cabin. Man I swear, some people just don't get it.
              I lived out there for a long time. Made tons of money with a large business and many trucks etc. Big huge house with a matching monthly payment. I guess when you start getting older you realize what's really important, I'm 47 years old and I feel blessed
              . I now own my home (which is very nice) outright. I also own recreation property 20 acres and another home outright, no payments. Taxes for both properties combined is 900 bucks a year. THANK YOU CALIFORNIA!!!!! The grass truly is greener on the other side. People can brag all the they want about living there, I'll never do it again. I took the money and ran as fast as I could just before it all came crashing down.

Comment

Oh god, I have a few of these toilets out in the field, and in 2 public restrooms.

Still love the toilet though, and will be changing out all 3 in my house with them.

Comment

Nothing new, those things have allways been ticking time bombs.
                  Will Rogers Plumbing
                  Moore, Oklahoma
                  (
                  405) 323-2852

"Your Solution for Any Sewer and Drain Cleaning Needs"

"We Unclog Drains That Others Can't"

www.willrogersplumbing.com
                  http://willrogersplumbing.com/?page_id=8

"Oklahoma's Favorite Plumbers!"

Comment

Thanks for sharing it. Now I know the brand that whom I count on in buying quality product.
                    How to find the Best Australia Plumbing Services?

Comment

ok sorry for the delayed post. but i was in the dog house

so sloan came through better than expected. the complete retrofit kit showed up at 9am the very next morning. i guess joey knows who's buttons to press.

the kit is a very simple install as long as you have a standard left hand flush when looking at the tank from the front. of course i had a right hand flush that still can easily be done, but the instruction sheet says to call sloan for help. i actually didn't call and did it with no real directions.

the issue is that the horse shoe stainless strap is not flexible and needs to loop under the tank and secure to the top with 2 furnished screws into the top tank screw holes. the right side is where they designed the kit to go. but when you have a right side flush, then you have to get it around the handle assembly and remove the linkage assembly for the handle. a pretty simple task even for a homeowner with nothing more than a screwdriver or 1/4'' nut driver. then there is the external secondary pressure regulator that attaches to the bottom of the tank fill shank. this extends the length approx. 4'' and is only an issue if the feed line is ridgid or the angle stop is right below the tank fill.

so then came the fun. once i installed the retro strap and regulator, the upper supply/ vacuum breaker/ air inducer started to leak. the problem was that the lower pressure now with the new regulator and the fact that this was a kohler. the kohler lower supply/ regulator uses a flow restrictor. this was designed to quiet the fill by slowing down the flow. not knowing that it was there and behind the lower filter screen, i removed the tank to replace the lower supply. that also allowed me to swap the strap to the left side as it was now out of the china tank.

follow the pictures to see the steps involved. standard installation without removing the tank, less than 5 minutes. even faster if it was a contest

rick.

retro fit kit. strap, lower regulator and 2 screws to secure the strap.

regulator with toto bidet waslet tee installed. fancy kohler angle stop.

standard sloan III tank before the retro fit.

retro strap on the right side with right hand flush. normally it's a left hand flush and then the strap is still on the right without the handle linkage to mess with.

ended up pulling the tank to remove the lower supply regulator. at this point it's possible to install the strap on the left side. as you can see the strap woould never slip around the regulator if still installed in the tank.

the kohler oem lower regulator uses a flow restrictor under the screen. they no longer use the flow restrictor.

here's the close up of the removed restrictor. a drywall screw or corckscrew makes for a simple puller.

rick.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 06-25-2012, 11:45 PM. Reason: photo links.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

this morning i actually spoke to the sloan rep and supervisor. both very nice and knowledgeable.

keep in mind that of the over 2.5 million units in the recall. only 300 have reported a problem.

also the 2 that i' had in my home for 16 and 18 years, first generation. i never had a stoppage and never had to replace any parts. show me 1 toilet that has lasted this long with no service or replacement parts. these were the first generation top tank lid center flush button.

i feel sloan has stepped up to the plate and has exceeded both joey's and my expectations.

wish this would rub off on kohler. but as we know it hasn't and probably never will

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Here is a photo I thought i had posted here a couple of years ago. Maybe it was on the Ridgid blog I was doing at that time. This is from a friend's sister in Florida. The user had just stepped out of the stall
                          Attached Files
                          "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Rick, i see you are still using the washlet... who knew the bidet would stay.

Comment

Working...
                            X