X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drain vents

Howdy. I'm in the process of installing a metal roof on my house and want to change the routing of all my drain vents, including sewer vents through my gables(atmosphere) instead of through the roof.
    I need to know some ins and outs of this type of venting.
    Is this a viable option to keep my roof clear and clean of vent pipes.
    I like the clean look of no vents poking through.
    Not sure if this is advisable, but I have seen people cut the vents off flush with the roof decking and let it vent under the metal. The height of the lathe boards and the rib channels in the metal panels are their means of venting.
    Any opinions or advice? I know, keep it simple, vent it out the roof....

Re: drain vents

Yes Those pipes sticking up ruin the clean astin martin look ! Someone that knows about this will be along shortly. Maybe NH MASTER will explain scooter vents? Good luck
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

although the clean look and no flashings would be nice, the vents/ vent needs to terminate above the roof line or wall.

so if you go out the side wall, it technically needs to be 1' above anything within 10' of it. also remember that if you tie the vents together, they still need to add up to the cross sectional area of the building drain. most likely a 4'' vent would be required.

so yes, it can be done. but done properly might be lots of work and look a little strange.

whatever you do, don't cut the vents below the tin to vent under the metal

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

The problem with not extending the vent above the roof is condensation and stagnation of the air when there is no wind to move the air from under the roof
        sigpic

Comment

not to mention the corrosive atmosphere of the venting byproducts.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

I believe you,re in snow country. In the mountains
            Vents are run insine up to the ridge where they exit.
            Not doing this ,the snow N ice slide down the metal roof
            Shear of the vents. We have BIG SNOW ![
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Is there a way to combine them all into one manifold type vent and run it out the gable on the rear slope of the house? Or maybe running them together and exiting through the roof on the rear slope of the house only? 4" ?????
              Just liking the looks of a smooth roof without the "stacks" sticking through ; )

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                not to mention the corrosive atmosphere of the venting byproducts.

rick.
                Yah, I thought of that too when I had a guy trying to talk me into venting under the tin. Plus the odor factor that may or may not "pass" around the house.....

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                I believe you,re in snow country. In the mountains
                Vents are run insine up to the ridge where they exit.
                Not doing this ,the snow N ice slide down the metal roof
                Shear of the vents. We have BIG SNOW ![
                I'm in the deep south. Snow here is like a blue moon.

Comment

yes, should be no problem running them together into a 4'' common line. i would still install them with slope / grade so that no rain, or snow will get trapped. not sure what the codes are for snow penetrations, but i do know what they are for sun

i would use plastic that's properly supported every 4'.

sounds like a nice clean look. many hi end homes out here are also vented to the rear of the home out of sight.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                  X